Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Copa america centenario!!!

The oldest international futbol tournament gets underway in a few weeks, with USA vs Colombia. 16 teams will play throughout 10 cities in the United States making this the first time CONCACAF has been invited and the first time the tournament has been played outside of South America. The tournament will span from, June 3rd-June 26th, and includes powerhouse sides like Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, and The good ol Red White And Blue.

For the Americans, we unfortunately just lost our best striker in Jozy Altidore. It will be interesting to see how Klingsman replaces him. He could just put Dempsey up front or switch schemes a bit and put two strikers up there with Bobby Wood. Or he could opt to put Jordan Morris in the lineup as well. Wood and Morris are widely considered the future of the USMNT so he could just put them in and let Dempsey play behind, but there is no telling with Klingsman who has basically refused to settle on a certain type of scheme.

This is a big tournament for the USMNT, perform well and we will have some much needed momentum going into the thick of World Cup Qualifying for Russia 2018. Just recently after an awful loss to Guatemala it looked like the US might not even qualify, but now we are in a pretty good spot going into the next round on Sept 2nd & 6th.

Either way, June is going to be a good month of international soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Because the Copa overlaps substantially with EURO 2016, there will be many days/nights in June where we could watch 4-5 football matches. June 11's 5 matches include England-Russia, US-Paraguay, Columbia-Costa Rica. The next Saturday, June 18, we get 3 EURO matches, plus 2 Copa quarterfinals, all nicely spaced between 9 a.m. and midnight.

The oldest international futbol tournament gets underway in a few weeks, with USA vs Colombia. 16 teams will play throughout 10 cities in the United States making this the first time CONCACAF has been invited and the first time the tournament has been played outside of South America. The tournament will span from, June 3rd-June 26th, and includes powerhouse sides like Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, and The good ol Red White And Blue.

For the Americans, we unfortunately just lost our best striker in Jozy Altidore. It will be interesting to see how Klingsman replaces him. He could just put Dempsey up front or switch schemes a bit and put two strikers up there with Bobby Wood. Or he could opt to put Jordan Morris in the lineup as well. Wood and Morris are widely considered the future of the USMNT so he could just put them in and let Dempsey play behind, but there is no telling with Klingsman who has basically refused to settle on a certain type of scheme.

This is a big tournament for the USMNT, perform well and we will have some much needed momentum going into the thick of World Cup Qualifying for Russia 2018. Just recently after an awful loss to Guatemala it looked like the US might not even qualify, but now we are in a pretty good spot going into the next round on Sept 2nd & 6th.

In a weird way, I'm kind of excited about Jozy's absence. We weren't going to win the tournament anyway, and Jozy has consistently underwhelmed in international play. I'd like to see if one of the younger guys like Gyasi Zardes or Bobby Wood can step up. I think Clint Dempsey's likely presence provides more than enough steady leadership and experience on the front line, so I'm not sure the team will really miss Altidore that much.
    I also think Klinsmann has to have some keen interest in showing well at this tournament, as the chorus of discontent continues to simmer in some circles.

Great FA Cup match going on right now. All level at 82'

Zaha had a decent chance there to win it for Palace at the end of regulation. Maybe should have taken another dribble or two before shooting.

ETA -- Great listening to Martin Tyler and Stewart Robson, Tyler especially.

For the Americans, we unfortunately just lost our best striker in Jozy Altidore.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    In a weird way, I'm kind of excited about Jozy's absence. .
    I've never been impressed with Altidore. He always looks like he is a wildly overrated bust.

That said, I'm still very disappointed Morris isn't on the roster. I'm not a Klinsman fan with many of his decisions over the year, so this is not a shock. I would have loved to see him out there with Pulisic and Horvath.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Because the Copa overlaps substantially with EURO 2016, there will be many days/nights in June where we could watch 4-5 football matches. June 11's 5 matches include England-Russia, US-Paraguay, Columbia-Costa Rica. The next Saturday, June 18, we get 3 EURO matches, plus 2 Copa quarterfinals, all nicely spaced between 9 a.m. and midnight.
    I KNOW! My planner is chock full with matches written it! Cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    I've never been impressed with Altidore. He always looks like he is a wildly overrated bust.

That said, I'm still very disappointed Morris isn't on the roster. I'm not a Klinsman fan with many of his decisions over the year, so this is not a shock. I would have loved to see him out there with Pulisic and Horvath.

I KNOW! My planner is chock full with matches written it! Cannot wait!
    I don't mean this the way I'm sure it will sound, but -- if Altidore is still the best striker we have produced in the last few years, America is not a world competitor in men's futbol.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don't mean this the way I'm sure it will sound, but -- if Altidore is still the best striker we have produced in the last few years, America is not a world competitor in men's futbol.
    Despite the way Klinnsman treats him - I don't think he is. But he's close enough that your point is likely totally valid.

Official Roster for Copa

U.S. Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): 1-Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), 12-Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), 22-Ethan Horvath (Molde IK)

DEFENDERS (8): 5-Matt Besler (Sporting KC), 3-Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), 6-John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), 20-Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), 21-Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), 23-Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), 14-Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), 2-DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS/FORWARDS (12): 15-Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), 11-Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), 4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), 8-Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), 13-Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), 16-Perry Kitchen (Heart of Midlothian), 10-Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), 17-Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), 18-Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), 7-Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV), 20-Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), 19-Graham Zusi (Sporting

I don't understand leaving Morris off the roster, and keeping Wondolowski. He has choked pretty bad in multiple big games.

I am glad Mix was left off as he has just been frustrating to watch lately.

My final gripe is no Omar Gonzalez? Why?

If the team struggles during this tournament its time to get rid of Klinsmann. At first I thought he had a master plan and it would be all good by 2018, but at this point the team hasn't improved, the lineups constantly change leaving fans and players confused, and he leaves some of our best young talent at home during this huge tournament. It seems that he just does things, and there is no plan behind it other than, "welp lets try this"

I don't know who could replace him and get the team ready by 2018, but its worth the risk.

Another warm up game tonight, USA vs Ecuador 8pm on ESPN

The inclusion of some of these players is baffling to me. Just a few examples - I don't understand what Zusi bring to the team or how Zardes gets on the pitch before some of the other players. Starting Dempsey up top seems like a very short-sighted move.

For anyone who is interested,

The USA beat the number 12 team in the world last night. The first half was a mess with Ecuador owning most of the action. Strong play by Jermaine Jones and John Brooks kept the score at zero though. Along with Keeper Brad Guzman who played very well throughout the game.

The first half attack was non existent, as Dempsey was kept in check as the only guy who could create on the US. Graham Zusi was awful and should have been left off the team completely. Gyasi Zardes had some moments where he showcased his athleticism but then his first touch failed him as it always has in international play. If he could just soften that first touch he would be a scoring threat.

However, Klinsmann subbed in our young guns, Bobby Wood, Christian Pulisic, and Darlington Nagbe, and boom the game change dramatically. Suddenly the game was being played in Ecuador's side. Bobby Wood was relentless in attack finding holes all over Ecuador's defense. Darlington Nagbe was creative and scrappy helping to keep the ball and set up chances. Finally Pulisic at only 17 years old showed why people think he will be a super star not just in the US but in international play. If he lives up to his potential he will be the best player the US has ever had. Hes fast, creative, and his skills are top notch.

The goal was scored in the 90th minute by Darlington Nagbe, mainly created on his own just through sheer will and hustle.

If the yanks can get a few more young players to rise and take the places of Jones, Dempsey, Bradley, Zusi, and a few more guys who are all over 33 years old I think 2018 may be our best world cup yet. The talent is clearly getting better, I am still on the fence about the coaching. Had I been Klinsmann I would have made the change to the younger players right now during Copa and given them two years to build together towards the World Cup. But he still seems to think that the old guard is still our best option. He is probably right, but the risk vs the reward would have been far greater had he went with the younger guys and maybe kept Bradley and Dempsey for leadership.

I am just really sold on these young guys coming up. They sealed the deal for me last night, and hopefully Klinsmann goes ahead and puts them in the starting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    The inclusion of some of these players is baffling to me. Just a few examples - I don't understand what Zusi bring to the team or how Zardes gets on the pitch before some of the other players. Starting Dempsey up top seems like a very short-sighted move.
    Completely agree, last night showed how bad Zusi is in international play. His style just doesn't transition well. I am ok with Zardes getting a start just not with Zusi on the other side. Zardes has some potential to be pretty good if he can figure out his first touch.

Hopefully when it comes time for Copa Klinsmann plays the young guys like wood, Nagbe and Pulisic as much as possible. Lets see what we have with these guys.

Completely agree, last night showed how bad Zusi is in international play. His style just doesn't transition well. I am ok with Zardes getting a start just not with Zusi on the other side. Zardes has some potential to be pretty good if he can figure out his first touch.

Hopefully when it comes time for Copa Klinsmann plays the young guys like wood, Nagbe and Pulisic as much as possible. Lets see what we have with these guys.
    I agree with your earlier post that some of the younger guys need to see some more senior team action. Not just right now, but in all the friendlies and other competitions. Hard to improve when you can't get in the team.

Not everybody is as excited as you guys about this event.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/201...-for-8-minutes

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

haha, that guy. He is really misinformed it seems. If people would just stop listening to idiots like him and go to a match or watch an international match with meaning one day the sport would grow on them. At first I thought it was boring as well, until I got the chance to go to a USA vs Mexico game. It was a true international rivalry and the atmosphere was electric. The stands literally shook throughout the game.

Then I started to really watch at home and started to appreciate the beauty of the game. There are some amazing athletes in soccer, and the things they can do with a soccer ball are mind boggling.

Hopefully as the USA continues to improve and MLS continues to get better people like him will come along. After all everyone loves a winner no matter what the sport.

also I couldn't decide if that guy was annoying or if he was really funny. it was a mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

Ha. To be fair, the Messi piece in SI was pretty bad. It was a fist-person narrative and just seemed to ramble, but still had a few interesting tidbits. Grant Wahl completed a profile on Javier Hernandez (Mexico), who I've always disliked, but it was quite an interesting piece. The ole radio man better get used to it, because more soccer profiles are coming next week and the next week and the next week .

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I used to enjoy occasionally listening to Mike and the Mad Dog back in the day(during that time we like to call the 20th century)... but Mike Francesca will be forever known to me for the quotes he delivered at the 1991 Final Four about how Duke had no chance whatsoever to win. Now, he's just another blowhard who wants to whine when someone finds a sport interesting that he doesn't. Hey there are plenty that I don't find interesting, doesn't mean I object to your paying any attention to boxing, or gymnastics, or whatever.

Francesa is blowhardery personified, churlified, magnified. I'm pleased he's on the other side in the debate about the beautiful game and the world's religion.