Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Masters

Langer is way off the pace now.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Langer is way off the pace now.
    Danny Willett suddenly in a nice spot.

Shadows become a real issue on the holes at the low end of the course (11-13, 15-16). Not so much 14, 17, and 18 which are higher and a western-setting sun is not obstructed.

Very anticlimactic. Feel bad for Jason.

Danny is a good story with the recent birth of his kid. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Very anticlimactic. Feel bad for Jason.

Danny is a good story with the recent birth of his kid. Congrats.
    Day was never in contention. Now, Jordan: Jordan I feel for. Having to put that green jacket on someone else's shoulders after that experience had to be as emotionally harrowing as it gets in sports, especially for a 22-year-old. Imagine Marcus Paige having to make the title trophy presentation to Kris Jenkins. As you say, that one's gonna leave a mark.

(NB: I knew what you meant ...)
    Last edited by Tripping William; 04-10-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Day was never in contention. Now, Jordan: Jordan I feel for. Having to put that green jacket on someone else's shoulders after that experience had to be as emotionally harrowing as it gets in sports, especially for a 22-year-old. Imagine Marcus Paige having to make the title trophy presentation to Kris Jenkins. As you say, that one's gonna leave a mark.

(NB: I knew what you meant ...)
    Very well-stared, as always.

Well, that was certainly a thing that happened.

If you want to see it happening, when it's no longer happening, it's on CBS Sports right now.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Watching Spieth blow up on 12 reminded me of this Rick Reilly gem from 1990.

http://www.si.com/vault/1990/04/02/1...ld-be-and-more
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Watching Spieth blow up on 12 reminded me of this Rick Reilly gem from 1990.

http://www.si.com/vault/1990/04/02/1...ld-be-and-more
    Great article from before Freddie Couples was able to leave it on the embankment just across Rae's Creek, on his way to winning the event in 1992. Reminds me a little of someone else's shot that spring.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Do you feel bad for Spieth

He is 22, multi-millionaire, 2nd ranked golfer in the world, seems to in good health, just finished tied for second in the Masters and people feel sorry for him..

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    He is 22, multi-millionaire, 2nd ranked golfer in the world, seems to in good health, just finished tied for second in the Masters and people feel sorry for him..
    His last five majors: Champion, champion, one stroke out of a playoff, second place, second place. He made two horrible strokes out of 284 (shot 286, two of which were penalty strokes.) His potential remaining major-winning window is about as long as the time he's been on earth so far.

I think he'll pull though.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    His potential remaining major-winning window is about as long as the time he's been on earth so far
    So, what you are saying is my window just closed.

*Puts away clubs...

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    His last five majors: Champion, champion, one stroke out of a playoff, second place, second place. He made two horrible strokes out of 284 (shot 286, two of which were penalty strokes.) His potential remaining major-winning window is about as long as the time he's been on earth so far.

I think he'll pull though.
    Well, he relies on his putter. At some point, it will betray him, and he will never get back that confidence. It could be tomorrow, it could be in 10 years, but winning majors later in ones career is not a lock for anyone. And no one puts together massive runs like Jordan has once the clock starts ticking down.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Well, he relies on his putter. At some point, it will betray him, and he will never get back that confidence. It could be tomorrow, it could be in 10 years, but winning majors later in ones career is not a lock for anyone. And no one puts together massive runs like Jordan has once the clock starts ticking down.
    How many majors do you think he will win in his career?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The alternative argument would be that - because he isn't reliant on a big drive - his game is more likely to last longer into his late-30s/early-40s than someone whose game depends more on dominating course based on distance rather than short game.

The comment about "when the putter fails him, he'll fade" is true of every player. Even the big drivers. Pretty much everybody depends on putting to compete in majors.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The comment about "when the putter fails him, he'll fade" is true of every player. Even the big drivers. Pretty much everybody depends on putting to compete in majors.
    This is true. Just ask Dustin Johnson how many majors he has.

Spieth's run of top finishes in majors is impressive but other than the blowout win at Augusta last year he hasn't been dominant. If Dustin Johnson (see above) doesn't 3 putt at last year's US Open he could have very well beaten Spieth and we would be talking about a guy with only 1 major at this point. Now the flip side of that is he is consistently in contention and if he continues to be able to do that you would think he would win his share of them and end up with several by the time he's done.

He's been so good at such a young age I don't think it's a fluke myself. I think he ends up with 5 or more.

What would you put the over/under bet at? I'm thinking >4
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The alternative argument would be that - because he isn't reliant on a big drive - his game is more likely to last longer into his late-30s/early-40s than someone whose game depends more on dominating course based on distance rather than short game.

Agreed. IMO, Tom Watson is a very good example.

Quote Originally Posted by dukiecb View Post

what would you put the over/under bet at? I'm thinking >4
    Higher, IMO, 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Higher, IMO, 7.
    He may do it but if I'm betting I wouldn't go that high. Phil, Seve and Byron Nelson only have 5. Faldo and Trevino have 6 each. When you get to seven you are in even better company with the likes of Arnie, Snead, Jones, Vardon and Sarazen. Only 6 players in the history of the game have won more than 7!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    He may do it but if I'm betting I wouldn't go that high. Phil, Seve and Byron Nelson only have 5. Faldo and Trevino have 6 each. When you get to seven you are in even better company with the likes of Arnie, Snead, Jones, Vardon and Sarazen. Only 6 players in the history of the game have won more than 7!
    Very true, it is a rare accomplishment and I'm sure Vegas would put the over/under below 7.

I think he can win 5 more at age 22 based on his skill set, demonstrated maturity, and displayed priorities. Take away some abnormally bad choices on the 12th and he would probably already have 3 at age 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How many majors do you think he will win in his career?
    Minimum 5, I'll guess 7. He'll never have the clear water that Woods, for instance, had, or I'd say more. No offense to Chris DiMarco and Stewart Cink and all, but Day, McIlroy, Bubba, Rose, and Scott all have lots of years left, tons of talent, and have won majors already. The first two of those guys have had periods where they've been dominant over everyone else on tour, so I'd say they're each likely to win at least a few more. Zach Johnson and Oosthuizen aren't too old yet to win majors again, either. And then there's Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Casey, Stenson, and a raft of younger talent coming up. There's a lot of depth right now.

I'd be surprised if Spieth doesn't win at least three or four green jackets, though. He's entered the tournament three times and almost won each time; despite not being a big power player, he was the first to ever get to 19 under last year. Augusta obviously, other than 12, suits him perfectly. And I'd wager that he'll play another 25 years there before he tries to hit a fade at the Sunday pin placement on 12 again. It's an Achille's Heel that can be overcome, and he can win even if he bogies that hole on Sunday every other year. Take Arnold's advice and go over the front trap every time.