Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Doughnuts - what's your opinion?

Yes - this is a serious question. I want to know what you love about them (or don't) and if you've got a great doughnut story, please post it.

Sad to say, to me, they're one of those things you outgrow in early adulthood, like video gaming.

In principle, I love Krispy Kreme. My parents live in Winston-Salem. In practice, there's no way I'm putting that stuff in my mouth at 39. 20, I'd eat half a box. Time waits for no man.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Love them, mainly the lighter dough type, in other words not the cake type. Strawberry topping is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yes - this is a serious question. I want to know what you love about them (or don't) and if you've got a great doughnut story, please post it.
    Doughnuts? You're kidding, right? Next thing you know, we'll be discussing Pop Tarts .

Oh, wait...

Seriously, I'll eat half of one occasionally if they're brought to the office but won't go out and buy any quantity of them.

Preferred flavors: raspberry jam-filled, chocolate cake with or w/o chocolate icing, Boston cream/custard pie (not trying to solicit any illicit sporking either )

Also known to eat a doughnut hole whilst consuming a Burial Skillet Donut Stout. Chocolate, of course.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Love the lighter ones. Love the cake like ones. Love the cream filled ones. Love them all. Last year my town got a Duck Donuts. This summer we're getting a Krispy Kreme. Let the donut wars begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Too much sugar. To me, it's like eating sugar and air. For a treat, I'll take something more substantive, like a nice, organic chocolate bar, a cannoli, a piece of homemade cheesecake, etc.

old fashioned sour cream w/powder sugar sprinkled on top and a light drizzle of chocolate - nice crunch on the outside. Don't like the glazed version - it makes my teeth hurt (Mentally, not physically). Also white fluff filled long johns. I indulge about once a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    old fashioned sour cream w/powder sugar sprinkled on top and a light drizzle of chocolate - nice crunch on the outside. Don't like the glazed version - it makes my teeth hurt (Mentally, not physically). Also white fluff filled long johns. I indulge about once a quarter.
    Lemon filled, raspberry filled, maple and bacon.

Doughnut enthusiasts must go to Hole in West Asheville. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Made to order while you wait? Damn tasty.

On the once or twice a year I indulge, a Krispy Kreme Hot Now or two.

-jk

The absolute worst food to put in your body.

I think the last one I had was about 3 years ago.

Wow, a lot of people here really don't like doughnuts. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, they're terrible for you, but...

I'm partial to the ethnic ones, like piroshiki.

Hmm, I don't think I have a great story about them, though years ago, a group of friends and I did try to walk back from the Greek Theater to my West Hollywood apartment, stopping at every doughnut place along the way. I think we made it to about five of them, and then just gave up. If we'd kept going, I don't think any of us would've ever gotten home. I didn't even want to look at a doughnut for quite some time after that.

Ymm, Doughnuts:

rs_600x600-140527093901-600.Krispy-Kreme-Cheeseburger-JR-52714_copy.jpg

Holy @#$%, I'm getting chest pain just looking at that photo .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Sad to say, to me, they're one of those things you outgrow in early adulthood, like video gaming.

In principle, I love Krispy Kreme. My parents live in Winston-Salem. In practice, there's no way I'm putting that stuff in my mouth at 39. 20, I'd eat half a box. Time waits for no man.
    I totally agree (at ... half a generation older).

Or at least that was my experience. I don't really care for them now, and would choose almost any other breakfast food over a doughnut.
    If I'm going to have one either to be polite or if I have no choice, I like the cake, as they aren't so over-the-top sweet, aren't as messy, and sometimes have a slight crunch to them on the outside. When I'm feeling carefree I might like half a blueberry sour cream one. A full one is too much, usually, but it's a pretty good taste combo if you can take a measured portion.

This talk reminds me of a quip I heard that Louis CK said. Paraphrasing: "The meal isn't over when I'm full. The meal is over when I hate myself."

Doria: not sure how old you are, but some say that people (or at least men) tend to lose their taste for sweets (to some degree) as they age. It's certainly been the case for me. Might explain my increased toleration for bitter, too, as in dark chocolate and dark malted beverages.

One of my earliest memories in life is of my dad taking me to a stand-alone (non-chain) donut shop in my hometown, and I'd always get something they called the "long john" which was shaped more like a sub sandwich (oblong) rather than round, and was filled with vanilla cream. Delectable. Now I still get a vanilla cream donut every now and again at Dunkin' Donuts. Maple frosted at DD is good, too. Even though I like vanilla cream, I cannot stand any sort of custard or any other filling, and don't like cake donuts, chocolate covered donuts, etc ...

One time I was doing a road race in a cold rain and a Krispy Kreme was on the course, and the "hot donuts now" sign came on as my part of the participants passed, and somebody close by to me said in the most fierce tone (and not really joking) -- "rat bastards." Made me laugh.

When my daughter was very small and learning to sit through Mass, I'd promise a trip to DD if she remained silent/respectful/paid attention. As we were driving away from the church one Sunday, she endearingly asked "Are we going to Donut Dunkin?" Melted my heart the way she transposed the words. I told her hell no, and to respect corporate names and learn them. She's a vegetarian now, and shies away from donuts.

sugar, the OTHER white powder that america is addicted to, is about the worst thing you can put into your body...that said,

KK - - "HOT" - legendary glaze - there is no equal...none...nada...zip...the mic drop of doughnuts
    KK - Glaze - not "hot"
    KK - Glaze - been in the box for couple days..

KK - Rasberry
    KK - chokolate kake

Britts - carolina beach

duck opened up in cary and i wasn't impressed...

I kicked the habit about 5 years ago, but you'd have to pay me project rate to get me to even consider eating a "dunkin" donut..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Go to Hole, doughnut lovers, go to Hole!

[clap, clap}

Ms ricks, amused cc, Mattman and yours truly met at Burial to consume a freshly made dozen of KK donuts to have with our Skillet a while ago. Great donuts and great beer, but the donuts weren't "cakey " enough. Gotta pick up some of the Vortex around the corner as Hole is too far away to survive the journey.😊 (or did we share a different meal that evening? Too much great beer to remember exactly.)

ricks

Gotta agree, having one of these is like seeing unicorns lately...not anything I choose to look for anymore.

That said, a plain, unsugared, cooked to a certain crunchiness on the outside, cake-like inside, and dunked in coffee, is special.

Damn it.