Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    speaking of gunslingers, was the Lone Ranger ahead of his time or what? He could come into the grocery store today and no one would bat an eye, except for the horse thing...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    speaking of gunslingers, was the Lone Ranger ahead of his time or what? He could come into the grocery store today and no one would bat an eye, except for the horse thing...
    Eyes covered, but nose and mouth exposed? He’d be mask-shamed as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Eyes covered, but nose and mouth exposed? He’d be mask-shamed as hell.
    he only exhales when he's out on the range, where the deer and the antelope, they play.

he only exhales when he's out on the range, where the deer and the antelope, they play.
    Y’know, it might have been more practical just to get some really dark sunglasses. Same identity protection, better UV protection.

Y’know, it might have been more practical just to get some really dark sunglasses. Same identity protection, better UV protection.
    ha, yeah, he and Superman both went pretty lean on the masquerade thing...

Audiobook Narrator JD Jackson

Some folks up in the thread expressed a preference for audiobooks, so I just wanted to throw out a plug for narrator JD Jackson. I'm biased--he reads my Seth Walker series--but he does a lot more high-profile books than mine! In particular, he narrated not one but TWO Pulitzer Prize winners last year, Colson Whitehead's The Nickel Boys and Jericho Brown's The Tradition.

I just started Nickel Boys, and I was instantly reminded how much I love his voice. It is so smooth, but simultaneously has this touch of gravel to it that adds depth and soul. If you're looking for a a good listen, definitely look for his name and give one of his a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephReidBooks View Post
    Some folks up in the thread expressed a preference for audiobooks, so I just wanted to throw out a plug for narrator JD Jackson. I'm biased--he reads my Seth Walker series--but he does a lot more high-profile books than mine! In particular, he narrated not one but TWO Pulitzer Prize winners last year, Colson Whitehead's The Nickel Boys and Jericho Brown's The Tradition.

I just started Nickel Boys, and I was instantly reminded how much I love his voice. It is so smooth, but simultaneously has this touch of gravel to it that adds depth and soul. If you're looking for a a good listen, definitely look for his name and give one of his a try.

Not that you can say or want to reveal, but is Book 3 a little less violent than number 2 was? I've been trying to move to kinder, gentler books and movies/TV show in the last couple weeks.

Just about finished with Band of Brothers by Ambrose.

I'm a semi- WWII nut but didn't think this was the best. Very well researched and documented but tries to keep up with a few too many people/events so there isn't much flow. Haven't seen the show so may try to watch it this summer. See if it's better than the book.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Just about finished with Band of Brothers by Ambrose.

I'm a semi- WWII nut but didn't think this was the best. Very well researched and documented but tries to keep up with a few too many people/events so there isn't much flow. Haven't seen the show so may try to watch it this summer. See if it's better than the book.
    The TV series is one of the best things ever televised IMO. Seriously.

I really liked the book, but read it after seeing the series so I sort of knew many of the folks discussed before delving in.

I really liked the book, but read it after seeing the series so I sort of knew many of the folks discussed before delving in.
    I've heard the same from others.

My problem is that Mrs. Nrrrrvous doesn't like war dramas so I have to find lots of nights (10 episodes?) when she's not around or when I can sneak away. What with the current "stay at home" situation, that has been hard to do...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Poor Clayton Moore had to resort to the sunglasses for personal appearances. Got sued evidently for appearing as Lone Ranger.

Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates

Seth Walker Book #3, DEPARTURE

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Not that you can say or want to reveal, but is Book 3 a little less violent than number 2 was? I've been trying to move to kinder, gentler books and movies/TV show in the last couple weeks.
    A hard question to answer, for the reasons you note. I will say that DEPARTURE is more of a mystery. Actually, 2 mysteries. One present day, one in the past, that tie together and help Walker solve a missing persons case where a man has gone missing inside SFO airport. The stakes are even higher than before, the pace is faster. Due to the location, all the innocent bystanders, etc, Seth is a lot less likely to pull his gun and start shooting indiscriminately...does that help?

BoB Requires Re-Watching

Totally agree with you on this OPK! I will say, I got a lot more out of Band of Brothers the show (having not read the book) on my second watch. The first time around, everyone is relatively anonymous for the first couple of episodes, and the way they're in the dark, camo'd up, it's hard to tell one guy from another. The second time through, when you know who everyone is and their ultimate fate, those first few episodes have new meaning.

I hope no one takes this as any kind of indictment. This is one of those series that I can just watch and watch, over and over.

Totally agree with you on this OPK! I will say, I got a lot more out of Band of Brothers the show (having not read the book) on my second watch. The first time around, everyone is relatively anonymous for the first couple of episodes, and the way they're in the dark, camo'd up, it's hard to tell one guy from another. The second time through, when you know who everyone is and their ultimate fate, those first few episodes have new meaning.

I hope no one takes this as any kind of indictment. This is one of those series that I can just watch and watch, over and over.
    Agree 100%. The interviews with the real guys at the beginning of each episode are fantastic, especially since they do not tell you who each one is until the end. Such as:

For those that happen to find themselves near Toccoa, Georgia, there is a wonderful airborne museum there: https://www.toccoahistory.com/

You can still hike Currahee, it’s a bear at the end.

I am just finishing the book and I almost feel the same way about rereading it. By the end of the book you are familiar with the names/characters. I want to reread the first half of the book now that I am familiar!
    What I think I will do is now that I am finishing the book, I will watch the series, then go back and read it again. Or maybe I will decide after watching that I don't need to go back and read it again. We'll see.

anyone looking for a good, new WWII read might want to check this out, Dead Reckoning, about payback time for Yamamoto-san after Pearl Harbor...
    https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Reckonin...s%2C226&sr=1-2

ha, yeah, he and Superman both went pretty lean on the masquerade thing...
    Do I see the Bat-Signal?

Finished the audiobook for Ghost Soldiers this weekend, great content.

On to Takeoff this weekend if the weather cooperates!

(I read all day, every day, for work — really find it hard to do for pleasure unfortunately. But audiobooks are great for really long walks and hikes)
    I pretty much read all day, every day, for work, and then read for pleasure when I get home.

Right now I'm reading Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee, by Casey Cep. It's about a preacher in Alabama, circa 1970, who started bumping off people he had life insurance on, and getting away with it. At the funeral of the last of these, one of the attendees shot the killer in cold blood. The trial is for the killer of the killer, and it was apparently attended daily by Harper Lee. I'm about 1/3 of the way in, and it's fascinating.

Reading the Pale Faced Lie: A True Story. I'm about 2/3's through it and although it is a remarkable story about perseverance and what the author went through as a child I find myself angry every time I pick it up. The guy's dad was an absolute monster. Abusive doesn't even scratch the surface. It just pisses me off that people can be so cruel to their own children in this world. It's a good read but you've been warned.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."