Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"The Offseason with Jon Scheyer" Podcast

GoDuke link

This might be very interesting. 12 weekly episodes.

A national champion as both a player and coach at Duke, Scheyer will use his unique perspective to provide listeners with insight into what the offseason is like for coaches and players in both the Duke men’s basketball program and college basketball in general.

I just subscribed via Itunes and listened to the 2-minute teaser from Jon.

Apparently Nolan will be joning Jon on this podcast.

I'm getting pretty pumped about this. Can't wait for June 10th.

Cool. This will make the offseason easier to deal with. There's a lot to discuss regarding this upcoming season. Two of our likely starters will be returning from season ending injuries. I hope we get some positive news about their recoveries through these podcasts.

A national champion as both a player and coach ...

That would be an interesting list... I don't think anyone has won as both player and head coach (that I can think of). Who has some free time to hit the Googler?

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

That would be an interesting list... I don't think anyone has won as both player and head coach (that I can think of). Who has some free time to hit the Googler?
    John Wooden. As player it was pre NCAA

This is great! Good for Jon. Maybe he'll have blazindw as a guest.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Looks like the DBR podcast has some competition. Time to step up your game, fellas!

This podcast sounds awesome and will definitely fill a void during the summer. I believe Kentucky has a radio show that talks hoops every day all summer long. Made me jealous. There should be plenty to talk about between the new players, summer workouts, recapping last season, previewing next season, etc.

Bump.

Haven't listened to episode 1 yet, but it's available.

Dean Smith was on Kansas' team in '52 when they won the NC, IIRC. No idea if he played, or what kind of player he was.

(I know he was a cheating hypocrite as a coach, but that's not news.)

Edit: per http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...ll_players.pdf

Dean appeared in 19 games that season, averaging 2.0 ppg. (the year prior he averaged 0.6 ppg and appeared in 5 games; the following year he averaged 1.9 ppg and appeared in 25 games). His love of low-scoring games must have come from a lack of personal scoring in college; at least that's my new theory.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-10-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Bobby Knight won it with Ohio State as a player and Indiana as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Bobby Knight won it with Ohio State as a player and Indiana as a coach.

True, but there are differences: Knight was a player in '60 only after the game became a blowout, but was head Coach in '76; Scheyer was a starter in '10, but was an assistant Coach in '15 -- and only Scheyer was both player and coach for the SAME school.

Well worth a listen. Not only for the inside look at things but Jon is also very well spoken and a perfect pod caster!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I think it was pretty good and it will get better. I think the key to being considered a good interviewer is asking the questions the listener wants to ask. When they were interviewing Jah, it felt like a puff piece. I honestly wanted to hear more about Jah's NBA experience, including his transgressions. But, it was a real insider job from that perspective, and I expected as much. Also, Nolan needs to let his personality out a little more. For someone who seems to be bubbly and outgoing he comes across way too understated and "Mr. Cool" in interview scenarios. By doing a podcast, you are now a media personality my man, give us some of that charisma!

A little OT but did anyone catch the new Bill Simmons HBO promo ad declaring that the Trump U. basketball team would have been Duke and featured Trump's head morphing into the Blue Devil?

I hope Simmons gets hit by a meteor on the top of his tiny pinhead. He's such an unfunny moron.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think it was pretty good and it will get better. I think the key to being considered a good interviewer is asking the questions the listener wants to ask. When they were interviewing Jah, it felt like a puff piece. I honestly wanted to hear more about Jah's NBA experience, including his transgressions. But, it was a real insider job from that perspective, and I expected as much. Also, Nolan needs to let his personality out a little more. For someone who seems to be bubbly and outgoing he comes across way too understated and "Mr. Cool" in interview scenarios. By doing a podcast, you are now a media personality my man, give us some of that charisma!
    Right, we shouldn't expect differently. I'm sure if Jah ever does a podcast with Zach Lowe or The Ringer or maybe even JJ, he'll go into the NBA struggles. But I enjoyed the heck out of the trip down memory lane with Jah about various key games during '14-'15 season and the brief discussion Nolan/Jon had with Jah about whether the 2010 team would beat the 2015 team. This was good pod, fanboy as it was.

Listened to the first ep and liked it a lot. Jah raised an interesting question for me. Who would win between the 14 and 16 recruiting classes in a game? Obviously they'd have to play 4 on 4. I will always side with Tyus Stones, but what does everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    Listened to the first ep and liked it a lot. Jah raised an interesting question for me. Who would win between the 14 and 16 recruiting classes in a game? Obviously they'd have to play 4 on 4. I will always side with Tyus Stones, but what does everyone else think?
    Why would it be 4 on 4? You not counting Semi Ojeleye?

Even still, I'll take 2014 as well. I know for a fact that Justise Winslow, Grayson Allen, Jah Okafor, and Tyus Jones can ball.

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    Tyus vs. Frank
    Clear advantage goes to Tyus, he proved to be everything you could want in a point guard, but I do think Frank could make him work on the other side as well. We tend to forget that Tyus was a poor defender for most of the season, and someone with Frank's strength and athleticism could take advantage and put up some points.

Grayson vs. Tatum
    Advantage Tatum. Grayson was awesome in the Championship game and also had that great game against Wake at home, but for most of the year he wasn't quite ready. We don't know for sure what Tatum will bring, but I expect him to be more ready to go from day 1.

Justise vs. Giles
    Awesome matchup here. I'd give a slight advantage to Giles based on his size and athleticism, but Justise did a little bit of everything. Maybe if you factored in Giles's health then you'd call it a draw.

Okafor vs. Bolden
    Advantage Oak, he was a transcendent talent and probably the best pure center as a freshman that we'll ever see. Bolden does come in with similar measurements (actually a tad longer wingspan and reach than Oak but not as heavy) and Oak was also not a great defender, so it's not like Bolden would be completely dominated.

Javin and White have to sit this one out.

So overall I think the advantage goes to 2014. The lack of a true point guard would hurt the 2016 team, even though they have an advantage in size and athleticism. It'd be fun to revisit this in a year when we see what the new kids are able to accomplish.

Bump.

Episode 3 is out today, and the guest is Amile! Haven't listened yet, but hope to hear good insights on how his rehab progressed and how he feels about the upcoming season's team.

Nice to have a current player on as a guest - the first two episodes with Jah and Seth were fun, but I'm looking forward to hearing more about the current team. Also, I hope the producers change their inexplicable decision to perform the interviews over FaceTime. It's a podcast, we can't see them, and the audio quality was kinda poor.

Has anyone else noticed how much Scheyer sounds like K in terms of his tone and choice of words?