Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,081 to 1,097 of 1097
  1. #1081
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    For reading on the Barbary Pirates, I recommend:

    Ian W. Toll

    Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
    Second that. Excellent read.

  2. #1082
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC

    The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder

    This is David Grann's latest (Killers of the Flower Moon) and it is great! I absolutely loved this story. It reads like a novel even though it is the true story of a British vessel sent on a mission to find a Spanish war ship filled with treasure. To say they had some setbacks would be the understatement of the century! It's no spoiler that the Wager was shipwrecked and the surviving crew was marooned on a desolate island off the western coast of Chile but what happens after that is quite the story. As the title says mutiny and murder and the quest to survive make for one heck of a yarn.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  3. #1083
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This is David Grann's latest (Killers of the Flower Moon) and it is great! I absolutely loved this story. It reads like a novel even though it is the true story of a British vessel sent on a mission to find a Spanish war ship filled with treasure. To say they had some setbacks would be the understatement of the century! It's no spoiler that the Wager was shipwrecked and the surviving crew was marooned on a desolate island off the western coast of Chile but what happens after that is quite the story. As the title says mutiny and murder and the quest to survive make for one heck of a yarn.
    Really good book. It's an amazing story.

  4. #1084
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This is David Grann's latest (Killers of the Flower Moon) and it is great! I absolutely loved this story. It reads like a novel even though it is the true story of a British vessel sent on a mission to find a Spanish war ship filled with treasure. To say they had some setbacks would be the understatement of the century! It's no spoiler that the Wager was shipwrecked and the surviving crew was marooned on a desolate island off the western coast of Chile but what happens after that is quite the story. As the title says mutiny and murder and the quest to survive make for one heck of a yarn.
    My favorite book so far* this year. Fascinating story and very well told. If you are in the mood for another excellent shipwreck/survival book, Nathaniel Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea covers similar ground, though it is based on an event which occurred 80 years after the wreck of the Wager.


    *I am about halfway through North Woods by Daniel Mason and am enjoying that very much (perhaps I am just suffering from a case of pomomania).
    Last edited by House P; 12-18-2023 at 06:29 PM.

  5. #1085
    I was unexpectedly and pleasantly diverted by FDR's Funeral Train, by Robert Klara. It is a detailed account of the trip by train during wartime following the President's sudden death in Georgia; the trip took the coffin and staff to Washington, picked up a bunch of politicians, diplomats, and judges, and continued on to Hyde Park. Here is a key quote from the book:
    The new President and his cabinet, the most senior and influential members of Congress, the nine robes of high judicial bench, and the highest-ranking officers of the armed forces -- in sum, the entire leadership of the free world -- elected to board a single train and take a trip together. It was an excursion that took them through some of the most densely populated urban centers of the United States, along a route that had been announced in advance -- and it all happened during the largest global conflict in recorded history.
    Not to mention, the presidential retinue included a man selling secrets to the KGB. This latter bit was not heavily featured in the book, it just added to the interesting set of topics that were discussed. It might sound a bit dry, but it kept my interest and was not a heavy read.

  6. #1086
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis

    Mine!

    I have started reading Mine! How the Hidden Rules of Ownership Control Our Lives by Michael Heller and James Salzman, who are both law professors. It's fascinating.

    Also, I just finished reading a much less distinguished, but still entertaining, book, called What's With St. Louis? The chapter about St. Louisans' speech and pronunciation quirks quotes a professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, one Dr. Benjamin Torbert, whom we know here as Throatybeard.

  7. #1087
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    I’m currently reading The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family by Ron Howard and Clint Howard. It is enjoyable which doesn’t surprise me seeing as I am the same age as Clint, a few years younger than Ron, so I grew up watching the shows they acted in.

    A recent read I do not recommend is Lion and Lamb by James Patterson. Trash.

    To finish with a positive, Deep Water by Patricia Highsmith is an excellent psychological thriller.
    Bob Green

  8. #1088
    I also enjoyed the Howard boys' memoir (I think I was born within a year one way or the other of Ron, I forget which). The most striking thing about the book to me was the description of the family unit. Where most Hollywood stories feature excess and boorish behavior, Ron and Clint were well grounded and looked-after by not only their parents but also to some degree the actors they worked with. Clint did stray a bit once he got old enough to act out, but it was not due at all to any sense of entitlement bestowed or encouraged by their parents.

  9. #1089
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is worth reading once but I'll never re-read it. 1984 by George Orwell I re-read annually. This book serves as litmus paper or a thermometer, helping me understand where we as humanity and the world are heading. Unfortunately, it seems to be going in a worse direction. And currently, I'm reading The Power by Naomi Alderman. Perhaps my opinion will change once I finish it, but for now, it seems like a teen read, so I find it somewhat boring.

  10. #1090
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Covered With Glory: The 26th North Carolina Infantry At The Battle Of Gettysburg by Rod Gragg

    I just started this book and I’m really looking forward to the read. In my trips to Gettysburg, I have been four times, I have visited both 26th NC Regiment monuments. The one on South Meredith Avenue as well as the one on Cemetery Ridge.

    The 26th NC Regiment was the largest regiment in the Army of Northern Virginia and was involved in fierce fighting on Day 1 against Iron Brigade Units from Michigan and Indiana, followed by being a lead regiment in Pickett’s Charge on Day 3.

    The 26th NC Regiment, Pettigrew’s Brigade, Heth’s Division, A.P. Hill’s 3rd Corps, Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia.
    Bob Green

  11. #1091
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    For those who like the WWII books (I love the Ian Toll stuff) may I heartily recommend Black Snow: Curtis LeMay and the firebombing of Tokyo by James Scott...a lot of fascinating stuff I had not known a lot of it related to my history thesis many decades ago at Duke.

  12. #1092
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    For those who like the WWII books (I love the Ian Toll stuff) may I heartily recommend Black Snow: Curtis LeMay and the firebombing of Tokyo by James Scott...a lot of fascinating stuff I had not known a lot of it related to my history thesis many decades ago at Duke.
    Thanks for the recommendation. My two favorite history topics are WWII in the Pacific and the American Civil War. I’ve read about the Tokyo firebombing but will check out this book.
    Bob Green

  13. #1093
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. My two favorite history topics are WWII in the Pacific and the American Civil War. I’ve read about the Tokyo firebombing but will check out this book.
    “Ghost Soldiers” is a great book if you have not read it:

    IMG_1418.jpg

  14. #1094
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    sitting in my on deck circle is the new Amor Towles book, Table for Two...

  15. #1095
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Ghost Soldiers” is a great book if you have not read it:

    IMG_1418.jpg
    Agree.

  16. #1096

    Jennifer Egan

    I've now read companion novels "A Visit from the Goon Squad" (Pulitzer-Prize winner) and "The Candy House" (NY Times 10 best books) by Jennifer Egan. The depth of characters and their interrelation is remarkable, the stories are funny, heartbreaking, and hopeful, and the different narrative techniques are creative and part of the story and character development. I would not be shocked if Egan wins the Nobel Prize in the future, that is, if they ever decided to give one to an American other than a musician again.

  17. #1097
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I've now read companion novels "A Visit from the Goon Squad" (Pulitzer-Prize winner) and "The Candy House" (NY Times 10 best books) by Jennifer Egan. The depth of characters and their interrelation is remarkable, the stories are funny, heartbreaking, and hopeful, and the different narrative techniques are creative and part of the story and character development. I would not be shocked if Egan wins the Nobel Prize in the future, that is, if they ever decided to give one to an American other than a musician again.
    I"m a big Egan fan myself.

Similar Threads

  1. Burn After Reading
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 05:14 AM
  2. Reading to the baby
    By blublood in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
  3. 'Tis the season to keep reading...any suggestions?
    By dukepsy1963 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 05:26 PM
  4. After 8 years of reading posts...
    By Overt Heelfan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •