Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Ali

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Maybe they're remembering this scene?
    Holy...!, I just noticed that the kid in the barber chair is Cuba Gooding Jr. He does not have a line in the entire scene, but that is him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Holy...!, I just noticed that the kid in the barber chair is Cuba Gooding Jr. He does not have a line in the entire scene, but that is him.
    Yep, it was his first movie credit. He's listed in the credits as "Boy Getting Haircut." He was 20 years old at the time.

There was a scene in which he had a few lines, but it got cut.

Also appearing in one of his early movie roles was Samuel L. Jackson. He plays the guy who tries to rob McDowell's restaurant, and is "thrashed" by Akeem (Eddie Murphy).

Other trivia -- James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair play the king and queen in Coming to America. They again would play a royal couple in another movie six years later, as King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi in The Lion King.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't know, anti-lock brakes can stop a truck.

Nice piece about the relationship between now-Duke doc Mark Stacy and Ali.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/health...acy/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Ali also had some interesting views on relationships.

In any case, I agree with you on admiring Ali despite his flaws. He certainly had my admiration.
    All people have flaws of course. I'm neither and expert on Islam nor on Ali, but I do think it's worth mentioning that Ali converted to Sunni Islam 4 years after this clip, and this interview happens at a very... let's say contentious moment in US history. His religious views evolved over time, and marked that of a person who was self-reflective and thoughtful about his faith. You shouldn't condense a complicated and life-long self-examination to a single interview that happened very early in the struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    All people have flaws of course. I'm neither and expert on Islam nor on Ali, but I do think it's worth mentioning that Ali converted to Sunni Islam 4 years after this clip, and this interview happens at a very... let's say contentious moment in US history. His religious views evolved over time, and marked that of a person who was self-reflective and thoughtful about his faith. You shouldn't condense a complicated and life-long self-examination to a single interview that happened very early in the struggle.
    Good point, although that certainly wasn't my intention. Let's amend my previous statement to say, "Ali once held some interesting views on relationships, but those views may have changed later on in life after he and other members of the N.O.I. converted to mainstream Sunni Islam."

Besides, because of Ali's humor, very few people watching that clip could end up being offended. I certainly laughed at parts of it, as did the audience. And I did mention that I admired Ali, suggesting that I took a look at the totality of the man, and didn't judge him off of one clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It is amazing to me that given the AMOUNT of information and media dedicated to Ali in the last 48 hours, that precious little mention is made of the seemingly unavoidable connection between Ali's tragic health and death, and his chosen career. The only peep I have heard was a graphic that came up on CBS this morning that mentioned Ali had taken an estimated 26,000 blows to the head over his lifetime.

I know that we live in an age of NFL/CTE controversy, but it seems almost absurd that no one is talking about what looks like a wildly obvious angle to his tragedy. I mean, no one pretends that boxing is a healthy sport or that repeated blows to the naked head are good for you, but how can you ignore that the second half of his life was inexorably ruined by getting throttled in the ring?
    I've been a lifelong boxing fan, and I think most acknowledge that boxing was the (primary) cause of his Parkinson's. It's long been viewed that way by most, in my opinion. I just think that now, the story is the passing of this major figure, his career and what he stood for, what he meant to people, etc., and I think rightfully so right now. I don't think the story right now is how he got Parkinson's. Additionally, as opposed to football where people are learning about the long term effects of playing football at a high level, the dangers and effects of boxing have long been understood. We have all seen many boxers suffer from their craft, especially with slurred speech, slow reflexes, memory losses, among other conditions. I don't think that's a surprise to anyone, and with respect to Ali, that has been discussed many times over.

When I was a younger fan (I was born in the early 70's), I did not always appreciate the true greatness of Ali. When I was younger learning about Ali in the late 70's/early 80's, I retroactively started out a Joe Frazier guy. However, as I got older and learned more about Ali, watched the tapes of his earlier career, learned what he went through, what he stood for, what he sacrificed, how he entertained, how smasrt and funny he was, his banter with Cosell, the people he touched all over the world and everything everyone else has already mentioned, I appreciated the greatness of the boxer and the man. I do always say, and have said recently, that he went too far in his attacks on Frazier. However, that aside and as others mentioned, that should in no way take away from everything else he stood for and meant.

In a world where people often want to take the easy way out for the greatest amount of money and glory (though I'd sign up for that), Ali not only told you how great he was, he dared to be great. He challenged everyone. He fought opponents multiple times. He fought opponents he wasn't supposed to win. He fought the toughest challengers out there. He fought around the world. He didn't let fights "marinate", making fans wait years to see them. In his early years, he moved and boxed like no heavyweight before him or since. Later, like a pitcher who loses some MPH off his fastball, he adjusted and still won, beating the young lions trying to challenge him. Unfortunately for him, he also could take everyone's punch. He was the Greatest. RIP champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It is amazing to me that given the AMOUNT of information and media dedicated to Ali in the last 48 hours, that precious little mention is made of the seemingly unavoidable connection between Ali's tragic health and death, and his chosen career. The only peep I have heard was a graphic that came up on CBS this morning that mentioned Ali had taken an estimated 26,000 blows to the head over his lifetime.

I know that we live in an age of NFL/CTE controversy, but it seems almost absurd that no one is talking about what looks like a wildly obvious angle to his tragedy. I mean, no one pretends that boxing is a healthy sport or that repeated blows to the naked head are good for you, but how can you ignore that the second half of his life was inexorably ruined by getting throttled in the ring?
    Interesting coincidence that Will Smith played both Ali and the CTE doc.

The Greatest Touched Duke too

https://medschool.duke.edu/about-us/...r-gift-courage

Emerging from the celebration of Ali's life here in Louisville, I thought it fitting that the best sport's forum on the interweb have a thread to share thoughts and inspirations about Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    https://medschool.duke.edu/about-us/...r-gift-courage

Emerging from the celebration of Ali's life here in Louisville, I thought it fitting that the best sport's forum on the interweb have a thread to share thoughts and inspirations about Muhammad Ali.
    Well I didn't even think to check the off-topic forum before I posted that.

These last three days in Louisville have been like nothing I have ever experienced. There is a calm sense of purpose and - for lack of a better word - Love, down here. I live a few blocks from the Muhammad Ali Center and work at 10th and Broadway, next door to Central High School, his alma mater. Some of the folks I care for went to school with, grew up with, one even baby-sat for Muhammad Ali. Hearing their stories, their lived lives brought back memories of my own upbringing when Ali was framed in a very different light. I remember a tv broadcast of him running, training, when some children starting running with him. He slowed his roll, played with them, jabbed at them, took their punches and fake crumbled just to spring back up and continue training. This contrasted deeply with the vitriol I was hearing about this "monster" from the news, my culture, my own family. It taught me to look at the actions of a man, not the reputation. As the funeral procession rounded 34th onto Grand, kids from his old 'hood started running with the hearse and all that came rushing back like a long learned lesson that opened the door to a thousand other things this Saint taught me...

I didn't take pictures or touch his hearse or high five Will Smith as they rolled by us down Broadway. I felt better standing in reverence, touching my heart and blowing kisses to Lonnie and Laila and Maryum. They were glowing, revelling in the love His town finally poured out for our favored son. Glowing, smiling, tears running down their faces.

Lonnie hollered, "Thanks for loving him!'

How could we not, honey. How could we not...

His Memorial Service: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYFb97j7Ro

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Good point, although that certainly wasn't my intention. Let's amend my previous statement to say, "Ali once held some interesting views on relationships, but those views may have changed later on in life after he and other members of the N.O.I. converted to mainstream Sunni Islam.
    I don't think his views on relationships in the video you posted are particularly 'interesting'. I think it's a very a commonly held viewpoint shared by a sizable percentage of the world's population.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I share the admiration for Ali. I idolized him in my youth for his principled stand against the Vietnam War. Not that I agree with his religious beliefs, but I think they were sincere and worthy of protection. I've heard him called a draft dodger -- that's unfair. He hate the wealth to flee to another country to dodge the draft. Or he could have accepted the army offer to serve in a non-combat role (as Joe Louis did in WWII). Instead. he refused service and went to court to fight induction -- and after three and a half years, the Supreme Court sided with Ali against the government.

I admire him for his boxing ability -- I'm not enough of a boxing expert to judge whether he was the greatest boxer of all time ... but he's in the conversation.

But he was unquestionably the greatest athletic figure of the 20th Century -- at least when you consider world-wide impact. I once read an argument that he was the most famous, popular single figure in the history of the world. Ali couldn't walk down a street in the most remote African village or through a small town in Cambodia without being mobbed.

That said, there were things about Ali that I didn't like. You can argue that he originated the modern practice of trash-talking in sports. He was usually funny and entertaining when he did (more than his emulators), but he could be cruel too -- there is no excuse for his crude attacks on Joe Frazier.

Still, all our heroes have flaws -- and despite his flaws, Ali was a giant.
    Can't believe you and I agree on something, for the most part. Ali was certainly one of the greatest heavy weights ever, no doubt the best of his generation.
    As for the past heavyweights, the only one I believe may have beaten him (MAY) was Rocky Marciano. 49 and 0, 43 by knockout. He was a beast. Ali once joked that "Marciano would hit ya so hard it would jar your kinfolks in Africa!"
    That would have been an interesting bout. Ali was much faster, had a huge reach advantage, but Marciano was a powerful man, rated as the most devastating puncher ever.
    There was a computer bout between the two greats..
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...dugTjOAoQLKBQ-

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    As for the past heavyweights, the only one I believe may have beaten him (MAY) was Rocky Marciano. 49 and 0, 43 by knockout. He was a beast. Ali once joked that "Marciano would hit ya so hard it would jar your kinfolks in Africa!"
    Sorry, couldn't resist posting this in response.

Warning: Contains NSFW language.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015