Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Finally getting around to Flannery O’Connor, who I have been meaning to read for years. Just finished my first short story, Everything That Rises Must Converge. Fantastic.

Finally finished Oliver Twist. A classic but what a chore. I'll *not* be tackling Great Expectations any time soon.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Finally getting around to Flannery O’Connor, who I have been meaning to read for years. Just finished my first short story, Everything That Rises Must Converge. Fantastic.
    She and Raymond Carver are faves of mine.

I'm reading something that is really a very good or very bad idea right now: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, a post apocalyptic pandemic book...looking for important tips...I guess I have to learn how to make rabbit jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm reading something that is really a very good or very bad idea right now: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, a post apocalyptic pandemic book...looking for important tips...I guess I have to learn how to make rabbit jerky.
    I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I've certainly heard lots of "Yes you really need to read this now", and "No this is not what you want to be reading now" comments lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I've certainly heard lots of "Yes you really need to read this now", and "No this is not what you want to be reading now" comments lately.
    I'm 90% through it...it's decent, interesting premise, it doesn't really bother me that much as it describes a totally shattered civilization (no governments, no electricity, just groups of people holed up in various places,) and I'd like to believe the present situation in the world is considerably less dire....I just wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is feeling overly anxious right now.

It's pretty well written, there are some pretty interesting story arcs...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm 90% through it...it's decent, interesting premise, it doesn't really bother me that much as it describes a totally shattered civilization (no governments, no electricity, just groups of people holed up in various places,) and I'd like to believe the present situation in the world is considerably less dire...I just wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is feeling overly anxious right now.

It's pretty well written, there are some pretty interesting story arcs...
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

The Green Mile (pub. 2013)

This is about a rowboat, specifically a wooden dory, the Grand Canyon and a badly damaged Glen Canyon Dam. It combines two main stories arising from the huge 1983 El Niño runoff from the Colorado Rockies. The runoff threatened to breach the Glen Canyon Dam and severely damaged its spillways. In desperation, the managers were forced to release huge amounts of water from Lake Powell, quantities not seen since the dam had first blocked the Colorado River in 1963. That flow triggered a near atavistic response from several Grand Canyon dorymen, the guides who use rowboats to run their canyon tours. These were a bunch of daredevils in disguise and they wanted to make a speed run through the canyon to set a record, if they could.

The author, Kevin Fedarko, does a remarkable job, first painting a history of the Canyon and its pioneers. It was discovered in 1540 by a small Coronado squadron led by a captain Cárdenas who declined to descend to its depth. The bottom of the canyon would not see a European until 1869 when John Wesley Powell took his explorers into the canyon using rowboats. Though Powell's boats, badly damaged, barely survived the trip, he set a purists' standard that would follow--wooden rowboats or, more accurately, dories. Fedarko introduces us to the men who row them -- a peculiar lot, driven by the call of the canyon. All of them dreamt of running the canyon at high speed. A small group decided to live the dream and ride the crest of the Glen Canyon Dam flood, beating the record if they could.

The book is hair-raising in two ways: Will Lake Powell overrun the Glen Canyon Dam and can these yahoo dory rowers survive the canyon at high flood?

It's a fun read for the two dramas, but also a well-written history of the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    This is about a rowboat, specifically a wooden dory, the Grand Canyon and a badly damaged Glen Canyon Dam. It combines two main stories arising from the huge 1983 El Niño runoff from the Colorado Rockies. The runoff threatened to breach the Glen Canyon Dam and severely damaged its spillways. In desperation, the managers were forced to release huge amounts of water from Lake Powell, quantities not seen since the dam had first blocked the Colorado River in 1963. That flow triggered a near atavistic response from several Grand Canyon dorymen, the guides who use rowboats to run their canyon tours. These were a bunch of daredevils in disguise and they wanted to make a speed run through the canyon to set a record, if they could.

The author, Kevin Fedarko, does a remarkable job, first painting a history of the Canyon and its pioneers. It was discovered in 1540 by a small Coronado squadron led by a captain Cárdenas who declined to descend to its depth. The bottom of the canyon would not see a European until 1869 when John Wesley Powell took his explorers into the canyon using rowboats. Though Powell's boats, badly damaged, barely survived the trip, he set a purists' standard that would follow--wooden rowboats or, more accurately, dories. Fedarko introduces us to the men who row them -- a peculiar lot, driven by the call of the canyon. All of them dreamt of running the canyon at high speed. A small group decided to live the dream and ride the crest of the Glen Canyon Dam flood, beating the record if they could.

The book is hair-raising in two ways: Will Lake Powell overrun the Glen Canyon Dam and can these yahoo dory rowers survive the canyon at high flood?

It's a fun read for the two dramas, but also a well-written history of the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon.
    Libraries closed. Read almost everything in the house. Not tackling Great Expectations yet. Really don't wanna spend a bunch on delivered books. Might need a Kindle or have a book trade with a neighbor.

Correction: The Emerald Mile

Duh!

recommendations galore

If anyone needs any recommendations for books, just let me know. One of the coolest things about my new profession is getting to meet authors and read lots of books. So whether you like westerns or legal thrillers, mysteries or sci fi, hopefully I'll have something good I can share.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Libraries closed. Read almost everything in the house. Not tackling Great Expectations yet. Really don't wanna spend a bunch on delivered books. Might need a Kindle or have a book trade with a neighbor.
    Hi devildeac,
    You might try the free app Libby. It is connected to your local library. You can use it to check out digital books and audiobooks. You use your library card # to get started. Reason # eleventy-seven why libraries are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Hi devildeac,
    You might try the free app Libby. It is connected to your local library. You can use it to check out digital books and audiobooks. You use your library card # to get started. Reason # eleventy-seven why libraries are wonderful.
    This might happen very soon. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephReidBooks View Post
    If anyone needs any recommendations for books, just let me know. One of the coolest things about my new profession is getting to meet authors and read lots of books. So whether you like westerns or legal thrillers, mysteries or sci fi, hopefully I'll have something good I can share.
    Welcome to the DBR Mr. Reid. Any author/attorney is likely to find friends here, particularly if they have a Duke connection, which you do. I found this short interview with you which might interest some of our denizens.

We might distract you from your chosen professions, though. The DBR can be a fierce time-waster.

Welcome to the DBR Mr. Reid.
    Thanks so much, Jim3k!

I'm admittedly a long-time lurker here on DBR--it has been my homepage for years and years, I'm a regular listener to the podcast, etc. But working from home, spending even more time in front of my screen, I decided to come out from the shadows and start posting.

I really appreciate you posting the link to the UC Davis interview. I don't want my posts here to just be about my books--I'm really excited to talk to people about what they're reading and what they're enjoying and make some recommendations of authors who I think are killing it. But if folks have questions about publishing or anything, I'm more than happy to answer. And obviously if anyone wants to give my books a try, I'm honored & thrilled!

Finally, finally tackling the list of books I wanted to read and began Open, by Andre Agassi.

Remarkable.

Next up, my late Princeton father's copy of The Vicar of Wakefield from his freshman year.

A bit of a juxtaposition, no?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My book club is reading The Plague right now. For real.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My book club is reading The Plague right now. For real.
    Contagion and The Outbreak are very popular movies right now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Finally, finally tackling the list of books I wanted to read and began Open, by Andre Agassi.

Remarkable.

Next up, my late Princeton father's copy of The Vicar of Wakefield from his freshman year.

A bit of a juxtaposition, no?
    "Open" is quite the journey, as I recall. I read it about ten years ago. He came from very humble beginnings.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephReidBooks View Post
    I tend to listen to audiobooks on my long weekend walks. Is there a platform for your work that is more beneficial to the author than others?