Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    I'll guess Donald Duck Dunn. Although I bet that many are uncredited.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Not even close, but at least you tried.

ricks
    I knew Flux has been on a bunch of albums, so I just looked it up. Amazingly, he's been on over 1600 albums. So I wanna know what the record is now!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Can anyone guess who that other musician is without looking it up?

ricks

Glen Campbell?

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I knew Flux has been on a bunch of albums, so I just looked it up. Amazingly, he's been on over 1600 albums. So I wanna know what the record is now!
    I am talking about music produced by a person's actual voice or by the individual playing a classically defined musical instrument. No digital artificial stuff. And it also disallows that Bob Moog has been on more albums than anyone else, or may ever be in the future (until some new invention not based on the Moog Synthesizer comes along).

And, as an aside, did anyone out there know that Moog Synthesizers are all analog and not digital? Pretty cool.

ricks

I am talking about music produced by a person's actual voice or by the individual playing a classically defined musical instrument. No digital artificial stuff. And it also disallows that Bob Moog has been on more albums than anyone else, or may ever be in the future (until some new invention not based on the Moog Synthesizer comes along).

And, as an aside, did anyone out there know that Moog Synthesizers are all analog and not digital? Pretty cool.

ricks
    Hint: Think of a simple musical instrument that is used in the background and then what famous musician would have played it------along with various other instruments, over a period of decades.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Oh, and by the way, this musician has been on way more than 1600 recordings.

ricks

ricks
    Hmm. The resonator guitar was invented by the Dopyera Brothers to give the guitar a larger voice that could be heard more clearly within a symphony orchestra. It is not digital in any way, but has a resonator plate that doesn't even involve electricity to amplify sound. But it is your question, so I'd still love to know who your artist is. The 1600 number I got from Wikipedia could be too high. On Douglas' own site there is a discography that lists 'over 800' albums and acknowledges that as an incomplete number. How incomplete? I don't know.

edit: You've got me. Way over 1600? Is it Wilt Chamberlain?
    Last edited by killerleft; 05-15-2016 at 01:29 AM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I'm late to this party, but I feel there are some worth mentioning that haven't been (at least I didn't see them up thread).

Hard Rock/Metal virtuoso dudes:
    Paul Gilbert (Racer X, Mr. Big)
    Tony MacAlpine (a solo act who has some of the best classical chops you will ever hear)
    Vernon Reid (Living Colour - I actually love how this guy just went nuts on the axe)
    Ty Tabor (King's X)

Jazz/fusion guys:
    Allan Holdsworth (I listened to Metal Fatigue over and over in the 80's)
    Stanley Jordan (hands down the most impressive guitarist I've seen live, very unconventional - check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeooHiX4oH0)
    Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

...what happened to Norman Blake?...

I think he has been on more albums than only one other musician. Can anyone guess who that other musician is without looking it up?

ricks
    Hint: Think of a simple musical instrument that is used in the background and then what famous musician would have played it------along with various other instruments, over a period of decades.

ricks
    Got it.
    hqdefault.jpg

Oh, and by the way, this musician has been on way more than 1600 recordings.

ricks
    Time to move on and put this to rest. It's Charlie McCoy.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I'm late to this party, but I feel there are some worth mentioning that haven't been (at least I didn't see them up thread).
    Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
    What about Belew (Adrian!)?

Also, John McLaughlin in action.

I think he has been on more albums than only one other musician. Can anyone guess who that other musician is without looking it up?

Time to move on and put this to rest. It's Charlie McCoy.

ricks
    Without looking, Hal Blaine probably takes McCoy on total count and certainly takes him on total hits. IIRC, Blaine played on 7 consecutive Records of the Year and 150 Top 10's.

If Warren Haynes (co founder of best power trio I can think of) says this, it needs to be said here:

"Early ZZ Top was definitely an influence on the Mule. 'Just Got Paid' was one of the first covers we worked up when we only knew a handful of songs." - Warren Haynes

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    If Warren Haynes (co founder of best power trio I can think of) says this, it needs to be said here:

"Early ZZ Top was definitely an influence on the Mule. 'Just Got Paid' was one of the first covers we worked up when we only knew a handful of songs." - Warren Haynes
    I saw ZZ Top, when they opened up for Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies show in Greensboro.

1/3 of the crowd left after ZZ played. They were already rocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Without looking, Hal Blaine probably takes McCoy on total count and certainly takes him on total hits. IIRC, Blaine played on 7 consecutive Records of the Year and 150 Top 10's.
    Wow! Astounding! How could I have missed that? Meyer and Rose must have been so proud, even though he didn't become a doctor.

ricks

Wow! Astounding! How could I have missed that? Meyer and Rose must have been so proud, even though he didn't become a doctor.

ricks
    Back when Frank Sinatra was The Man in Vegas, Frank paid his drummer $750 a week. At the same time, Nancy Sinatra played Vegas and paid Hal Blaine $2,500 a week and displayed Hal's name on the marquee. Hal drove a gorgeous Rolls-Royce and lived in a mansion. Not many doctors did at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

With renewed Warren Haynes reference, I will put in my (obligatory?) plug for Stefan Lessard on bass. Victor Wooten's no slouch, either.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

How cool would it be if all the top drummers, guitarist and singers would use go pros or somthing similar during their performances and shared it. Was thinking about it when I saw this video of John Hawley (amateur drummer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Hh3wlqjT8

Pretty cool to see everything from their perspective and would be even cooler in front of huge crowds with lighting and special effects.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    How cool would it be if all the top drummers, guitarist and singers would use go pros or somthing similar during their performances and shared it. Was thinking about it when I saw this video of John Hawley (amateur drummer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Hh3wlqjT8

Pretty cool to see everything from their perspective and would be even cooler in front of huge crowds with lighting and special effects.
    Is there a trade secret issue here? Historically, Eddie Van Halen was less than forthcoming, often playing with his back to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Is there a trade secret issue here? Historically, Eddie Van Halen was less than forthcoming, often playing with his back to the basket.
    "back to the basket"?
    According to Mr Hagar, Van Halen was too blistered to realize what was up, down, left or right, to or from any basket or bucket that was anywhere near,

But that didn't mean he wasn't rockin'. Even if everyone was out of step but him.