Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    So I just finished the Red Rising Trilogy by Piece Brown. If you enjoyed the Hunger Game series or Ender's Game then I highly recommend it.

I was curious what everyone else is reading or had finished reading recently and if anyone had any recommendations?

I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, doesn't make a difference. Debating starting the Game of Thrones series..

Recently, I've read the three JK Rowling detective novels, Life is Not an Accident (J-Will), and The Hobbit.

Anyone have anything they're reading now or that they recommend? I figured this thread could be a nice soundboard for those looking for something new to read.
    At the risk of sounding like a teenage girl I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm on number 2.

Leadership and Self Deception, an excellent self help fable.
    Quick read while being deep and worthwhile, good content to contemplate.

Your Brain at Work. Interesting while being obvious and preachy.
    Good content, not an easy read.

I, unfortunately, discovered Netgalley, so I'm reading ARCss.

One is the next Ellen Datlow anthology, with the theme of Halloween. So far, I don't think it's as solid as others she has edited, but still enjoyable.

And I'm reading The Book of Whispers, which is great for an unconventional YA setting (the crusade to free Jerusalem from the Saracens), but is workmanlike at best in terms if characters and writing, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a teenage girl I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm on number 2.
    I've actually been thinking of doing the same. And I've already been through it multiple times. A good choice when I can't really get into anything else. As I mentioned in the It thread, been thinking about re-reading It, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to start, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Just finished The Agony & The Ecstasy again. Still a great book. Now reading I,Claudius. An interesting read but I'm not quite as engaged. I'll probably pick up Claudius the God when I'm through however.
    Loved Agony; loved I, Claudius. I wrote my college application essay for some school (maybe Duke, not sure) about I, Claudius and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Still two of my favorites, I have re-read Zen several times. (Side note, sad to hear of Robert Pirsig's recent passing).

Just finished Animal Farm after discussing with SonPK. Just started The Devil in the White City, which hooked me early already.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Loved Agony; loved I, Claudius. I wrote my college application essay for some school (maybe Duke, not sure) about I, Claudius and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Still two of my favorites, I have re-read Zen several times. (Side note, sad to hear of Robert Pirsig's recent passing).

Just finished Animal Farm after discussing with SonPK. Just started The Devil in the White City, which hooked me early already.
    I read The Devil in the White City a few months ago, and I thought it was worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I read The Devil in the White City a few months ago, and I thought it was worthwhile.
    Yeah, a very interesting study of one of American's first (known) mass murders, set at the Chicago World's Fair. I also enjoyed Erik Larson's "Dead Wake", a very compelling story of the last voyage of the Lusitania. BTW: There is a movie version of "Devil in the White City" in production. It will star Leonardo DiCapro and will be directed by Martin Scorcese.

I just finished Glenn Frankel's High Noon -- a study of the classic film and how it was a product of the Hollywood Blacklist hysteria:

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/02/515438...wood-blacklist

I knew that Carl Foreman, who wrote and produced the movie (on a shoestring) was himself blacklisted -- I didn't know that his confrontation with HUAC and his blacklisting occurred while this film was being made. Interesting to read that Foreman saw himself as Will Kane, walking down mainstreet alone after all the decent people of Hadleyville (Hollywood) had been too afraid to support him.

This is Frankel's second great book about a classic Hollywood western. His earlier "The Searchers" blew me away -- telling the true story behind John Ford's masterpiece, then tying it into the movie we all know and love.

I also recently read Noah Williamson's "We'll Always Have Casablanca", which explores the impact of that film classic. Williamson makes a compelling case that Casablanca is a film that was largelty created by refugees and is about refugees -- which gives it relevance in our own day,.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I thought that was an interesting book, not only for the main narrative, but also for the descriptions and pictures of the World's Fair.

Another good book in the same vein is Midnight in Peking. Along with the true crime aspect, it vividly illustrates a specific sense of time and place.

My brother-in-law gave me two audio books so I am listening to the first one, Six Frigates, while commuting to and from work. Listening to Six Frigates has resulted in a short detour to Federalists #11.

This is my first experience with an audio book and it is going rather smoothly as it is a nice diversion from sports radio. Audio books will never become my first choice but they are a good option for making the daily commute productive.

The audio book I have on deck is Danger's Hour the story of the kamikaze attack on USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) on May 11, 1945 off Okinawa.
    Bob Green

City Of Thieves

I'm usually not much of a fiction reader. For some reason I just feel like if what I'm reading isn't true, or doesn't teach me a fact about something that happened in real life then I'm wasting my time. But every once in a while I'll venture down the fiction road, and I'm glad I did. This is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite reads. I'm about half-way through it.

Just finished Aziz Ansari's Modern Romance. The book was much different than I expected, but a good read nonetheless.

Decided to give the Dark Tower series a try. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    So I just finished the Red Rising Trilogy by Piece Brown. If you enjoyed the Hunger Game series or Ender's Game then I highly recommend it.

I was curious what everyone else is reading or had finished reading recently and if anyone had any recommendations?

I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, doesn't make a difference. Debating starting the Game of Thrones series..

Recently, I've read the three JK Rowling detective novels, Life is Not an Accident (J-Will), and The Hobbit.

Anyone have anything they're reading now or that they recommend? I figured this thread could be a nice soundboard for those looking for something new to read.
    Currently reading Sprinsteen's autobiography. A lot there I did not know even though I am a huge fan.

Finished American Gods 2 weeks ago. Very weird, but came together beautifully at the end. Recommend, especislly if you are interested in anchient cultures and beliefs.

Funny you should mention this...I never read the series when it came out and now I have an 8 year old son that is learning to love to read. I bought him the first one for Christmas for us to read together at night and we are now almost through number 3! He got the remainder of the series for his birthday last month so we've got our work cut out for us So far I've enjoyed them very much.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Funny you should mention this...I never read the series when it came out and now I have an 8 year old son that is learning to love to read. I bought him the first one for Christmas for us to read together at night and we are now almost through number 3! He got the remainder of the series for his birthday last month so we've got our work cut out for us So far I've enjoyed them very much.
    Awesome. I am very picky about fantasy and this and LOTR is the only ones in the genre I've gotten into. Let me know your favorite. I am starting Goblet of Fire. So far 3 is my favorite.

I think one of Rowling's great achievements is how her stories and her writing mature with her characters.

The first one seems written for 12-14 year olds ... by the last one, it seems aimed at late teens. Her stule grew up with her characters (and, I suspect, her readers).

When I first read through the series (I was hooked when introduced to the series after the first three books were published ... I eagerly awaited the last four), I thought my least favorite was Order of Phoenix ... when I went back and re-read the entire series a few years ago, I thought Order of the Phoenix was the best of the bunch.

Awesome. I am very picky about fantasy and this and LOTR is the only ones in the genre I've gotten into. Let me know your favorite. I am starting Goblet of Fire. So far 3 is my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I think one of Rowling's great achievements is how her stories and her writing mature with her characters.

The first one seems written for 12-14 year olds ... by the last one, it seems aimed at late teens. Her stule grew up with her characters (and, I suspect, her readers).

When I first read through the series (I was hooked when introduced to the series after the first three books were published ... I eagerly awaited the last four), I thought my least favorite was Order of Phoenix ... when I went back and re-read the entire series a few years ago, I thought Order of the Phoenix was the best of the bunch.
    I have to admit I am really enjoying reading them together with him. After we finish a book we borrow the movie from my sister who has them all and watch. Not done with 3 yet but so far it has been my favorite.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I have to admit I am really enjoying reading them together with him. After we finish a book we borrow the movie from my sister who has them all and watch. Not done with 3 yet but so far it has been my favorite.
    3 is the best movie for me as well. Goblet of Fire and OOTP and the last movie are my other favorites. I like all the films except the second to last one. She truly is a great writer.

I finally finished A Dance With Dragons. That ending...I can't imagine reading this in 2011 and still waiting to see how he resolves the cliffhangers. I know the show has moved past the books, but I'm curious if they went with what GRRM said he's writing or if they came up with their own explanations? I plan on watching the show this summer. I enjoyed the book though. I would say its my second or third favorite in the series (ahead of feast of crows and clash of kings, below storm of swords and maybe tied with game of thrones?). Anyway, I'm starting The North Water by Ian McGuire next. Its been described as Cormac McCarthy meets Joseph Conrad meets Moby Dick. So expectations are high. Anyone read this one yet?

If you want a really interesting book that's nice and long (and very well written) check out Nathan Hill's "The Nix." (it's not about a hoop team in NYC).

Finished The Gunslinger earlier this week. Not entirely sure what I think of it so far. Bought The Drawing of the Three to read during my upcoming travel. Hoping the story develops some more. Was left scratching my head a few times in the first book.