Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    About 1/3 point of local, grass-fed beef. I have read that salting first takes moisture out, so I add salt after cooking. I do like to use a little dry rub first. I put on a very hot grill for about 1 minute per side to seal in juices, and then turn the temp down some for another 3 minutes or so per side for a medium rare burger. Agree on toasting the bun and must have melted cheese. I like bbq sauce, but not that vinegar-based Easter NC stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Sweet/spicy Southern-style relish. Delicious on a hot dog or atop black-eyed peas and rice.
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...relish,FF.html
    Wikipedia claims it is southern but I swear I remember my Russian great grandmother forcing me to eat it in NY in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Inspired by this thread, grilled burgers last night. Mixed the cow with worcestershire, a little liquid smoke, tabasco, and finely chopped onion. Yum!

Is there anybody else who has acted on this thread?
    On the schedule for Saturday night unless I break down and buy steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    FIFY
    Come to think of it, 1995 or 1996 just about marks the time I "discovered" hand crafted ales.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Wikipedia claims it is southern but I swear I remember my Russian great grandmother forcing me to eat it in NY in the 60s.
    Wait, are we related? I have some vague memories of stroganoff, pierogies, stuffed cabbage leaves and who knows what else being foisted upon me by Russian relatives on multiple occasions during my youth .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Chow chow was always in our fridge in the fifties in Maiden, NC. That's between Newton and Lincolnton. Those are between Hickory and Gastonia. Oddly we had eastern style barbecue there.

Burgers last night. Simple - 85/15, hot grill, salt & pepper for everyone, greek seasoning for a couple of us, cheese for those who partake. Fresh white onion and tomato. Tasty!

Figured the rest of the weekend could be a washout, so wanted to grill early...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I used to enjoy burgers that had a packet of onion soup mix, uh, mixed in when forming the patties. Pretty darn tasty.
    But in recent years, I've grown to prefer turkey burgers. Salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard - I like it better than any hamburger, really. Something like the onion soup mix burger, Five Guys, or a good charcoal briquet grilled burger can still come close, though. Anything short of it though, I much prefer a turkey burger.
    I do the same plus i add shredded cheese. I make mine thin .usually two patties a bun.also i only use charcoal on half of grill. i put all burgers on indirect side add apple wood chips. cover for 5 minutes for a hint of smoke flavor.

Chow chow got mentioned today on a local lawn and garden show, mainly from the green tomato aspect.