BBQ 911: Driving through High Point/73 tomorrow

Need a place to stop for BBQ on my way to Myrtle. Suggestions?

Cool

Born and raised there and my all time favorite in H.P. is Kepley's Barbeque. Sandwich, plate, hush puppies, fries, Brunswick stew, burgers, hot dogs, pie; it's all there and it's all good! On Main St. near Lexington Avenue intersection. Let me know if you go and how it is these days. Cheers!

I assume you are talking about the Wishful Thinking I-74 corridor if you are traveling near High Point. Two joints I have frequented there are Carter Bros. and Kepley's, both on Main St. Kepley's has been at the same location for 68 years. They serve vinegar-based BBQ that is pit-cooked. Carter Bros. is Lexington-style. Both have pretty good Q.

If you're actually coming down the Wishful Thinking I-73 corridor, through Greensboro, then I'd recommend Country BBQ on Wendover Ave. near I-40, over the HP joints. Lexington-style. There are those who hold dear the Lex-style establishment Stamey's, which is on High Point Road across from the Greensboro Coliseum. That's actually Gate City Boulevard, but the forward-thinking Greensboro City Council hasn't come up with the money to replace most of the street signs yet.

We don't call these roads by their future names around here, so I hope I haven't confused you - or me! I-73 and I-74 merge south of Greensboro.
    Last edited by killerleft; 06-01-2016 at 01:08 PM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I assume you are talking about the Wishful Thinking I-74 corridor if you are traveling near High Point.
    I didn't zoom in enough in MAPS. Correct, 74 to 73. Thanks for the info (CP as well)!

Quote Originally Posted by CPDUKEGUY24 View Post
    Born and raised there and my all time favorite in H.P. is Kepley's Barbeque. Sandwich, plate, hush puppies, fries, Brunswick stew, burgers, hot dogs, pie; it's all there and it's all good! On Main St. near Lexington Avenue intersection. Let me know if you go and how it is these days. Cheers!
    If it is near Lexington Avenue, it has to be good!

Oh man, the thing is, you're so close to The Monk... it can be dilemma...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

No doubt, Carter Brothers, on North Main! Great BBQ, and anything you want. Great cakes too for dessert, peach cobbler! Easily the best in High Point!

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I didn't zoom in enough in MAPS. Correct, 74 to 73. Thanks for the info (CP as well)!
    So what is the status of all the new interstate designations in NC? They seem to have add some recently...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CPDUKEGUY24 View Post
    Me too. Graduate of Ragsdale High! Kepley's is a legendary location, great cue, but I prefer Carter Brothers now.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Me too. Graduate of Ragsdale High! Kepley's is a legendary location, great cue, but I prefer Carter Brothers now.
    T.W. Andrews High! I remember when Carter Bros. came about, even used to play softball with the "Brothers" but my allegiances lie in some of the first cue my taste buds ever knew. Of course, that is aside from family reunion pig pickin's (gotta have the cheek meat) and just down the road in Thomasville a little joint called Tommy's on National Highway. I remember when the wait staff at Tommy's would quad roller skate up to your car to take your order. Love my NC cue!

Also, beautiful bass by the way!
    Last edited by CPDUKEGUY24; 06-02-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Avatar compliment