Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling Steak

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Ditto the above.

One method, that I have not tried, but have heard great things about is the reverse sear method. Bake in the oven on low heat for about an hour then throw into a skillet for about a minute. I'm told it creates a perfect medium rare throughout the steak. You probably have to experiment with your times and a meat thermometer until you get it right, though.
    One of the best steaks I've ever enjoyed used a variation of this method. The Chop House in Chicago would cook a prime rib roast to rare, cut a single rib and then finish it on the grill. Suburb.

At home I prefer a well marbled NY Strip.

My favorite dry rub for steaks is very simple - salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika. Mix it all together and, as someone upthread suggested, really rub it in. Ribeye is the cut of choice. I have a gas grill (I know) which means I get the grill as hot as possible and then turn the middle burners off once the steak goes on so it doesn't flame up and burn.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Another good prep if you want it Italian-style is to rub in olive oil, garlic (minced), pepper and fresh chopped oregano. Yum.

Advice from the Rocky Mountains courtesy of the Division of Wildlife.

(a) All of the above advice.
    (b) Then run the grill 10-15 minutes at high-high-high to incinerate any leftover fat and drippings.
    (c) Then remove grease container and bring inside for safe disposal.

The Mama Bear and her one-year old behind my house won't like it, but my grill will live to cook another steak.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

^ yeah, our drip pan comes inside for the same reason...

Thanks for the responses. I have to admit it was really hard for me to publicly ask for advice on properly grilling a steak. It's just one of those things we should all know and although I can do it, I want to get better at it (I get that way with a lot of things). I've learned a few things already that I didn't know like starting with the meat at room temperature and using a very hot grill. Two things I have not been doing. I was shopping last night and picked up some Montreal seasoning since more than one of you guys have mentioned it. I'll agree with whoever said a steak shouldn't be cooked more than medium rare (sadly, my wife doesn't agree) and I also agree that proper seasoning of the cook is important so I picked up some extra beer to go with the seasoning (from Lonerider, so I'm supporting our local brewer).

Note, this is by no means meant to bring closure the discussion, please continue. I'm looking forward to having a list of different things to try.

I have a couple methods depending on who and how many I am cooking for.

1. When my wife and I entertain, one of our favorite items to cook is flank steak (usually a 2 lb cut). Prep requires a 24hr marinade in a Worcestershire/honey/soy marinade. On day of grilling, take the steak out of the fridge and out the marinade and pat try. While steak is coming to room temperature, light Big Green Egg and get it up to ~600 degrees. After HEAVILY oiling the cast iron grate, salt/ pepper the steak and put steak on the grill with no plate setter (occasionally I'll throw a few dry wood chips in for flavor). After 2 minutes, rotate the steak (strictly for grill mark purposes). After another minutes, flip the steak and go through the whole process again (6 minutes total). After the six minutes are up, close down the lower vent and cap off the chimney and let it sit for another 3-4 minutes. Pull it off, let it rest, and enjoy! I'll use the same cooking method for ribeyes if I am using the egg.

2. However, during the week, if I want a steak, it usually isn't feasible to get the egg going, nor is it practical for just myself (since my wife isn't a huge red meat person). Preferred approach on those days is to set the broiler on the over @ around 400 degrees and after bringing steak to room temp and salting, putting it under the broiler for ~4 minutes on either side. Then, get cast iron skillet SCREAMING hot (I like to use vegetable oil and butter since it smokes less than olive oil) and very carefully sear off the steak for 2 minute son either side. Let it rest and enjoy!

3. If I am feeling particularly adventuresome, I'll smoke a tritip at ~250 and then reverse sear it off. Because it is so lean, you can get pretty outrageous with spices and marinades (but be sure it inject it with something, I like pineapple juice).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I like a London Broil, marinated a few hours in oil, red wine vinegar, garlic salt, and course ground black pepper. No steak sauce needed.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    ... I have to admit it was really hard for me to publicly ask for advice on properly grilling a steak. It's just one of those things we should all know ...
    I bet there are people reading this thread who don't even own a grill -- much less a Big Green Egg -- figuring them all too much of a hassle (such hassle assessment partly informed by undercooked food fears), and who limit steak grilling to a George Foreman grill inside, letting the NY Strip seasoned with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper come to room temperature for 15 minutes, grill for 6 minutes, then wrap in aluminum foil for 5 more minutes to finish cooking. So yeah, your fears were probably well-founded about being sort of a wimp not knowing steak grilling inside and out, but there's always somebody wimpier out there. I feel sorry for that wimp class of humans (when I'm not laughing at them). Enough chit-chat ... I gotta go finish my P90x workout, and see if my Navy SEAL acceptance paperwork arrived in the mail, and finish working on the JEEP after that off-road incident last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I have a couple methods depending on who and how many I am cooking for.

1. When my wife and I entertain, one of our favorite items to cook is flank steak (usually a 2 lb cut). Prep requires a 24hr marinade in a Worcestershire/honey/soy marinade. On day of grilling, take the steak out of the fridge and out the marinade and pat try. While steak is coming to room temperature, light Big Green Egg and get it up to ~600 degrees. After HEAVILY oiling the cast iron grate, salt/ pepper the steak and put steak on the grill with no plate setter (occasionally I'll throw a few dry wood chips in for flavor). After 2 minutes, rotate the steak (strictly for grill mark purposes). After another minutes, flip the steak and go through the whole process again (6 minutes total). After the six minutes are up, close down the lower vent and cap off the chimney and let it sit for another 3-4 minutes. Pull it off, let it rest, and enjoy! I'll use the same cooking method for ribeyes if I am using the egg.

2. However, during the week, if I want a steak, it usually isn't feasible to get the egg going, nor is it practical for just myself (since my wife isn't a huge red meat person). Preferred approach on those days is to set the broiler on the over @ around 400 degrees and after bringing steak to room temp and salting, putting it under the broiler for ~4 minutes on either side. Then, get cast iron skillet SCREAMING hot (I like to use vegetable oil and butter since it smokes less than olive oil) and very carefully sear off the steak for 2 minute son either side. Let it rest and enjoy!

3. If I am feeling particularly adventuresome, I'll smoke a tritip at ~250 and then reverse sear it off. Because it is so lean, you can get pretty outrageous with spices and marinades (but be sure it inject it with something, I like pineapple juice).
    Two things I wanted to highlight in this great post:

1. Rotating the steak either 45 degrees or 90 degrees after a few minutes (on each side) really gives a nice aesthetic grill mark that makes it look professional. You're going to the trouble to cook it, presentation counts too.

2. Olive oil is a low heat oil relatively; agreed that if you want higher temps use something else.

Thoughts

Part of the fun is trying different combinations of cuts of meat, seasoning and cooking methods until you find what you like best. I lean to ribeyes and NY strip. There are some local butchers that do their own dry aging, which I think makes the best steak. But Costco also has some very nice cuts. I will confirm that the reverse sear works really well. All you need is a good thermometer. Flank steak is good and cheap and cut thinly against the grain makes great steak sandwiches. Skirt is great for fajitas or if you like making steak rolls. Also, try hanger steak if you can find it. It's a very rich, tender cut. It's not as fun, but I tend to cook more expensive cuts in a cast iron skillet 2 and a half minutes a side at the highest heat I can get, then put it in the oven at 475 for 7-9 minutes depending on thickness. Medium rare every time and I can focus on the rest of the meal. But definitely not as fun as standing outside over a grill with a drink. Steven Raichlen has a good cookbook with a lot of recipies influenced by street food all over the world, if you're looking for interesting seasonings to try.

I would also offer this article FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    There are some local butchers that do their own dry aging, which I think makes the best steak. But Costco also has some very nice cuts.

[/URL] FYI.
    I read somewhere at one point that taking a steak that has been brought to room temperature and putting it back in the freezer uncovered on a cookie cooling rack for 45 minutes or so can mimic the dry aging process. I have done this once or twice and the results have actually been pretty great. I usually just don't have the time during the week to go through the extra process of putting it in the freezer for 45 mins then letting it come back to room temp.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I like a London Broil, marinated a few hours in oil, red wine vinegar, garlic salt, and course ground black pepper. No steak sauce needed.
    I was waiting to read the entire thread before commenting. You beat me to it. I do enjoy London Broil.

Personally, I much prefer a thick NY Strip to a Ribeye.

Let me be the 200th poster to agree, the single most important step is to bring the meat to room temp before grilling or broiling.

I often use Montreal Steak or Garlic Salt and pepper ... I usually rub a very light film of Canola Oil onto the meat to help the seasonings stick.

Don't use a meat thermometer -- puncturing the meat will allow juices to escape. And allow the meat to rest five minutes or so before cutting or serving it (cover with some foil if you want to retain the heat).

Getting the right doneness for you requires practice ... do enough steaks on one grill or one stove and you will figure it out. Many cooks are good enough to judge doneness by touching the top of the meat, but I've never been able to acquire that knack.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I have a gas grill (I know) which means I get the grill as hot as possible and then turn the middle burners off once the steak goes on so it doesn't flame up and burn.
    Ahh, smart. I learn something new every day. This is an issue I've been struggling with occasionally.

I'll put my NY Strip up against anyone's or any restaurant's. I've stopped ordering steak out because mine is better.

Buy a package of NY Strips at Costco. 4 in a package, weighing 4 1/2 to 5 pounds, each steak about 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" thick. I have a special seasoning that I buy from a particular restaurant chain. They don't normally sell it, but will if you ask nicely after they stop laughing at the request. I put it in an empty Montreal Steak Seasoning shaker. Then apply liberally to one side of your steak. Grill on a hot grill for 8 minutes on the first side, 7 minutes on the second for medium rare. 8 to 9 minutes on the second side for medium or medium well.

Take it off the grill and eat ASAP. I don't believe in letting the meat rest - I want it hot!

I generally cut the 18 to 20 ounce raw steak into two unequal pieces before cooking, 12 ounces for me, 6-8 ounces for her (that's all she can eat, why waste it!). I could eat more but I neither need it and don't want to give dd the cardio business!

The real secret is the seasoning. I love the stuff! I use it on pork chops too. Hamburgers get Montreal Steak Seasoning and worsteshire sauce mixed in before making patties. I like to use 85-15 beef for burgers.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'll put my NY Strip up against anyone's or any restaurant's. I've stopped ordering steak out because mine is better.

Buy a package of NY Strips at Costco. 4 in a package, weighing 4 1/2 to 5 pounds, each steak about 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" thick. I have a special seasoning that I buy from a particular restaurant chain. They don't normally sell it, but will if you ask nicely after they stop laughing at the request. I put it in an empty Montreal Steak Seasoning shaker. Then apply liberally to one side of your steak. Grill on a hot grill for 8 minutes on the first side, 7 minutes on the second for medium rare. 8 to 9 minutes on the second side for medium or medium well.

Take it off the grill and eat ASAP. I don't believe in letting the meat rest - I want it hot!

I generally cut the 18 to 20 ounce raw steak into two unequal pieces before cooking, 12 ounces for me, 6-8 ounces for her (that's all she can eat, why waste it!). I could eat more but I neither need it and don't want to give dd the cardio business!

The real secret is the seasoning. I love the stuff! I use it on pork chops too. Hamburgers get Montreal Steak Seasoning and worsteshire sauce mixed in before making patties. I like to use 85-15 beef for burgers.
    It has taken about ten years for me to find a point from Ozzie with which I disagree. The rest is essential to redistribute the juices; otherwise when you cut the steak it all runs out.

After our 15-0 football season/postseason, we'll have a cookoff to compare.

Porterhouse has a t bone and a strip. Nice and rare..God I am gonna have to get one tomorrow..

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I read somewhere at one point that taking a steak that has been brought to room temperature and putting it back in the freezer uncovered on a cookie cooling rack for 45 minutes or so can mimic the dry aging process. I have done this once or twice and the results have actually been pretty great. I usually just don't have the time during the week to go through the extra process of putting it in the freezer for 45 mins then letting it come back to room temp.
    Here are a couple of articles about dry aging:
    Aging individual steaks
    Aging Larger cuts

I'm not sure that Serious Eats is gospel exactly, but I do appreciate that they try to take a scientific approach to cooking canards.

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    I'm not sure that Serious Eats is gospel exactly, but I do appreciate that they try to take a scientific approach to cooking canards.
    How does one cook a canard? Or do I need to start another thread?

;>)