Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Finished up the Lord of the Rings trilogy a little bit ago, and I'm now a couple of days into The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the recently-published Hunger Games prequel. Quite enjoying it so far. It's a quick read like the original series, and makes for interesting context and backstory for those of you who might be fans of the first three books/movies.

I really enjoyed the following books:

1. "Sempre Susan" by Sigrid Nunez, Nunez' memoir about Susan Sontag. Short, but interesting. I also liked Nunez' "The Friend."
    2. "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese, his epic about indo-ethiopians that grow up in an Addis Ababa hospital. Definitely the best novel about fistulae that I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    anyone else into the Cormoran Strike series by you know who? 900 pages, perfect for pandemic reading...
    Not into it. Read two and just got annoyed with him.

I just started Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. It seems to me like I should have read this book a longtime ago but I never did so I am going to rectify my shortcoming.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Finished the 6th Dune book (Chapterhouse: Dune) and the last written by Frank Herbert. Genuinely feel the 5th and 6th were my favorites of the series. Sad that Frank passed before we got to see where the story was headed.

Starting Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow.
    Finished The New Jim Crow over the weekend. A book all should read.

Started Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan last night.

Early Michael Crichton written under the pseudonym John Lange. Apparently, there was a lot of smoking in the 60s and 70s.

David Mitchell

I'm reading David Mitchell's new book, Utopia Avenue, and enjoying it. Takes place in the 1960s, in London, featuring a fictional rock band and appearances by folks like Sandy Denny, David Bowie, and Stevie Winwood.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm reading David Mitchell's new book, Utopia Avenue, and enjoying it. Takes place in the 1960s, in London, featuring a fictional rock band and appearances by folks like Sandy Denny, David Bowie, and Stevie Winwood.
    There were rock bands in London in the 1960’s?

History

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    There were rock bands in London in the 1960’s?
    Yep, grasshopper, a few. Some outfit called the Rolling Stones and another called, improbably, the Beatles.

I second this. A really eye opening book about how mass incarceration is the new caste system of our time. It's very sad and a major piece of the puzzle concerning race and the continued racism experienced by people of color in this country.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I know what I *WILL* be reading...

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-author-sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    The Sharpe series is quite good So are Bernard Cornwell's American Civil War novels. The Sharpe series movies are now on Britbox.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykicker View Post
    3rd Book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight archive series, Oathbringer.

and goddamn
    Great book. Next one due out Nov 16.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    The Sharpe series is quite good So are Bernard Cornwell's American Civil War novels. The Sharpe series movies are now on Britbox.
    If you like these, I strongly suggest the Flashman series by George Macdonald Fraser. They're great.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    I read the Sharpe series every summer, and the Saxon Tales every other summer.

I Couldn’t get into his ACW or AWI books for some reason.

And the show... it’s just too campy for me

oh hey! Listen, I wrote a little short story homage to Richard Sharpe... would love if you guys gave it a read? Tried to hit all the high points, and all of the bits that make a Sharpe book a Sharpe book. I will say, immodestly, that it is a fun little read!

http://lordashramshouseofwar.blogspo...ll-homage.html

Perhaps my favorite author is Martin Amis, and his new Inside Story came out today, zoomed into my living room via the miracle of Kindle...can't beat a good, long (538pp) book during a pandemic, is what I always say. Glowing review in the NY Times Book Review which also just happened to arrive today.

Finished up with The Sirens of Titan and am moving on to Troubled Blood by Galbraith/Rowling.

IIRC, Jerry Garcia owned the movie rights to that book at some point.

Just finished The Biggest Bluff. Thanks to the person recommending- it was quite good.

Skippy Dies is next.

Have not read Sirens by Vonnegut, but like his stuff. First book I read by him was Timequake. Heck of a book.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    IIRC, Jerry Garcia owned the movie rights to that book at some point.
    Yep, Jerry bought the rights in the early 80’s and still owned them when he passed away. Garcia enlisted Tom Davis, in the early 80’s, with the serious intention of making a film. Unfortunately, their time together was mostly spent in a much less productive endeavor.