Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

45th annual DBR Mock Draft, 2016 - It's a wrap!

We got so many folks signed up so quickly, we are ready to start the draft. Please make your pick in a timely fashion. If you know you are not going to be available for several hours, you can PM your pick to me or pfrduke and we will post it for you.

One of the most important things you do, by the way, is to explain your pick. Why did you select the player in question and how does he fit into your team's plans for the future. As a reminder, even if NBA trades happen over the next few days, our mock draft order is locked at this point. We ignore all NBA trades made at this point.

So, with that, lets get this started. Here is the draft order...

1. Philly - pfrduke : Brandon Ingram, F, Duke
    2. L.A. Lakers - Edouble : Ben Simmons, F, LSU
    3. Boston - NashvilleDevil: Marquese Chriss, PF, Washington
    4. Phoenix - gurufrisbee: Dragan Bender, PF, Croatia
    5. Minnesota - flyingdutchdevil : Jamal Murray, SG, NBA Prep U
    6. New Orleans - brevity : Buddy Hield, G, Oklahoma
    7. Denver - Reddevil : Jaylen Brown, SF, Cal
    8. Sacramento - johnb : Kris Dunn, PG, Providence
    9. Toronto – mattman91 : Jakob Poeltl, C, Utah
    10. Milwaukee - KaZe : Wade Baldwin, PG, Vanderbilt
    11. Orlando - NSDukeFan : Henry Ellenson, PF, Marquette
    12. Utah – FerryFor50 : Denzel Valentine, SG, Michigan St.
    13. Phoenix - gurufrisbee : Deyonta Davis, PF/C, Michigan St.
    14. Chicago - CDu : Skal Labissiere, PF/C, NBA Prep U
    15. Denver - Reddevil : Furkan Korkmaz, SG, Turkey
    16. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Domantas Sabonis, C, Gonzaga
    17. Memphis - jacone21 : Timothe Luwawu, France
    18. Detroit – DukeTrinity11 : Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame
    19. Denver - Reddevil : Brice Johnson, F, UNC
    20. Indiana - luburch : Malik Beasley, G, FSU
    21. Atlanta - Jason Evans : Dejounte Murray, G, Washington
    22. Charlotte - JNort : Malachi Richardson, SG/SF, Syracuse
    23. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Tyler Ulis, PG, Kentucky
    24. Philadelphia - pfrduke : Cheick Dialo, PF, Kansas
    25. LA Clippers - theschwartz : Taurean Prince, SF, Baylor
    26. Philadelphia - pfrduke : DeAndre Bembry, SG, St. Joe's
    27. Toronto – mattman91 : Patrick McCaw SG, UNLV
    28. Phoenix - gurufrisbee : Thon Maker, F, High School
    29. San Antonio – subzero02 : Ante Zizic, PF/C, Croatia
    30. Golden State - SilkyJ : Damian Jones, C, Vanderbilt

Second Round
    31. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Malcolm Brogdon, SG, Virginia
    32. LA Lakers - Edouble : Isaia Cordinier, G, France
    33. LA Clippers - theschwartz : Juan Hernangomez, PF, Spain
    34. Phoenix - gurufrisbee : Stephen Zimmerman, C, UNLV
    35. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Caris LeVert, G, Michigan
    36. Milwaukee - KaZe : Ivica Zubac, C, Bosnia and Herzegovina
    37. Houston - Troublemaker : Guerschon Yabusele, PF, France
    38. Milwaukee - KaZe : Petr Cornelie, PF, France
    39. New Orleans - brevity : Rade Zagorac, F, Serbia
    40. New Orleans - brevity : Gary Payton II, PG, Oregon St.
    41. Orlando - NSDukeFan : Diamond Stone, C, Maryland
    42. Utah – FerryFor50 : Zhou Qi, C, China
    43. Houston - Troublemaker : Pascal Siakam, PF, NM State
    44. Atlanta - Jason Evans : Cat Barber, PG, NC St
    45. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Michael Gbinije, G, Syracuse
    46. Dallas - tfk53 : Dorian Finney-Smith, F, Florida
    47. Orlando - NSDukeFan : Wayne Selden, F, Kansas
    48. Chicago - CDu : AJ Hammonds, C, Purdue
    49. Detroit – Jason Evans : Ben Bentil, PF, Providence
    50. Indiana – luburch : Chinanu Onuaku, PF/C, Louisville
    51. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Jake Layman, F, Maryland
    52. Utah – FerryFor50 : Isaiah Whitehead, G, Seton Hall
    53. Denver - Reddevil : Perry Ellis, F, Kansas
    54. Atlanta - Jason Evans : Georgios Papagiannis, C, Greece
    55. Brooklyn - Awhom111 : Kay Felder, PG, Oakland
    56. Denver - Reddevil : Daniel Hamilton, SG/SF, UConn
    57. Memphis – jacone21 : Fred VanVleet, PG, Wichita St
    58. Boston - NashvilleDevil : Marshall Plumlee, C, Duke
    59. Sacramento - johnb : Jarrod Uthoff, F, Iowa
    60. Utah – FerryFor50 : Robert Carter, PF/C, Maryland

-Jason "it's a wrap!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-11-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I will explain in more detail later, but in the interest of time, the Sixers are thrilled to select Brandon Ingram. In short, we think he's going to be the next Durant and we don't want to pass that up.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-04-2016 at 11:16 AM.

With the second pick in the draft, the LA Lakers select Ben Simmons.

Hoping to compete for another run of titles with another LSU guy, the Lakers are thrilled when Ben Simmons falls out of the #1 spot, as Brandon Ingram heads to Philadelphia. With Simmons publicly proclaiming his desire to play for the Lakers for months now, the Lakers know that the prize of the 2016 draft will bring his "A" game moving from the Tiger's purple and gold to the Laker's purple and gold.

The number two pick's play making abilities are a huge plus for a Lakers team that is on somewhat rocky ground with last year's number two pick and playmaker, D'Angelo Russell. If all goes well, Russell and Simmons could look like Russell and Durant in a few years, but if team chemistry forces the Lakers to deal Russell, Simmons may just step up and answer his calling as "the next LeBron James".

With the 3rd pick of the 2016 DBR Mock Draft the Boston Celtics select, Marquese Chriss, University of Washington.

My thinking behind this pick is Chriss has the highest upside but because of Boston's tremendous infrastructure he will not be pressured to produce or be a franchise savior like the top 2 picks.

Wow. I'm all kinds of shocked. Shocked we're starting already. Shocked it's already my pick. And mostly shocked that with the #4 pick in the DBR mock draft, the Phoenix Suns are able to take:

DRAGAN BENDER

The 7 foot Croatian teenager was our hope and desire going into this and we're ecstatic to be able to snag him here. We generally like our backcourt trio of Bledsoe, Booker, and Knight but the Suns are a wasteland in the frontcourt. We're not sure if Bender ends up as our center - which now is the rebound only combination of Tyson Chandler and Alex Len (and actually they often played them together) or power forward where we really only have Teletovic left. Bender has huge offensive upside and is already a terrific passer who will continue to improve our offense (we're bottom ten in the league in scoring per game).

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Wow. I'm all kinds of shocked. Shocked we're starting already. Shocked it's already my pick. And mostly shocked that with the #4 pick in the DBR mock draft, the Phoenix Suns are able to take:

DRAGAN BENDER

The 7 foot Croatian teenager was our hope and desire going into this and we're ecstatic to be able to snag him here. We generally like our backcourt trio of Bledsoe, Booker, and Knight but the Suns are a wasteland in the frontcourt. We're not sure if Bender ends up as our center - which now is the rebound only combination of Tyson Chandler and Alex Len (and actually they often played them together) or power forward where we really only have Teletovic left. Bender has huge offensive upside and is already a terrific passer who will continue to improve our offense (we're bottom ten in the league in scoring per game).

Everything I have seen about this kid suggests long term all-star. Very impressive. Videos of his passing talent fun to watch.

As much as I want Ingram to flourish, in 5 years Bender may well be looked at as the gem of the 2016 draft. Hopefully, he and Ingram can have their battles as to who was the best pick.

The guy who might very well end up the best player in the draft is still on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    The guy who might very well end up the best player in the draft is still on the board.
    Believe me, I know. I pick #6, but I've got to wait for flyingdutchdevil to pick for Minnesota at #5, and pray to Dean that the Mock Wolves don't draft
    Spoiler!

That's the one!

Yeah, there is talk that Philly is considering him with the #1 pick. Supposedly, he had a workout with them that just blew them away.

-Jason "I wonder if we are talking about the same player" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, there is talk that Philly is considering him with the #1 pick. Supposedly, he had a workout with them that just blew them away.

-Jason "I wonder if we are talking about the same player" Evans
    I think we probably are.

Let me revise that. We definitely are not!

Well almost everyone is still on the board.

Although I wonder how often the best player from the NBA draft does NOT go in the top four.

Babywolves

FDD in his second year as GM of the Babywolves had success with drafting KAT in the first round and Terry Rozier in the second round.

As we enter a new season, the Babywolves are stacked. PGs, SGs, PFs... We have it all. All we need is time and trade chips.

So... Let's take the best player left on the board.

With the fifth pick of the draft, the Babywolves select... Jamal Murray from the university of NBA. Excellent shooter, good D, good size, huge potential.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Well almost everyone is still on the board.

Although I wonder how often the best player from the NBA draft does NOT go in the top four.
    That shouldn't be too hard to determine for the last 40 years... I would guess that it happens a bit under 50 percent of the time. The jury is obviously still out on some of the more recent draft classes.

Also, some years are a lot more cut and dry than others... 97 tim duncan#1 ...03 james#1... but 1999 Brand #1, Lamar Odom #4, Ron artest #16, ginobili#57... you could also make an argument for Andre miller #8. All 5 of these players had points in their careers where you could make the argument that they were better than the other 4. In my opiniom, it comes down to Brand or Manu and I can make strong arguments for both.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    FDD in his second year as GM of the Babywolves had success with drafting KAT in the first round and Terry Rozier in the second round.

As we enter a new season, the Babywolves are stacked. PGs, SGs, PFs... We have it all. All we need is time and trade chips.

So... Let's take the best player left on the board.

With the fifth pick of the draft, the Babywolves select... Jamal Murray from the university of NBA. Excellent shooter, good D, good size, huge potential.
    This was the guy Jason was talking about.

#6: The New Orleans Pelicans select Buddy Hield (SG, Oklahoma)

It's the 45th annual DBR Mock Draft. The New Orleans Pelicans can lay an early claim to the most depressing offseason so far, but at least there's a draft and an actual lottery selection to lift fans' spirits. Last year, in the 23rd annual DBR Mock Draft...

Wait a minute. Let's pause for a moment and compare the math skills of our DBR Commissioner with the two most recent NBA counterparts.

Jason Evans: Yeah, last year was the 23rd mock draft. This year is the 45th. It's, like, new math.

Adam Silver: I don't think that's how new math works. Are you sure you went to Duke?

David Stern: Math? Who cares about math? I just need Patrick Ewing to go to the Knicks. You do the math.

Anyway, the Pelicans need to improve now. Last season had 21 players (!) on the roster at some point, 20 of whom started at least once, and only two of whom appeared in more than 70 games. Anthony Davis is enjoying, but not really enjoying, his early prime years. The three-headed injury bug of Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, and Tyreke Evans is finally breaking up, with Gordon likely gone this summer as an unrestricted free agent, and Holiday and Evans under contract for one more season. Also look at the rapidly declining NBA Southwest Division, where Dallas, Houston, and Memphis finished at or around .500 and won't improve without significant free agents. With a few smart moves and some health/luck, the Pelicans could jump into 2nd place.

With Gordon gone (please be gone), the Pelicans need a shooting guard likely to make an immediate impact, and you can see where this is going. Buddy Hield is a do-everything scorer who shoots and finishes well. The NBA Combine lists him as 6'5" with a wingspan just over 6'9". Not exactly Klay Thompson sized, but better than Gordon. I don't expect him to score 25 per game like he did at Oklahoma, but he doesn't need to do that as the team's 2nd or 3rd offensive option.

The Pelicans need to take a smart step in the right direction. This is it. Then, in the summer of 2017, they can remove more high-priced dead weight and pick wisely in the 67th annual DBR Mock Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It's the 45th annual DBR Mock Draft. The New Orleans Pelicans can lay an early claim to the most depressing offseason so far, but at least there's a draft and an actual lottery selection to lift fans' spirits. Last year, in the 23rd annual DBR Mock Draft...

Wait a minute. Let's pause for a moment and compare the math skills of our DBR Commissioner with the two most recent NBA counterparts.

Jason Evans: Yeah, last year was the 23rd mock draft. This year is the 45th. It's, like, new math.

Adam Silver: I don't think that's how new math works. Are you sure you went to Duke?

David Stern: Math? Who cares about math? I just need Patrick Ewing to go to the Knicks. You do the math.

...Then, in the summer of 2017, they can remove more high-priced dead weight and pick wisely in the 67th annual DBR Mock Draft.
    You broke the code!!

Last year was the 23rd DBR Mock Draft to honor Chris Carrawell, Brian Davis, and Shelden Williams.
    This year was the 45th annual Mock Draft to honor Clay Buckley, Dan Meagher, and the Pagliuca brothers.
    Next year we will find some other players to honor.

-Jason "I'm leaning toward next year being #34, in honor of Mike Dunleavey, Ryan Kelly, Carmen Wallace, and Jim Spanarkel" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    With Gordon gone (please be gone), the Pelicans need a shooting guard likely to make an immediate impact, and you can see where this is going. Buddy Hield is a do-everything scorer who shoots and finishes well. The NBA Combine lists him as 6'5" with a wingspan just over 6'9". Not exactly Klay Thompson sized, but better than Gordon. I don't expect him to score 25 per game like he did at Oklahoma, but he doesn't need to do that as the team's 2nd or 3rd offensive option.
    This was the guy that GGLC was talking about.

Indeed it was. I think Hield has got a really good chance of being a superstar.