Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I know I'm very late to the party but I decided to start making my way through King's Dark Tower series. I just finished the third installment, The Wastelands, and so far I'm really liking it. King has a way of making you feel like you truly know his characters and having a series where you can continue to get to know them has been nice. I wasn't a huge fan of book 1 but have loved The Drawing of Three and Wastelands. His imagination is out of this world. Going to take a break before beginning the behemoth that is next, Of Wizard and Glass. Any fans of the series here? Just wondering what everyone's favorite book of the series is?
    I read it three or so years ago. Wizard and Glass (book 4) was my favorite of the series. I didn't care for Drawing of the Three, Song of Susannah, or Dark Tower. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts once you've finished them all.

Sea of Thunder by Evan Thomas.

I received the book as a birthday present from my brother-in-law. We share a love of history. The book tells the story of the Battle of Leyte Gulf through the experiences of four commanders.

Admiral William Halsey and CDR Ernest Evans on the American side; Admirals Kurita Takeo and Ugaki Matome on the Japanese side.

CDR Evans was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on October 25, 1944.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Sea of Thunder by Evan Thomas.

I received the book as a birthday present from my brother-in-law. We share a love of history. The book tells the story of the Battle of Leyte Gulf through the experiences of four commanders.

Admiral William Halsey and CDR Ernest Evans on the American side; Admirals Kurita Takeo and Ugaki Matome on the Japanese side.

CDR Evans was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on October 25, 1944.
    I'll be curious to know what you think of it. I'm about half way through Ian Toll's "Twilight of the Gods", the third book in his Pacific war trilogy. He pretty thoroughly blistered Halsey for his decisions at Leyte Gulf and for sailing the fleet into the typhoon shortly after that. I would agree that if it wasn't for Halsey's PR skills he would likely have been relieved of his command or possibly court martialed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Published in 2018, this is an important and somewhat disturbing book. It’s not long, only 263 pages in the hardback edition. Its premise is that for the U.S. population, despite all of the wordsmithing done by those we recognize as leaders, be it intellectual leaders or the ultra wealthy, their premise that they can change the country for the better, is only a charade to protect the status quo. Note that he has excluded political leaders; under his POV, they are an endangered species in our democracy.

Giridharadas has been a NYT columnist, a TED speaker, a Poynter fellow and, at the time of publication, was a journalism prof at NYU. He has an undergraduate degree from Michigan. This is his third book. As you will see, he’s one smart dude.

Though not long, it is both thought-provoking and frustrating. It is well written, yet hard work to read. In seven quite different chapters, from entirely different points of view, he reaches the same conclusion.

I guess I could simplify it down to: Trickle-down economics doesn’t work, was never intended to work and was always a fraud upon the public. But that is not exactly where Giridharadas is coming from. He’s coming from anecdotal and historical evidence. He’s coming from, among others, McKinsey; he’s coming from Davos. From Harvard Business, and from the Ford Foundation.

All those centers assert they are working to make the world better by providing opportunity to the body politic to make their lives better. Giridharadas does a really good job of putting the lie to that contention—from employment to charitable mega-giving.

I can recommend this book to anyone who wants to try. You will need to take it in small bites. There are a lot of moving parts. Don’t give up even if Giridharadas has convinced you early on.
    Sounds like a timely recommendation. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I'll be curious to know what you think of it. I'm about half way through Ian Toll's "Twilight of the Gods", the third book in his Pacific war trilogy. He pretty thoroughly blistered Halsey for his decisions at Leyte Gulf and for sailing the fleet into the typhoon shortly after that. I would agree that if it wasn't for Halsey's PR skills he would likely have been relieved of his command or possibly court martialed.
    I’ve read extensively about the Pacific War. Admiral Spruance wouldn’t have left the San Bernardino Strait uncovered the way Halsey did. Taffy 3 saved Halsey’s bacon.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’ve read extensively about the Pacific War. Admiral Spruance wouldn’t have left the San Bernardino Strait uncovered the way Halsey did. Taffy 3 saved Halsey’s bacon.
    Yep, Toll was pretty clear in saying that as "unique" as Spruance was, he would not have failed to support his primary mission. I had to go back and find the line in the book, but he summarized it pretty well with, "Like corresponding terms in an algebra equation, the two blunders cancelled each other out." Halsey fell for the decoy, and then Kurita failed to take advantage of Halsey falling for the very trap they had set for him. Could have been a very different story if either of those men had made a different decision.

Just now embarking on The Hobbit with my 7th graders, and oh boy, it is already just a delight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Just now embarking on The Hobbit with my 7th graders, and oh boy, it is already just a delight.
    Nothing but mutton to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Nothing but mutton to eat
    What's a burrahobbit?

Finished the 6th Dune book (Chapterhouse: Dune) and the last written by Frank Herbert. Genuinely feel the 5th and 6th were my favorites of the series. Sad that Frank passed before we got to see where the story was headed.

Starting Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow.

Just got my copy of Craig Johnson's latest Longmire book, Next to Last Stand. Saving it for my vacation next week.

Also, since I cannot get enough of this pandemic, I have been reading Laura Spinney's Pale Rider, The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How It Changed the World. It was published three years ago this month. It is CRAZY how it parallels to what we are experiencing. I highly recommend. I would love to hear her take on COVID-19 and the various responses to it.

Right now I'm reading the 2001 updated version of the Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract. In his ranking of first basemen, he referred to Rafael Palmeiro getting the Gold Glove one year even though he only played the position in about thirty games that year, the rest at DH. He was describing the balloting procedure for the award (where voters, who were players/coaches/managers, vote just for one name, instead of ranking multiple names). He went on to say that if we elected the President of the United States that way, we'd eventually wind up electing David Duke, or Donald Trump, or Warren Beatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I enjoyed Sea of Thunder by Evan Thomas. The War in the Pacific fascinates me and I never tire of reading about it. As far as the books thoughts on Halsey and his decisions at Leyte Gulf, the following quote is germane:

Halsey’s equivocations and rationalizations in his memoirs, as he described this terrible scene, verge on the pathetic. But denial may have been the only way he could have coped with the shock of his blunder revealed at the precise moment of his greatest triumph.
    Bob Green

3rd Book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight archive series, Oathbringer.

and goddamn

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I know I'm very late to the party but I decided to start making my way through King's Dark Tower series. I just finished the third installment, The Wastelands, and so far I'm really liking it. King has a way of making you feel like you truly know his characters and having a series where you can continue to get to know them has been nice. I wasn't a huge fan of book 1 but have loved The Drawing of Three and Wastelands. His imagination is out of this world. Going to take a break before beginning the behemoth that is next, Of Wizard and Glass. Any fans of the series here? Just wondering what everyone's favorite book of the series is?
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I read it three or so years ago. Wizard and Glass (book 4) was my favorite of the series. I didn't care for Drawing of the Three, Song of Susannah, or Dark Tower. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts once you've finished them all.
    Just curious if you (DUKIECB) have gotten into Wizard and Glass? I enjoyed the entire series but WandG was definitely my favorite. I read them as they were coming out, with years in between. I think someday I might try reading them back-to-back. I just finished re-reading The Stand, a great one to read right now.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

anyone else into the Cormoran Strike series by you know who? 900 pages, perfect for pandemic reading...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykicker View Post
    3rd Book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight archive series, Oathbringer.

and goddamn
    Love Stormlight Archive. Not sure I'm prepared for Rhythm of War to hit the shelves in November.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    anyone else into the Cormoran Strike series by you know who? 900 pages, perfect for pandemic reading...
    I've read the first three and found them fun. Plan on getting to the newest one in the next month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I've read the first three and found them fun. Plan on getting to the newest one in the next month or two.
    I alternate reading serious stuff and fun stuff...I just finished the incredibly informative Hitler: Downfall, 1939-45 by Volker Ullrich, quite an opus. 900 pages of astonishing material, so some Cormoran Strike feels pretty good right now.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Just curious if you (DUKIECB) have gotten into Wizard and Glass? I enjoyed the entire series but WandG was definitely my favorite. I read them as they were coming out, with years in between. I think someday I might try reading them back-to-back. I just finished re-reading The Stand, a great one to read right now.
    Funny you should ask, I just started it a couple days ago and am 150 or so pages in. I'll try to report back when I finish however since it's over 1,000 pages that could be a few days
    "The future ain't what it used to be."