Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Finished Homer’s Odyssey on audiobook (loved it) and now reading Circe by Madeline Miller.

About a third of the way through Ulysses on audiobook, but thinking of waiving the white flag. Don’t know if I can go another 20 hours of not knowing what in the hell is going on big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Currently reading: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
    I finished Station Eleven and just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Quite disappointed with both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Dude...do you need some new friends? I'll be your friend. I have no murders or nefarious sexual exploits anywhere in my past or present.
    And I didn't even get to the guy I bought my current house from, still in prison for bank robbery 20 years later! More seriously, neither of the "friends" I referred to are people I know very well, though I obviously know something of their stories. I do have some non-felonious friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    And I didn't even get to the guy I bought my current house from, still in prison for bank robbery 20 years later! More seriously, neither of the "friends" I referred to are people I know very well, though I obviously know something of their stories. I do have some non-felonious friends.
    Truthfully, we all likely know a few. Regarding your friend from Duke who show up at a minor's house --- a relative of mine who is a dentist was watching one of those "To catch a predator..." shows taking place in his city. Long story short, the orthodontist who he referred all his children patients to for braces walked into one of the houses.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Finished Homer’s Odyssey on audiobook (loved it).
    Now watch Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?. Again, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Now watch Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?. Again, if necessary.
    One of my all-time favorite movies.

Ditto!

High degree of difficulty and perfectly executed.

Finished Homer’s Odyssey on audiobook (loved it) and now reading Circe by Madeline Miller.
    Yeah, there's nothing better than an audiobook read by the author.

"Well, we escaped the Sirens, only to become trapped between a monster and a whirlpool. D'oh!"

Though when it comes to maritime tales, some prefer old-fashioned reading...

scurvy.jpg

About a third of the way through Ulysses on audiobook, but thinking of waiving the white flag. Don’t know if I can go another 20 hours of not knowing what in the hell is going on big picture.
    Another advantage to audiobooks. Listen to the author's preface. "I won the war, I became President, and I am buried in my own tomb."

I just started Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941 by Mark R. Peattie. The book was a Christmas present from my brother in law. We share a love of history.
    Bob Green

My wife and I read together, and sometimes I read a different book at the same time.

We just finished Wuthering Heights about a week ago. I liked it, but she did not. We started up on a book called American Dirt, about a woman whose entire family was killed by a cartel in Mexico except for herself and one of her sons; it is pretty intense so far.

My last "on the side" book was King's 11/22/63, which I really enjoyed. I flew through its 800-some-odd pages in about two weeks while working full time, reading Wuthering Heights, and watching at least one Homeland episode every evening.

I am currently trying to decide what my next "on the side" book should be. I like to read the classics. I'm thinking about Marquez's "100 Years of Solitude." Anybody read it? Good choice?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm thinking about Marquez's "100 Years of Solitude." Anybody read it? Good choice?
    I only got through the first fifty years, then gave up. I don't have the best attention span when it comes to reading.

...I'm thinking about Marquez's "100 Years of Solitude." Anybody read it? Good choice?
    It is a beautiful, beautiful book...lyrical, layered, generational, just really embedded with magic. But it is not an easy read. You may well have to power through parts of it and just stick with it, especially in the beginning. If you read it though, you'll almost certainly be in love by the end.

Just finished Bad Blood, a compelling account of Elizabeth Holmes and her fraudulent Theranos venture. It's a good read by the Wall Street Journal reporter largely responsible for bringing her down.

The company was a huge scam.Through force of her personality and appearance, Elizabeth Holmes convinced people like George Schultz and Henry Kissinger that this was a viable company based on real science.

I think she is still facing a criminal trial over all this.

My wife and I read together, and sometimes I read a different book at the same time.
    At first reading, I was extremely impressed that you were able to read a book with your wife while reading a different book at the same time.

Then I realized I have reading comprehension issues.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    At first reading, I was extremely impressed that you were able to read a book with your wife while reading a different book at the same time.

Then I realized I have reading comprehension issues.
    After reading what I wrote, I don't think the problem lies in your reading comprehension. What I should have said is that "on the side" I am sometimes reading a different book.

We read together for about a half an hour a day. Sometimes that feels like enough reading for me, but most times it does not, so I get a book I alone am interested in and read it.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Mick Herron is out with the seventh book in his Slough House series which is most delightful...

After reading what I wrote, I don't think the problem lies in your reading comprehension. What I should have said is that "on the side" I am sometimes reading a different book.

We read together for about a half an hour a day. Sometimes that feels like enough reading for me, but most times it does not, so I get a book I alone am interested in and read it.
    I liked reading along silently with my wife until I realized she was always waiting for me to turn the page. I grew up as a voracious reader so I just assumed I read at a good speed as well. She shattered that illusion into tiny pieces.

I just received a book in the mail, unsolicited. "The Great Controversy" by E.G. White

The copyright on this one is 2020. The one I found in Wikipedia was printed in 1911.
    Last edited by camion; 03-04-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I just received a book in the mail, unsolicited.
    Mark it down: March 4, 2021. The day Amazon became sentient.