Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dukies in the NBA - Offseason conversation

So, lets start this with speculation about Jahlil Okafor being traded by the Sixers. Tell me what you all think of this deal: Jah to the Celtics for Jae Crowder and the #16 pick in this year's draft.

-Jason "I sorta want Jah to stick in Philly as I think that franchise may be poised for a bit of a leap, but the notion of him playing for the Celtics with Isaiah Thomas feeding him is pretty tempting" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, lets start this with speculation about Jahlil Okafor being traded by the Sixers. Tell me what you all think of this deal: Jah to the Celtics for Jae Crowder and the #16 pick in this year's draft.

-Jason "I sorta want Jah to stick in Philly as I think that franchise may be poised for a bit of a leap, but the notion of him playing for the Celtics with Isaiah Thomas feeding him is pretty tempting" Evans
    That trade is a no-brainer from a Duke fan's perspective. While it's true that the 76ers might be on the upswing soon, the Celtics are already there. They're a historically great franchise with a great coach and a front office that, through savvy moves, is loaded with assets.

I suspect Philly's asking price for Jah would be higher than Crowder + #16 (in a weak draft), though.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That trade is a no-brainer from a Duke fan's perspective. While it's true that the 76ers might be on the upswing soon, the Celtics are already there. They're a historically great franchise with a great coach and a front office that, through savvy moves, is loaded with assets.

I suspect Philly's asking price for Jah would be higher than Crowder + #16 (in a weak draft), though.
    crowder would be a great pickup for them though...i wonder if they'd be willing to part with him AND the #3 pick. okafor's almost certainly better than whatever that pick turns out to be (although bender is intriguing). i don't see anything else on their roster that would make a big difference, assuming bradley isn't on the table.

Jah for Derrick Rose, anyone else on the Bulls roster (except Jimmy Butler), Fred Hoiberg, and a fist full of $$$.
    Last edited by madscavenger; 05-28-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    crowder would be a great pickup for them though...i wonder if they'd be willing to part with him AND the #3 pick. okafor's almost certainly better than whatever that pick turns out to be (although bender is intriguing). i don't see anything else on their roster that would make a big difference, assuming bradley isn't on the table.
    Crowder would be a pretty good pickup, not a great one. He's a role player and only a 32% career 3-pt shooter. Jah is 20 years old and if he keeps his head on straight will be the best post-scorer in the NBA one day. Yes, that skill is no longer as valued, but it's worth more than Crowder + 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Crowder would be a pretty good pickup, not a great one. He's a role player and only a 32% career 3-pt shooter. Jah is 20 years old and if he keeps his head on straight will be the best post-scorer in the NBA one day. Yes, that skill is no longer as valued, but it's worth more than Crowder + 16.
    Agree, great is too strong a word, but crowder and three would be tempting

I am curious to see what happens to Lance and Seth. What about Quinn who is trying out with the Nets? Then there is Rasheed. I hope someone gives him a chance...
    Then there is Brandon and Lord Marshall Plumblee...
    There is plenty to be interested in...
    Last edited by Furniture; 05-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

One of the articles linked on the DBR front page indicated that Philly has been working out other players than Simmons and Ingram, which seems to suggest that they are considering either trading down (and converting the #1 into multiple picks) or trading Oak in a deal that includes another lottery pick. I wonder if they would deal Oak to Boston for the #3 straight up? Boston has the #3, #16, and #23 picks as well as five picks in the second round, so you'd have to think they are ripe for some sort of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I am curious to see what happens to Lance and Seth. What about Quinn who is trying out with the Nets? Then there is Rasheed. I hope someone gives him a chance...
    Then there is Brandon and Lord Marshall Plumblee...
    There is plenty to be interested in...
    I think Rasheed played himself out of consideration for the NBA, he's a good player, just not NBA good. He doesn't handle the ball well enough to be a PG and he doesn't shoot well enough to be a 2G. He also doesn't have overwhelming athleticism to make up for those areas of concern.
    Lance seems to have played himself into a fat contract. I believe Seth has a 2 yr contract with SAC, so i don't think he'l be going anywhere.
    Quinn seems intriguing, he had a dynamite year in D-league and may have honed his PG skills to the point that teams are willing to look at him as a backup PG. I mean, Matthew Dellavadova is a backup PG and he isn't as quick or fast as Quinn and is a much less consistent shooter/scorer than Quinn (although the level of competition is different).
    I wouldn't be surprised to see someone give MP3 a chance. In fact, i would be surprised if he didn't get an invite to a camp at least.
    Add to the list Andre Dawkins, who is now playing overseas. He's got a great 3pt shot, which ought to be highly sought after. He's also very bouncy, so he has the athleticism to be a more versatile player. He may yet get another shot in the NBA (ba duh tchcing!)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I believe Seth has a 2 yr contract with SAC, so i don't think he'l be going anywhere.
    Seth did have a 2 year contract. But the 2nd year was a player option for $1 million which he declined. He is now a restricted free agent.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I think Rasheed played himself out of consideration for the NBA, he's a good player, just not NBA good. He doesn't handle the ball well enough to be a PG and he doesn't shoot well enough to be a 2G. He also doesn't have overwhelming athleticism to make up for those areas of concern.
    Lance seems to have played himself into a fat contract. I believe Seth has a 2 yr contract with SAC, so i don't think he'l be going anywhere.
    Quinn seems intriguing, he had a dynamite year in D-league and may have honed his PG skills to the point that teams are willing to look at him as a backup PG. I mean, Matthew Dellavadova is a backup PG and he isn't as quick or fast as Quinn and is a much less consistent shooter/scorer than Quinn (although the level of competition is different).
    I wouldn't be surprised to see someone give MP3 a chance. In fact, i would be surprised if he didn't get an invite to a camp at least.
    Add to the list Andre Dawkins, who is now playing overseas. He's got a great 3pt shot, which ought to be highly sought after. He's also very bouncy, so he has the athleticism to be a more versatile player. He may yet get another shot in the NBA (ba duh tchcing!)
    Anyone with more experience know when out of contract players like Lance and Seth get their situations sorted. Is it more likely to be just after the draft?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Anyone with more experience know when out of contract players like Lance and Seth get their situations sorted. Is it more likely to be just after the draft?
    Free agency doesn't begin until July 1, so technically those guys are still under contract. There is also technically a moratorium on signing for another 10 days starting July 1, though many of the big names will agree to terms without officially signing prior to July 11. Because cap space is a commodity and teams want to get the big names first, lower-tier free agents like Thomas and Curry usually have to wait until mid/late-July to sign once the big name free agents are sorted out.

You can make more money playing overseas than in the D-league.

But the route from the D-league to the NBA is cleaner than the route from the Euros to the NBA.

Thomas and Curry turned down chances to play in Europe, preferring to stay in the D-league and work for 10-day contracts that might one-day leverage into NBA contracts.

And it worked. It looks like Cook is following the same template.

Dawkins had an NBA cup of coffee in 2015 but elected to go overseas afterwards.

Nothing wrong with that. Trajan Langdon, Dan Ewing, DeMarcus Nelson and others have made pretty good livings playing overseas. Shelden Williams turned down some chances to come back.

Does Dawkins want to come back and roll the dice? Or does he prefer the European option?

One thing to follow this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Agree, great is too strong a word, but crowder and three would be tempting
    Agreed, and incidentally, that's what Boston fan Bill Simmons predicts will happen and wants to happen, i.e. Okafor for #3.

As a Duke fan, I would love it. Brad Stevens can "accentuate the positives, hide the negatives" of Jahlil.

Marshall Plumlee - stretch 5?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN44...ature=youtu.be

I mean, he did shoot 100% from 3 in his time at Duke

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

Wow, he didn't miss a single shot in that video
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    One of the articles linked on the DBR front page indicated that Philly has been working out other players than Simmons and Ingram, which seems to suggest that they are considering either trading down (and converting the #1 into multiple picks) or trading Oak in a deal that includes another lottery pick. I wonder if they would deal Oak to Boston for the #3 straight up? Boston has the #3, #16, and #23 picks as well as five picks in the second round, so you'd have to think they are ripe for some sort of deal.
    Philly has the 24th and 26th pick, a war chest of future draft picks, and could be looking to balance out their roster by making a trade for veterans or other 2016 draft picks. So even if they intend to keep their #1, it makes sense for them to work out players other than Simmons and Ingram.

I miss Sam Hinkie already.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

Wow! Two things.
    1)impressive!
    2)I'm tired...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

pulling for MPIII...hope he gets it going...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Living in Philly (well, suburbs) and being a long-suffering, patient fan during the "trust the process" era, if they trade Okafor, they are dead to me.