Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    I tend to do audiobooks on the weekend -- just finished Ghost Soldiers. I know someone had that listed above; great story.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Just started Rick Atkinson's The British Are Coming, the first of his trilogy on the American Revolution. I hope it's as good as his trilogy on the American army in ETO during WWII. Atkinson does this sort of thing as well as anyone.
    What did you think?

I'm almost 1/3 through the hardcover, and feel I need to read it on a large table alongside a set of the unabridged OED. It would be good candidate for an e-reader with pop-up dictionary definitions - though, from what I've read, most dictionaries would be inadequate for the task. I find his style (not just word choice) to be pretentious, laughably so at times. Factually, it's replete with data, but not often enough enlightening to the reader. So far I'm pretty disappointed.

Still working on In Search of Lost Time, Proust's ridiculously long novel. I'm about 40% through it now.
    Also reading Tess of the d'urbervilles with my wife. We finished Jane Eyre a few weeks ago.

Huge Haruki Murakami fan...

Reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World now. Classic Murakami. Great read so far (about 1/2 way)

While I'm at it, let me strongly recommend Heavy by Kiese Laymon. Absolutely brilliant. Non fiction. Author has written a letter to his mother and describes his life from boyhood to adulthood. Grabs you by the throat at the introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Huge Haruki Murakami fan...

Reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World now. Classic Murakami. Great read so far (about 1/2 way).
    What a coincidence.

I am also a Murakami fan.
    I am also currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
    I am also about 1/2 way through (just finished Chapter 16 of 40).
    I am also finding it a great read so far.

I wonder if the Semiotecs or the Professor has something to with this coincidence. The System doesn’t seem to have their act together enough to pull off something like this.

What are your favorite Murakami books? I have read about half of them and my favorites are Kafka on the Shore and After Dark. The only Murakami book I didn’t much care for was South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Also, if you are a big Murakami fan, have you read anything by David Mitchell? Mitchell appears to be heavily influenced by Murakami. The book number9dream seems very much like Mitchell’s attempt to write a Murakami book. My favorite Mitchell book, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, has many elements in common with Murakami.

Hue' 1968 by Mark Bowden (author of Blackhawk Down). Interesting, but somewhat lengthy, account of the Battle of Hue during the Tet Offensive in 1968.

I didn't realize what a fierce battle this was. North Vietnamese Army troops, Viet Cong, and sympathizers were firmly in control of the ancient, walled city of Hue for many weeks. U.S. Marines fought a fierce battle from building to building, block by block for 3 weeks before "winning the battle".

Tremendous bravery by the Marines and the opposing NVA forces. The biggest casualty was the civilian population of the city both through battle casualties and systematic killing of those deemed loyal to the U.S. or South Vietnamese government by the insurgent forces.

Heat has kept me from my audio book walks for the last month, I need it to cool down . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Heat has kept me from my audio book walks for the last month, I need it to cool down . . . .
    5:45 AM - The only time for a jog/walk in Richmond VA. Just enough light so you're not in danger of stepping on a cat. As cool as it will be for the day...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    5:45 AM - The only time for a jog/walk in Richmond VA. Just enough light so you're not in danger of stepping on a cat. As cool as it will be for the day...
    It’s 96 here right now per Weather.com, heat index bumps it to 99.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-16-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Still working on In Search of Lost Time, Proust's ridiculously long novel. I'm about 40% through it now.
    Also reading Tess of the d'urbervilles with my wife. We finished Jane Eyre a few weeks ago.
    Just finished The Prisoner, but have just read 2 parts of the whole set.

I just finished The Hobbit. My second time, but the first time was 20 years ago. I got inspired by my wife and my recent viewing of the LOTR film trilogy, and I’ll be moving on to The Fellowship of the Ring in just a few minutes.
    Strongly considering reading The Hobbit with my 7th graders this fall. I really loved it again, at least as much as I remembered, and it feels thematically useful in present circumstances.

Ha it's funny you mention this as I just ordered a copy of the book for my 11 year old son. Can't wait for him to read it. I just recently went through The Lord of the Rings books myself which gave me the idea.

If you like David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas, etc) and rock and roll, his new book (Utopia Avenue) is simply splendid. The man can write...and it's 575 pages long, just right for pandemic reading. Great look back at the sixties...

I just finished "All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. It's been around for a few years, has won a number of awards but I just got to it.

It's a WWII novel that follows three characters through the war, a young blind girl in France, a nerdy young man from Germany who is selected to detect enemy radio transmissions, and a German jewelry expert who is dying of cancer but trying to find a legendary diamond.

It all comes together and is a remarkably good book.

“PT 109: John F. Kennedy in WW II” by Robert Donovan. Fascinating and insightful look at an important person and time in history.

Still reading the Proust. Now 78% done.

My wife and I finished Tess, then read Persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    What a coincidence.

I am also a Murakami fan.
    I am also currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
    I am also about 1/2 way through (just finished Chapter 16 of 40).
    I am also finding it a great read so far.

I wonder if the Semiotecs or the Professor has something to with this coincidence. The System doesn’t seem to have their act together enough to pull off something like this.

What are your favorite Murakami books? I have read about half of them and my favorites are Kafka on the Shore and After Dark. The only Murakami book I didn’t much care for was South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Also, if you are a big Murakami fan, have you read anything by David Mitchell? Mitchell appears to be heavily influenced by Murakami. The book number9dream seems very much like Mitchell’s attempt to write a Murakami book. My favorite Mitchell book, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, has many elements in common with Murakami.
    Wow. More than a month late in replying as I haven't kept tract of this thread...sorry

Loved the book in the end (Hard-Boiled Wonderland). I didn't realize until later that it was an early book of his that others said foreshadowed Kafka and 1Q84. Definitely see that. It was only recently translated into English and released in the US. One critic said that his description of how the manipulation of the brain by the professor worked was "unnecessary". The critic suggested that he "need not explain so much". I think in future books he had heard those critics.

I loved 1Q84, The Windup Bird Chronicles, Kafka, but REALLY loved Killing Commendatore. I have not read After Dark and I have only read Cloud Atlas. Thanks for the recs!!!

FYI, I don't "read" any more and have listened to all of these books on Audible. 1Q84 was hard to listen to in the car and pay attention to the road! Otherwise I really love Audible.

Happy reading!

The Last Trial by Scott Turow

I have enjoyed all of the Scott Turow books.

I just finished "The Last Trial". Turow's protagonist, Sandy Stern, has turned 85 and is trying his last case. It was a good read.

I decided that I wasn't going to try any more cases once I hit 70. I'm almost to that milestone and have two trials left, both previously continued because of Covid19. Although I won't retire, I'm going to leave jury trials to a younger colleague. I'm facing that prospect with much more enthusiasm than Sandy Stern.

Free Excerpt from my new one, DEPARTURE

My new novel comes out next week, the third installment in the Seth Walker series. It's called DEPARTURE, and if you're not on board yet (or if you just want an early sneak peek), Criminal Element has posted a free excerpt here: http://t.co/sGNftII1Fd?amp=1

If you give the book a try, I certainly hope you enjoy it!

The Library Book

I'm reading The Library Book, by Susan Orlean. It focuses on the huge fire at the Los Angeles public library in 1986, but it is also about libraries in general. I'm a library rat and the book is very good.