Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    here's the difference on TWC's 300/20 .
    MY NETGEAR WIFI (3 inches away from thiers)
    Their WIFI (Crapgear)
    Hard wired ethernet
    That's an interesting post, moonpie. I recently had TWC come in an replace my cable modem. They installed an Arris modem with WiFi. Makes me wonder if I should wire in a different router (I have a new Asus that I have yet to open) and see if that is faster.

I have uVerse. They have a combined modem/router which is annoying. Especially since I'm suffering from quite a bit of packet loss. Currently pull around 60/5 last time I checked.

Long story short, not fast enough. It's all about instant gratification.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That's an interesting post, moonpie. I recently had TWC come in an replace my cable modem. They installed an Arris modem with WiFi. Makes me wonder if I should wire in a different router (I have a new Asus that I have yet to open) and see if that is faster.
    Our combo router/modem from Fios kinda sucks. Can barely get signal outside the room it's in, so I put an apple air port (or whatever it's called) up in our bedroom that I basically use as a wifi extender. It's wired into the modem (we have drops in every bedroom in our house), and we not only get good signal throughout our house, we get decent signal in my dad's house two doors down.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    here's the difference on TWC's 300/20 .
    MY NETGEAR WIFI (3 inches away from thiers)
    Their WIFI (Crapgear)
    Hard wired ethernet
    which model is their crappy WiFi?

I need to check mine at home later.

I'm a sad case since we live in the exurbs of DC and have a Verizon "cantennae" perched on the outside of the house. We're also right on the line for 3G versus 4G according to the idiots at Verizon. The house is 80 years old and has mesh lined lime plaster walls over cement block walls.
    I recently purchased a new Linksys AC1200 Max range extender at the urging of my far more intelligent son and, so far, it's working about 10 billions times better in my office space which is upstairs and a considerable distance from the main wifi intake. Now I don't have to scream and curse nearly as often I can save that for watching Tiger baseball.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Another option for people who may have wi-fi range issues is to use a MoCA adaptor(s). You can essentially use the coax network that might be running through your house already instead of trying to run new Cat5/6. It's just a coax jack on one side, and an Ethernet port (i.e., RJ-45 jack) on the other.

Depending on your router it may support MOCA already and you only have to buy the adaptor for the other end. I used this in my home office where I needed a hard-wired connection to support a work-VPN router, but you could also hang an additional AP from there as well.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

My TWC Ubee / Asus combination is not a happy one, although I suspect some sort of Apple device funkiness is a contributing factor.

Pre-ordered a Ubiquiti Networks Amplifi router set up that is supposed to arrive in June. Optimistic that this will unlock the 300 / 30 I'm supposed to be getting.