Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Grilling Other Stuff

Sometimes you need your veggies:

Grilled Jalapeno Poppers

Jalapeņos, stuffed with cooked bacon, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, green onion, cilantro, touch of lime juice

Placed directly on medium grill until the jalapeņos begin to char.
    ~rthomas

Holy moly rt, now I'm frantically hungry for lunch...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Shrimps? Little olive oil, spritz of lemon, dash of salt and pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Sometimes you need your veggies:

Grilled Jalapeno Poppers

Jalapeņos, stuffed with cooked bacon, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, green onion, cilantro, touch of lime juice

Placed directly on medium grill until the jalapeņos begin to char.
    CameronBornAndBred needs to post his ABT recipe here. He might be spending too much time on the South Slope this weekend however, carousing with rick68 and other Ashevillians.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    CameronBornAndBred needs to post his ABT recipe here. He might be spending too much time on the South Slope this weekend however, carousing with rick68 and other Ashevillians.
    ABTs are a must, but best in the smoker. Recipes can be varied however you want. Did a writeup on this many years ago.

Im grilling some of these tomarrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    ABTs are a must, but best in the smoker. Recipes can be varied however you want. Did a writeup on this many years ago.

Awesome. I hope you had those with a side of Crestor.

We need more chow chow recipes.

South African sausage called Boerwors. Beef sausage that is heavily spiced. If you are ever in Atlanta let me know and I'll grill some up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Havent had that home made since my grandma passed away.
    I ended up doing a frogmore stew .this tropical or subtropical system put a halt on my grilling.
    Just a fyi lowes has two large bags of charcoal for 9.99.😆

Some grilled Yellowfin Tuna, that just that very morning was swimming around and minding his own damned business, laid claim to not only being the best fish I've ever eaten...but also the best meat I ever took off the grill. That goes for me and the others that were lucky enough to eat here that night.

Marinade in fresh lime juice for about 20 minutes
    Dry off and dust with Chef Paul's Seafood Seasoning (RIP Paul)
    Grill to the degree of doneness you like
    Finish with another splash of lime juice and a touch of Whatsdishere sauce
    Slap yo Mama

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Some grilled Yellowfin Tuna, that just that very morning was swimming around and minding his own damned business, laid claim to not only being the best fish I've ever eaten...but also the best meat I ever took off the grill. That goes for me and the others that were lucky enough to eat here that night.
    As long as you don't overcook it, that principle applies to a lot of fish. My swimmer this week was a nice halibut that swam in my net on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Are you making fun of me?

IMG_1487.jpg

Not grilling per se, but I love smoking wings on the egg. Last night we did Jamaican jerk wings. I generally smoke them for 15 minutes on either side at ~325 then give them another 5 minutes per side over direct heat. Some apple wood added the flavor last night.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

The hot dog paradox

OK, resurrecting an old thread, I have hosted several get togethers this summer, and am observing a phenomenon which I shall call The Hot Dog Paradox.

We cook a variety of things on the grill: chicken, steak, burgers, also do some smoking...a local purveyor (McKenzie) happens to make a most lovely natural casing hot dog, lovely crunch to the casing.

I'd say that most of our guests consider themselves to be healthy eaters, are in pretty good shape for their advancing ages.

In addition to the "main event" meat on the grill, I often throw on some of these franks...ahead of time I ask the crowd Who Wants a Dog? and generally only two or three answer in the affirmative. Myabe they're not perceived as The Healthy Choice.
    But this doesn't stop me.

I'll generally throw 6-10 on the grill anyway, see what happens...and what I am observing is that while only a couple of people say they want a dog, if I cook eight dogs, all are eaten...if I cook 12, all or most are eaten...(at the end it
    gets to become that usual party situation where people will eat half a dog, then another half dog...eventually they're all gone.

Conclusion is that people can't resist them, even though they may have questions about the health "benefits." Another test case looms this weekend, I'm going to up my game throw about 15 on the grill as secondary options, see what happens.

Anyone else familiar with this routine?

"Hot dogs, hot dogs," Ignatius said a little angrily. "Savories from the hygienic Paradise kitchens." He belched violently during the silence that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    OK, resurrecting an old thread, I have hosted several get togethers this summer, and am observing a phenomenon which I shall call The Hot Dog Paradox.

We cook a variety of things on the grill: chicken, steak, burgers, also do some smoking...a local purveyor (McKenzie) happens to make a most lovely natural casing hot dog, lovely crunch to the casing.

I'd say that most of our guests consider themselves to be healthy eaters, are in pretty good shape for their advancing ages.

In addition to the "main event" meat on the grill, I often throw on some of these franks...ahead of time I ask the crowd Who Wants a Dog? and generally only two or three answer in the affirmative. Myabe they're not perceived as The Healthy Choice.

I'll generally throw 6-10 on the grill anyway, see what happens...and what I am observing is that while only a couple of people say they want a dog, if I cook eight dogs, all are eaten...if I cook 12, all or most are eaten...(at the end it
    gets to become that usual party situation where people will eat half a dog, then another half dog...eventually they're all gone.

Conclusion is that people can't resist them, even though they may have questions about the health "benefits." Another test case looms this weekend, I'm going to up my game throw about 15 on the grill as secondary options, see what happens.

10 years ago, when we first started the True Blue 'Cue Crew tailgate, I brought the "over 1/4 pound" all beef franks from Costco. I've used those at home for years - they are the best tasting "dogs" available, yes better than Hebrew National's kosher dogs. They have been a staple at the TB'CC, even when our award winning BBQ chefs are cooking their specialties. None are ever left over.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Corollary: it is physically impossible to grill too many shrimp for consumption at any given group sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    10 years ago, when we first started the True Blue 'Cue Crew tailgate, I brought the "over 1/4 pound" all beef franks from Costco. I've used those at home for years - they are the best tasting "dogs" available, yes better than Hebrew National's kosher dogs. They have been a staple at the TB'CC, even when our award winning BBQ chefs are cooking their specialties. None are ever left over.
    We have losers and we have wieners. Youze two are definitely wieners (), and, to celebrate:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrin...mQE8?ocid=iehp

"This year, National Hot Dog Day is Wednesday, July 17."

Plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "Hot dogs, hot dogs," Ignatius said a little angrily. "Savories from the hygienic Paradise kitchens." He belched violently during the silence that followed.
    Have I been a dunce for many years not to confederate your moniker with our favorite New Orleanian elitist scholar?

Also, I generally don't eat hot dogs. But I do love me a grilled one on occasion. Has to be grilled though.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook