Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    My wife and I finished A Possible World and started A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'm confident that many of you have already read this book.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Project Hail Mary

OMG!

Andy Weir's new book "Project Hail Mary" is killer!

This book is WAY better than "The Martian" and I LOVED that book. "Artemis" was just ok but boy he came back big with this new one.

My wife and I are listening to the book on Audible and the narrator (Ray Porter) is phenomenal.

The story line is excellent. He has reached a new level of geek-hood in this book as well.

We are only about 1/2 way through the book and CAN NOT STOP LISTENING!

Anyone else "reading" this book now?

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    OMG!

This book is WAY better than "The Martian" and I LOVED that book. "Artemis" was just ok but boy he came back big with this new one.

My wife and I are listening to the book on Audible and the narrator (Ray Porter) is phenomenal.

The story line is excellent. He has reached a new level of geek-hood in this book as well.

You might be interested to know that the Skeptics Guide to the Universe has an interview with Andy Weir (ep. 826, dated May 8, 2021), and relates to his new book.

https://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcasts/episode-826

Picked up Freakonomics. Sad to say I have not read it before.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Picked up Freakonomics. Sad to say I have not read it before.
    FWIW, when you get to the section about the executives stealing from the snack room, the guy who did the research had the office next to mine when I came out of grad school eons ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    FWIW, when you get to the section about the executives stealing from the snack room, the guy who did the research had the office next to mine when I came out of grad school eons ago.
    Good to know, I’ll look for that section!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    You might be interested to know that the Skeptics Guide to the Universe has an interview with Andy Weir (ep. 826, dated May 8, 2021), and relates to his new book.

https://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcasts/episode-826
    Thanks!!!
    Will check it out.

John Updike

Not sure why, but getting into some John Updike novels for the first time...first Rabbit Run, now Rabbit is Rich...the latter won a Pulitzer and National Book Award among other things...let me just say that the word "explicit" comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    OMG!

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It's on my (ever-growing) list to get to. I was pretty disappointed with Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It's on my (ever-growing) list to get to. I was pretty disappointed with Artemis.
    Finally finished Project Hail Mary.

LOVED LOVED LOVED.

Must read!!!

I just hope that they don't ruin the story by making the movie. Yes the movie is already in the works.

Simply fantastic read! And again, I listened to it on Audible and the narrator was phenomenal.

I received two books from my daughter for Father’s Day:

1. A Good American Family by David Maraniss

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/b...-maraniss.html

2. Last Call by Daniel Okrent

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/b...shinsky-t.html
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Last Call (a history of prohibition) is fantastic in general and, to this economist's heart, a heartwarming display of human ingenuity in the face of non-market obstruction.

I'm really enjoying the audible version of the Raj Quartet by Paul Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Last Call (a history of prohibition) is fantastic in general and, to this economist's heart, a heartwarming display of human ingenuity in the face of non-market obstruction.

I'm really enjoying the audible version of the Raj Quartet by Paul Scott.
    I read mostly non-fiction, and Last Call is the best book I have read from the last 20 years or so.
    Also, I recommend An Economist Walks Into a Brothel by Allison Schrager. (It's about how we identify, quantify, and deal with risk.)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I read mostly non-fiction, and Last Call is the best book I have read from the last 20 years or so.
    Your strong comments are great to read. I’m really looking forward to reading Last Call.
    Bob Green

It's an oldie but I'm currently reading The Charm School by Nelson Demille.
    Tom Mac

Don Lemon Book, 'This Is the Fire'

I recommend Don Lemon's This Is the Fire, which is a very intense book from a seemingly laid-back CNN anchor. It is an intentional echo of James Baldwin's, The Fire Next Time,published in 1963. I learned a lot -- and not just from getting a different perspective on things.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I just finished Faulkner's "The Mansion," which I hadn't read before, although he's my favorite writer. I won't say it matches "The Sound and the Fury" or "Absalom, Absalom," but I very much enjoyed it, and it is one of his funnier novels. Mink Snopes was my favorite character.

Stacey Abrams

Mrs. Jim3k managed to check out from our local library, a copy of the much-in-demand novel by Stacey Abrams, While Justice Sleeps. She recommended it to me so I managed to finish it just as the due date arrived (she couldn’t renew because of demand).

Anyway, I took time away from reading some historical books to see what Stacey had wrought. As most of us know, Abrams, a good lawyer, is mainly famous as a voting guru from Georgia and a power behind the Dems there. But this novel is not (directly) political.

It’s a thriller and I don’t want to issue any spoilers. But I must say, that it is in the same genre created by John Grisham. In some respects, it reminded me of his Pelican Brief. Abrams certainly did not steal anything from Grisham, except, like him, she has crafted a real page-turner.

It’s well-written, fast moving and generally true to our political strengths and weaknesses.

It’s a fun legal read.

Just starting back into Catch-22, which I read once decades ago, and which I know many of you have read.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The Code Breaker

by Walter Isaacson.

For me a great book. The code breaking involves CRISPR, not computer codes or spy codes etc.

Learned a lot and got much to think about. Not quite finished.

One reference to Duke, and I think its more funny than negative. A key figure wit George Packer who, according to the book, get two undergraduate degrees in two years and then was in a Phd program. However he spent all is time in the lab and failed out of the BioChem Phd program. He was then accepted at Harvard. Packer thought it was a mystery as to why Harvard took him after failing out of Duke and "Usually it is the other way around."

SoCal