Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    To elaborate further, the probabilities that you would draw the following # of red balls over 5 picks (assuming replacement, i.e., independence) are:

    5: 1.9%
    4: 11.3%
    3: 27.6%
    2: 33.7%
    1: 20.6%
    0: 5.0%

    Which comes from the binomial theorem where here N = 5, p = 0.45, and x goes from 0 up to N = 5:
    A text without a context is a pretext.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    "Game pressure" to me connotes a specific type of pressure though -- that brought about by the confluence of time in the game, and the score. The pressure of getting a shot off at the end of a shot clock in the first half or the pressure to not let your teammates down, while forms of pressure, are not "game pressure" in that context.

    So I don't see it as redundant; I see it as specifying a specific subset for the sake of being particular.
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Most of the time, adding the word "game" before "pressure" feels superfluous, because it's usually said while a game is happening. If you're talking in the abstract, and just say "He isn't really handling the pressure very well" then I guess it could be helpful to note the context. If we're talking about a college hoops player, there is pressure to perform in practice, there's pressure to perform in the classroom, there's pressure to perform in games. Those pressures are arguably different from one another. Of which type are we speaking? I can see the adjective of "game" being useful in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Game pressure" to me connotes a specific type of pressure though -- that brought about by the confluence of time in the game, and the score. The pressure of getting a shot off at the end of a shot clock in the first half or the pressure to not let your teammates down, while forms of pressure, are not "game pressure" in that context.

    So I don't see it as redundant; I see it as specifying a specific subset for the sake of being particular.
    I agree with both of you. "Game pressure" is not necessarily redundant. Maybe a familiar example will illustrate the point.

    "Wow, the game is almost over, and Ol' Roy is really feeling pressure."

    "Wait, what kind of pressure? Pressure to win the game? Hernia-related pressure from all the squatting? Political pressure from the academic scandal and coverup? Professional pressure to step aside and let Hubert Davis take over? High blood pressure every time Sylvia Hatchell looks at him angrily? Spiritual pressure from when the Ghost of Dean tells him not to use any more timeouts? Landlord pressure from having Will Graves as a tenant? Mental pressure from slightly fibbing his last golf scorecard? That Billy Joel song? Tire pressure from the wheels on the bus?"

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I agree with both of you. "Game pressure" is not necessarily redundant. Maybe a familiar example will illustrate the point.

    "Wow, the game is almost over, and Ol' Roy is really feeling pressure."

    "Wait, what kind of pressure? Pressure to win the game? Hernia-related pressure from all the squatting? Political pressure from the academic scandal and coverup? Professional pressure to step aside and let Hubert Davis take over? High blood pressure every time Sylvia Hatchell looks at him angrily? Spiritual pressure from when the Ghost of Dean tells him not to use any more timeouts? Landlord pressure from having Will Graves as a tenant? Mental pressure from slightly fibbing his last golf scorecard? That Billy Joel song? Tire pressure from the wheels on the bus?"
    Apparently, I have sporked brevity too recently to do so again at present. Shame.
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Never thought of the crosshatching image for "score" -- that fits. K and Jason Williams are two pretty bad offenders of "score the basketball" usage.

    Add "a new tradition" to the sports-nonsense.

    To bring this discussion back to its math origins, I believe the probability of nearly all these annoying things continuing (and language snoots continuing to feel offense) is roughly 100%.
    I imagine it has to do with the mental prep K gives them to focus on the physical basketball going through the hoop/ring for point(s). Not "hit shots". Not "score". Those are too abstract. He wants them to focus on the reality. It's the basketball, stupid!

    Or maybe I need some of that ymm, beer...

    -jk

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I imagine it has to do with the mental prep K gives them to focus on the physical basketball going through the hoop/ring for point(s). Not "hit shots". Not "score" ...
    In a simpler time about 30 years ago before "score the basketball" had ever been uttered, I sat right behind the Duke bench for a game against St. Louis where Duke had a comfortable lead (10+ points) late (2-3 minutes left) and the team was running the double high-post delay we used to use, and got a little careless and had two turnovers or something with less-than-crisp passing. K called a timeout. He kneeled and looked each player in the face. He was red-faced, shaking with rage, and biting off the same phrase for the entirety of the timeout: "Catch ...(pause) ... and face ... (pause) ... and score! ... Catch ...(pause) ... and face ... (pause) ... and score! ..."

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In a simpler time about 30 years ago before "score the basketball" had ever been uttered, I sat right behind the Duke bench for a game against St. Louis where Duke had a comfortable lead (10+ points) late (2-3 minutes left) and the team was running the double high-post delay we used to use, and got a little careless and had two turnovers or something with less-than-crisp passing. K called a timeout. He kneeled and looked each player in the face. He was red-faced, shaking with rage, and biting off the same phrase for the entirety of the timeout: "Catch ...(pause) ... and face ... (pause) ... and score! ... Catch ...(pause) ... and face ... (pause) ... and score! ..."
    I was at a similar game (who knows, maybe I was next to you) when (IIRC) Coach K got so upset, he flexed his arms in a fists-down posture, such that his blazer ripped between the shoulder-blades, Hulk-style. That was pretty funny.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I was at a similar game (who knows, maybe I was next to you) when (IIRC) Coach K got so upset, he flexed his arms in a fists-down posture, such that his blazer ripped between the shoulder-blades, Hulk-style. That was pretty funny.
    But his face did turn blue, not green?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I imagine it has to do with the mental prep K gives them to focus on the physical basketball going through the hoop/ring for point(s). Not "hit shots". Not "score". Those are too abstract. He wants them to focus on the reality. It's the basketball, stupid!

    Or maybe I need some of that ymm, beer...

    -jk
    Unfortunately even Coach K has fallen prey to that modern phrase "score the ball." As opposed to the other ways to score in basketball?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Unfortunately even Coach K has fallen prey to that modern phrase "score the ball." As opposed to the other ways to score in basketball?
    Goaltend?

    Dean Smith banging on the scorer's table?
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Unfortunately even Coach K has fallen prey to that modern phrase "score the ball." As opposed to the other ways to score in basketball?
    Would they be dribble driving to get in good position to score or driving another way (Hansbrough way?)

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But his face did turn blue, not green?
    IDK, he was facing away from me (that's how I knew about the back of the jacket). My guess would be that the hue of his face was a tribute to Jimmy V.

Similar Threads

  1. Odds to Win the NCAA
    By tommy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 02:25 AM
  2. Odds to win the NCAA championship
    By House G in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
  3. Zoubek Intentional Miss Free Throw - Probability Analysis
    By ice-9 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
  4. What are the odds?
    By bluepenguin in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •