Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Doughnuts are not as bad for you as some have stated. You could eat half a dozen a day, your entire life, and live to be 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Doughnuts are not as bad for you as some have stated. You could eat half a dozen a day, your entire life, and live to be 90.
    If that's a guarantee, I'm in. Hey, if I double that, can I live even longer?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Inspired by this doughnut:

http://voodoodoughnut.com/voodoo-doughnut-doughnuts.php

You'll have to scroll down to the Memphis Mafia creation as I couldn't copy/link the description or photo.

Followed that link. Two thoughts. First, I'd love this place if it was around here! Second that Memphis Mafia doughnut sounds awesome to me!

You could, yes... but for the vast majority of people, eating that much sugar is terrible for your teeth, your liver, and your overall mood. It is also a great way to get diabetes, to get heart disease, and to become obese.

Let's not candy coat what eating six doughnuts a day will do to the the average American body.

"Doughnuts, is there anything they can't do?" - Homer Simpson

I am a doughnut lover. I would personally much rather waste calories on doughnuts (and other sweets) than beer. Preferably something with chocolate - the Entenmann's Devil's Food Crumb doughnuts are likely my favorites. When I was at Duke and had the world's fastest metabolism I could eat several at a time. Now I have to be much more careful to maintain my playing weight so my consumption is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    You could, yes... but for the vast majority of people, eating that much sugar is terrible for your teeth, your liver, and your overall mood. It is also a great way to get diabetes, to get heart disease, and to become obese.

Let's not candy coat what eating six doughnuts a day will do to the the average American body.
    IMO, our genetics are much more likely to determine our lifespan than our diet. Unfortunately, I knew many people who had extremely healthy diets, for many years, who died in their 50's and 60's. My Uncle truly ate 8-12 doughnuts a day (he used the daily dozen box as a car rest), for 70 years, and lived to be 90. His parents lived to be 88 and 92.

I'm definitely not recommending eating doughnuts daily. I'm merely saying some of these posts appear excessive given my real life experiences.

How about just one doughnut a day?

180s.jpg

"Tex-A(ss). Challenge Doughnut
    Giant Doughnut equals 6 of our doughnuts in size. If you can eat this doughnut in 80 seconds or less. You get your money back!"

(parenthesis above are mine )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

How about just one doughnut a day?

180s.jpg

"Tex-A(ss). Challenge Doughnut
    Giant Doughnut equals 6 of our doughnuts in size. If you can eat this doughnut in 80 seconds or less. You get your money back!"

(parenthesis above are mine )
    Sure looks edouble, redouble, and edible.

If you are going to have a donut, you might as well have one that dreams are made of.

Dream Fluff in Berkeley.

I mean, if Portland and Eugene and Denver can use Voodoo to make them, why can't we also just dream them up?

Anybody have any other great names for donut shops? In my area, there are only chains or generic/bland names: Happy Donuts, Donut King, Best Donuts, Chick's. The chains are KK and Allstar. (Allstar is very good here in the Bay Area.) DD has has recently promised to join the market here. One is supposed to open in my neighborhood in the near (but unspecified) future. Leases signed, buzz, etc., but no action, as yet.

Anyway, I challenge the list to find better names than Voodoo or Dream Fluff.

Footnote: Before it closed its dimestores in 1997, the best donut outlet in downtown San Francisco was a department in Woolworth's on Market Street next to the cablecar turntable. The City's loss.

The Cronie (croissant donut) at Rise in Durham is pure heaven.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

IMO, our genetics are much more likely to determine our lifespan than our diet. Unfortunately, I knew many people who had extremely healthy diets, for many years, who died in their 50's and 60's. My Uncle truly ate 8-12 doughnuts a day (he used the daily dozen box as a car rest), for 70 years, and lived to be 90. His parents lived to be 88 and 92.

I'm definitely not recommending eating doughnuts daily. I'm merely saying some of these posts appear excessive given my real life experiences.
    Did you know that your diet actually has an effect on your genes though? Sort of a new field. It's called epigenetics.

Anyway, I'm sure we both are firm in our stance on nutrition. I'm gonna continue to stay away from doughnuts. My life experience is that at 39 and while taking it easy on processed foods, sugar, and alcohol, and eating lots of green vegetables and lean protein, I am still at sub 10% body fat, I can still run an under 6:00 mile, and I can still deadlift 300+ pounds. Looking good and having a functional body is really important to me. Most of that I attribute to healthy diet and adequate sleep. This while my facebook feed is full of peers that are always posting pictures of themselves pigging out/boozing and looking like they're all about 15-20 lbs overweight.

Yes, of course there are people that can eat whatever they want and they are going to be fine. The rise of obesity, cancer, and diabetes in America, however, show these people to be the anomalies. My experience in medical school was that every disease that we studied usually had the risk factors of "excess alcohol use", "smoking/nicotine use", and "poor diet"... seriously, like almost every disease! It's really rolling the dice if you want to disregard nutrition and hope that you are in that small minority that is less effected by the food you put in your body. Eating six doughnuts a day, IMO, is a really bad idea. My opinion, being backed by JAMA...

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=1819571

Did you know that your diet actually has an effect on your genes though?
    Duh. If I eat a lot of doughnuts, my genes don't fit anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Duh. If I eat a lot of doughnuts, my genes don't fit anymore.
    POTD.😂 (Somebody please lay the sporks on this post for me as I can't at this time.)

ricks

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    On the hole, I like them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Did you know that your diet actually has an effect on your genes though? Sort of a new field. It's called epigenetics.

Anyway, I'm sure we both are firm in our stance on nutrition. I'm gonna continue to stay away from doughnuts. My life experience is that at 39 and while taking it easy on processed foods, sugar, and alcohol, and eating lots of green vegetables and lean protein, I am still at sub 10% body fat, I can still run an under 6:00 mile, and I can still deadlift 300+ pounds. Looking good and having a functional body is really important to me. Most of that I attribute to healthy diet and adequate sleep. This while my facebook feed is full of peers that are always posting pictures of themselves pigging out/boozing and looking like they're all about 15-20 lbs overweight.

Yes, of course there are people that can eat whatever they want and they are going to be fine. The rise of obesity, cancer, and diabetes in America, however, show these people to be the anomalies. My experience in medical school was that every disease that we studied usually had the risk factors of "excess alcohol use", "smoking/nicotine use", and "poor diet"... seriously, like almost every disease! It's really rolling the dice if you want to disregard nutrition and hope that you are in that small minority that is less effected by the food you put in your body. Eating six doughnuts a day, IMO, is a really bad idea. My opinion, being backed by JAMA...

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=1819571
    No, thanks for the information, epigenetics was not on my radar.

IMO, environmental cancer is increasing rapidly in America. In the last ten years, I have known many people who never smoked cigarettes, drank alcohol, or had poor diets who died of cancer. One was a married couple, who died 7 weeks apart, of different types of blood cancer. The "healthy" food we eat is spayed with pesticides, feed antibiotics, feed hormones, etc. Sure, I can stopping eating all red meat, but then Frank Perdue may kill me. I wonder about water treatment, air quality, food packaging and preparation, home building material, etc.

Life is short, IMO, we should do what makes us smile, as long as it does not hurt anyone else. I occasionally enjoy "unhealthy" food in moderation. Ice cream is an excellent example. And, I probably eat doughnuts about once a month.

No, thanks for the information, epigenetics was not on my radar.

IMO, environmental cancer is increasing rapidly in America. In the last ten years, I have known many people who never smoked cigarettes, drank alcohol, or had poor diets who died of cancer. One was a married couple, who died 7 weeks apart, of different types of blood cancer. The "healthy" food we eat is spayed with pesticides, feed antibiotics, feed hormones, etc. Sure, I can stopping eating all red meat, but then Frank Perdue may kill me. I wonder about water treatment, air quality, food packaging and preparation, home building material, etc.
    Yes, agree... I wonder about all that stuff too. Our mattresses and furniture are filled with toxic flame retardants.

Life is short, IMO, we should do what makes us smile, as long as it does not hurt anyone else. I occasionally enjoy "unhealthy" food in moderation. Ice cream is an excellent example. And, I probably eat doughnuts about once a month.
    I drink beer and eat ice cream too. But in extreme moderation. My only beef is with six donuts/day. I have no issue with treats. Treats are essential!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    On the hole, I like them.
    No getting a-round that opinion.

And let's leave c*rolina our of the donut discussion, please...

And let's leave c*rolina our of the donut discussion, please...
    You just want to glaze over them?

Yes, agree... I wonder about all that stuff too. Our mattresses and furniture are filled with toxic flame retardants.

I drink beer and eat ice cream too. But in extreme moderation. My only beef is with six donuts/day. I have no issue with treats. Treats are essential!
    Wait, you eat mattresses and furniture? I guess they're OK as they can be labeled as comfort food and extra fiber in your diet .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You just want to glaze over them?
    That's the yeast I'd like to do to them. I'd go full baker's dozen on them and that's not just a half-baked idea.