Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Four. The BRAVES moved to Turner Field in 1997, after the Olympics.
    Yes, you're right, 1997...good catch.
    But BARVES.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    How about the 81 games not played in that park? The Mariners' offense still sucks.
    Hey now, my first date with my wife was a Mariners game. That park does some good; our ten year anniversary is next Saturday.

The braves are ON FIRE. 3 I. A row! Nothing like a trip to Miami to cure what ailes you!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    The braves are ON FIRE. 3 I. A row! Nothing like a trip to Miami to cure what ailes you!
    Roger Ailes?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    After the first week of the season, I heard and read a lot of debate as to whether Miami would be in the top half of the division with the Mets and Nationals or down at the bottom with the Braves and Phillies.

I think we have our answer now.

Where are the cries of small sample size?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Only overly emotional, quick to judgement, conclusions allowed here. It's a long season. Let us enjoy the roller coaster. (Especially Braves fans).

4 in a row!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    You mean Bryce Harper isn't on pace to hit 87 home runs with 249 RBI?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    You mean Bryce Harper isn't on pace to hit 87 home runs with 249 RBI?
    Well, he IS on pace for that stat line. He just won't get there.

Arrieta making his presence felt early in the NL Cy Young race. Currently 4-0 with an ERA and WHIP below 1. And now a no-hitter (his second in his last 11 regular season starts).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Arrieta making his presence felt early in the NL Cy Young race. Currently 4-0 with an ERA and WHIP below 1. And now a no-hitter (his second in his last 11 regular season starts).
    Jake Arrieta is not human:

• last 24 regular season starts (all quality starts)
    • 20-1 record during that stretch
    • only game he lost was when the Cubs were no-hit by Cole Hamels
    • has 2 no hitters since his last loss
    • 0.86 ERA, 178.0 IP, 91 Hits, 173/33 K/BB, 0.697 WHIP

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    Jake Arrieta is not human:

• last 24 regular season starts (all quality starts)
    • 20-1 record during that stretch
    • only game he lost was when the Cubs were no-hit by Cole Hamels
    • has 2 no hitters since his last loss
    • 0.86 ERA, 178.0 IP, 91 Hits, 173/33 K/BB, 0.697 WHIP
    Yeah, and his first 4 starts of this season are exactly in line with his last 20 from last season. He is putting together the greatest regular season calendar year of pitching in the history of the game. It is unbelievable how dialed in he has been.

That was some fun last night. Way to go the full nine. Gosh, I love baseball!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    But just make sure you don't use park effect to diminish Greg Maddux's record -- he played the majority of his career in hitter-friendly parks and most of the rest of his career in a very neutral environment.
    I know. I have already used park effects to uphold his record in several posts. No one did what you are saying.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

And a no-hitter on a night when, by own admission and that of catcher David Ross, he did not have his usual command or best stuff. Frightening. Unless you're a Cubs fan, of course

He's crazy dominant right now. Two no hitters in 11 regular season starts? Stop it. That's ridiculous.

Last night was funny for two reasons: first, Arrieta didn't look "sharp" for the first three or four innings, but his standard of sharpness is now Clayton Kershaw so even when he doesn't have the great stuff working he's still elite; and second, because the game was so out of hand early, the TV guys were regularly informing viewers that Arrieta had a no-no going, instead of the standard don't mention it out of jinx position, because they didn't want people to turn over to the Blackhawks game and miss something special.

The Reds are not a good team. But last night was the Cubs clicking all at once - dominant starting pitching, Rizzo and Bryant bashing, everyone else in the order hitting, too. When their offensive stars are dialed in and any of the first three starters are going (and possibly even Hammel), that's going to be a tough team to beat. They're +60 in run differential 10% of the way into the season, leading the majors in runs scored and 1 run behind the Nats in runs against for the major league lead, and 12-4 with their best hitter scuffling along at .186 (although 5 homers and a lot of BB's). Obviously guys will slump, but it's hard to envision this team on an extended losing streak, and easy to imagine it reeling off 7 or 8 in a row.

The craziest part of the Arrieta rise is that he is less than 3 years removed from being a 27 year old demoted from the major leagues due to ineffectiveness. He had a 7.23 ERA with a 1.775 WHIP in the 2013 season before being traded to the Cubs from the Orioles. But almost immediately upon joining the Cubs and pitching coach Chris Bosio, he figured things out. His ERAs since joining the Cubs have been as follows:

2013 (just 9 starts): 3.66
    2014 (14 starts): 2.53
    2015 (33 starts): 1.77
    2016 (4 starts): 0.87

And this isn't like a guy finally "filling out" in the majors. He started this with a 7.23 ERA at age 27. It's kind of unreal.

He has given up just 14 earned runs in his last 24 starts, and just 6 ER in his last 16 regular season starts.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    The craziest part of the Arrieta rise is that he is less than 3 years removed from being a 27 year old demoted from the major leagues due to ineffectiveness. He had a 7.23 ERA with a 1.775 WHIP in the 2013 season before being traded to the Cubs from the Orioles. But almost immediately upon joining the Cubs and pitching coach Chris Bosio, he figured things out. His ERAs since joining the Cubs have been as follows:

2013 (just 9 starts): 3.66
    2014 (14 starts): 2.53
    2015 (33 starts): 1.77
    2016 (4 starts): 0.87

And this isn't like a guy finally "filling out" in the majors. He started this with a 7.23 ERA at age 27. It's kind of unreal.

He has given up just 14 earned runs in his last 24 starts, and just 6 ER in his last 16 regular season starts.
    One of the things that I read last year was that the Nats tried to trade for Arrieta in July of '13, but the Orioles wouldn't talk to them. According to Barry Svrluga's article in the Post, the Nats' scouts liked Arrieta and thought he needed a change of scenery. Here's the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-a-no-hitter/

It's fun for this Nats fan to think what the rotation would be like with Arrieta in the crowd.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Relating to who is now the Mets' ace: Marvel > DC

Who gets it?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Relating to who is now the Mets' ace: Marvel > DC

Who gets it?
    Thor over the Dark Knight?