Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Old ACC reference - John Roche

It may not be of general interest and, if so, mods can delete. I remember some of those early 1970's South Carolina teams full of scrappy, okay, dirty players. John Roche was, I think, a two time ACC player of the year.

A high profile jury trial is underway in suburban Denver over the Aurora theatre massacre a few years ago. 28 plaintiffs are suing the theatre chain on theories of inadequate security.

John Roche is one of the lead defense attorneys.

His bio says he is the only guy to have played in the NBA while a lawyer. Also a 9 time Denver, age based, tennis champion.

Pretty interesting and lengthy career.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    It may not be of general interest and, if so, mods can delete. I remember some of those early 1970's South Carolina teams full of scrappy, okay, dirty players. John Roche was, I think, a two time ACC player of the year.

A high profile jury trial is underway in suburban Denver over the Aurora theatre massacre a few years ago. 28 plaintiffs are suing the theatre chain on theories of inadequate security.

His bio says he is the only guy to have played in the NBA while a lawyer. Also a 9 time Denver, age based, tennis champion.

IRRC, he also did Dick DiVenzio pretty dirty in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    IRRC, he also did Dick DiVenzio pretty dirty in a game.
    From my younger days, I remember the cheer:

Dribble! Dribble! Dribble!
    Pass! Pass! Pass!
    John Roche! John Roche!
    Shove it up your a**!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Ribach(sp) was the enforcer and considered McGuire's dirtiest player. However, that team fills a warm place in my heart as they beat the Heels on a miracle in ACC finals. I'm 1971, heels ahead by 1, 3 seconds left, jump ball between 6'10" stiff (heels) and 6'3" guard for USC. The stiff gets out jumped and cocks score at buzzer to win by 1. Ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Ribach(sp) was the enforcer and considered McGuire's dirtiest player. However, that team fills a warm place in my heart as they beat the Heels on a miracle in ACC finals. I'm 1971, heels ahead by 1, 3 seconds left, jump ball between 6'10" stiff (heels) and 6'3" guard for USC. The stiff gets out jumped and cocks score at buzzer to win by 1. Ha ha ha
    The guard was Kevin Joyce who, by the way had a beautiful jump shot. Was it Eggleston he out-jumped? Used to live near Danny Traylor who was a very good neighbor. Anyone remember Brian Adrienne (spelling?) from Davidson when he almost single-handedly beat South Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    The guard was Kevin Joyce who, by the way had a beautiful jump shot. Was it Eggleston he out-jumped? Used to live near Danny Traylor who was a very good neighbor. Anyone remember Brian Adrienne (spelling?) from Davidson when he almost single-handedly beat South Carolina?
    Joyce out-jumped Lee Dedmon, tapping the ball to Tom Owens for the lay-up.

John Ribock. Dirtiest player in ACC history. A hockey goon in basketball shorts.

Bryan Adrian. He was one of those NYC kids McGuire always seemed to get. But not this time.

Vic Bubas very much wanted Owens from that class, to team with Randy Denton, the ultimate twin towers. Bubas was more than willing to take Roche as part of a package deal. But Owens was the bigger deal.

Roche famously edged Charlie Scott twice for ACC POY, in 1969 when Scott had the better team but Roche the better stats and the next year when Roche had the better team but Scott the better stats.

Make up your mind.

And somehow, a few voters during that time didn't think Charlie Scott was an All-ACC caliber player. Hmm.

But Roche was pretty darn good. And pretty courageous for playing on a badly sprained ankle in the 1970 ACC Tournament.

Call me an outlier or even a traitor but I never, ever rooted for McGuire and South Carolina to beat anyone in any ACC Tournament. I really didn't like McGuire.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

John Ribock. Dirtiest player in ACC history. A hockey goon in basketball shorts.

Bryan Adrian. He was one of those NYC kids McGuire always seemed to get. But not this time.

Vic Bubas very much wanted Owens from that class, to team with Randy Denton, the ultimate twin towers. Bubas was more than willing to take Roche as part of a package deal. But Owens was the bigger deal.

Roche famously edged Charlie Scott twice for ACC POY, in 1969 when Scott had the better team but Roche the better stats and the next year when Roche had the better team but Scott the better stats.

Make up your mind.

And somehow, a few voters during that time didn't think Charlie Scott was an All-ACC caliber player. Hmm.

But Roche was pretty darn good. And pretty courageous for playing on a badly sprained ankle in the 1970 ACC Tournament.

Call me an outlier or even a traitor but I never, ever rooted for McGuire and South Carolina to beat anyone in any ACC Tournament. I really didn't like McGuire.
    Jim, thanks for the details, but I will have to call you a traitor this one time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Make up your mind.

Concur .. we've seen the Duke hatred in recent years, but it never approached the hatred in the ACC for those South Carolina teams (nationally, yes ... but not in the ACC region).

I remember going to the 1971 NCAA regionals in Raleigh, planning to support South Carolina because they were the ACC champ and I was an ACC partisan. But I wasn't there five minutes before I was there, screaming for Penn. The next day, I was there, pulling for Fordham. Of course, in the ACC title game I was pulling for UNC ... in that era, they were my second-favorite team ... of course, I didn't know then what I know now about their crooked program (although I'm not sure how crooked the program was in 1971 ... not long ago, Dick Grubar -- a UNC star from 1967-69 -- told me how disgusted he was about the revelations he was reading and he swore to me that his UNC teams were clean).

Back to SC ... they brawled around the league. As Jim said, Ribock was the main culprit, but Roche and Joyce both had their thuggish moments. Actually, I think it all goes back to McGuire -- his old UNC teams also brawled around the league.

South Caroilina vs. UNC

I remember a Roche led Gamecock squad beating UNC with Roche consistently hitting these runners over UNC defenders. Hate to tell you, Jim, but I loved seeing UNC lose. Also loved Adrian beating UNC and South Carolina.

I remember a Roche led Gamecock squad beating UNC with Roche consistently hitting these runners over UNC defenders. Hate to tell you, Jim, but I loved seeing UNC lose. Also loved Adrian beating UNC and South Carolina.
    Actually, I don't believe Adrian ever played against North Carolina -- remember, Lefty was always mad at Dean for refusing to play Davidson. The only two matchups in that era were in the NCAA Tournament and UNC won both of those ... and Adrian didn't play in either.

He did lead Davidson to a pretty monumental upset of Roche and South Carolina when Terry Holland was coaching the Wildcats.

those were my college years...gamecock through and through...

on track to challenge UCLA when Roche went down in the 1970 ACC tourny...(back when you had to win the tourny to move on...)

they were an awesome team to watch...wasn't really proud of them during the infamous usc/md bench brawl that had lefty drizell getting cold cocked by Ribock...but still, great team...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Jim, thanks for the details, but I will have to call you a traitor this one time.
    You obviously never saw or met Frank McGuire. No more arrogant, nasty S*B ever coached.

I remember being in Cameron as a student right behind the USC bench, which was possible at that time We screamed every vulgarity known to man during the game, making McGuire hold his timeouts at center court. When it became certain USC would win, he had Owens and Ribock throw Gatorade at us. Ribock greatest skill was hurting people. He was 6"8, 240lbs and mean. He was one of the few non New-Yorkers on the team. I think he was from Augusta, Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil2 View Post
    You obviously never saw or met Frank McGuire. No more arrogant, nasty S*B ever coached.

I remember being in Cameron as a student right behind the USC bench, which was possible at that time We screamed every vulgarity known to man during the game, making McGuire hold his timeouts at center court. When it became certain USC would win, he had Owens and Ribock throw Gatorade at us. Ribock greatest skill was hurting people. He was 6"8, 240lbs and mean. He was one of the few non New-Yorkers on the team. I think he was from Augusta, Ga.
    Also, Adrian played for Jack Curran at Archbishop Molloy HS in Queens, the same school that sent Kevin Joyce and Brian Winters to USC. I saw him play in a HS tournament in DC and he could really score. Don't know how he didn't end up playing for McGuire. He was really underrated in HS.

Joyce was also a great player. Cousy called him the best HS player he ever saw. Besides a great jump shot, he could reverse dunk from a standing position under the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    those were my college years...gamecock through and through...

on track to challenge UCLA when Roche went down in the 1970 ACC tourny...(back when you had to win the tourny to move on...)

they were an awesome team to watch...wasn't really proud of them during the infamous usc/md bench brawl that had lefty drizell getting cold cocked by Ribock...but still, great team...
    The second picture, showing Ribock about to slug Driesell, while a South Carolina player held Driesell's arms from behind, is one of the iconic photos in ACC history. In the postgame press conference, Driesell claimed he was slugged by Ribock. When reporters asked McGuire about that, he laughed and said, "Lefty must have punched himself."

Is it any wonder that McGuire was hated around the league?

Of course, the photo published the next day proved what happened. Just as a followup -- no action was taken against Ribock -- no suspension, no book reports and he wasn't even forbidden from choosing the team meal. No action was taken against Roche when he kneed Dick DeVenzio on the ground (the two had scambled for a loose ball and as Roche got up, he dropped back down on DeVenzio). No penalty against Joyce for kicking George Karl.

It was a frustrating time to be an ACC fan -- the "Cocks" were good, but they were also thugs who got away with everything. Well, they go away with everything as far as the ACC was concerned. But there was this amazing karma thing. In the next meeting with Maryland after Ribock punched Driesell, the Terps (just 14-12 that season and 5-9 overall) upset South Carolina in College Park. And the game after Joyce kicked Karl, UNC upset the Gamecocks in Chapel Hill. And while Duke didn't win the rematch in 1970 after Roche kneed DeVenzio, Duke did upset the 'Cocks in 1971, a year later -- a win that denied South Carolina a share of the ACC regular season title.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil2 View Post

Actually, my dad was a gamecock and we watched a Duke-SC game in Cameron (Duke Indoor) in the early 70s together when I was at Duke. Somehow Duke won, can't remember the year and I certainly saw McGuire's antics many times.
    However there a certain self evident truths in life and 9F is the greatest of all.

I was a huge fan of John Roche and those USC teams rooting hard for them in all games except against Duke, but I was a 10 or 11 year old youngster and did not realize the Gamecocks were a dirty bunch.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was a huge fan of John Roche and those USC teams rooting hard for them in all games except against Duke, but I was a 10 or 11 year old youngster and did not realize the Gamecocks were a dirty bunch.
    I admired the way he handled the ball. The standing straight up dribble, back and forth through the legs. It seemed unique from others.

Wasn't there also a South Carolina vs. Marquette brawl?

I don't remember a Maryland-USC fight, but I recall one versus Marquette. When the fight broke out, the Marquette players on the bench grabbed their metal chairs and chased the Gamecocks off the floor.

By the way, I was wrong about the Davidson game vs. North Carolina. In my "senior moments" I consider every game a UNC loss.

I feel compelled to share some experiences/observations since I wrote for the Chronicle in this era, and witnessed some interesting stuff. In no particular order:

1) The level of hate and tension when South Carolina came into Cameron during the Roche period was nearly indescribable. I have never seen a Duke-UNC
    game approach that level of tension and contempt. A very unique experience. People who experienced this know what I'm talking about. (Oly references this above).

2) As a writer, I was hosted by (as was the custom) the South Carolina SID when Duke came to town. Much brownbagging in nice restaurants, unique
    experience for me (New England boy), the SID had a briefcase filled with liquor.

When one of the Durham writers asked the SID (keep in mind, this is THE university's Sports Information Director) about Kevin Joyce, the SID chuckled and
    said "that kid's got some n****r blood in him." Whoa Nelly. And he wasn't even drunk yet. And he said this in front of about six or seven other people, including several
    Durham paper writers and the Duke SID.

3) Yes, John Ribock was a goon. But, consider this: a good pal of mine (who was from Columbia, SC) particularly hated Ribock (easy to do).
    Some years later, his mom developed a rare blood condition, she needed a donor whose blood had certain characteristics (don't recall
    the specifics, but rare blood needed to be found and donated).

John Ribock ended up being the donor, and indeed saved her life. A nice curveball from the universe on that one...(I believe messrs Sumner and Oly know this
    pal of mine as well, but perhaps not this story.)
    Last edited by budwom; 05-12-2016 at 03:48 PM.

I don't remember a Maryland-USC fight, but I recall one versus Marquette. When the fight broke out, the Marquette players on the bench grabbed their metal chairs and chased the Gamecocks off the floor.

By the way, I was wrong about the Davidson game vs. North Carolina. In my "senior moments" I consider every game a UNC loss.
    Absolutely, except for maybe the Minnesota-Ohio State game (Luke Witte), this was the most intense brawl I've seen in college bball (not old enough to remember Heyman, etc). The Marquette/South Carolina brawl had more racial undertones than the others. The Grayson Allen "escapades" wouldn't even register back in the 60s and 70s.