Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

25 Years Ago Today

Still the biggest win in Duke basketball history. And I was there!

https://youtu.be/csETfUrD6ME?t=4521

I've cued the video to the 4:00 mark in the second half, just before Greg Anthony fouls out.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

I'm wondering if there was a single win that was the turning point in Duke basketball. There are many candidates, but I'd argue that the UNLV win is #1, given the insurmountable odds and the amount it raised Duke's profile, not to mention leading to the first championship for K.

Other candidates:

Duke vs. UConn 1990
    Duke vs. Kentucky 1992
    Duke vs. Michigan 1992

Any others?

Watched it in the Hideaway b/c Satisfactions (Lakewood) was packed. Naked people running around outside afterwards. Good times!

The years of frustration melted away that night

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'm wondering if there was a single win that was the turning point in Duke basketball. There are many candidates, but I'd argue that the UNLV win is #1, given the insurmountable odds and the amount it raised Duke's profile, not to mention leading to the first championship for K.

Other candidates:

Duke vs. UConn 1990
    Duke vs. Kentucky 1992
    Duke vs. Michigan 1992

Any others?
    Duke v. Temple, 1988

(I assume you mean in the K era)

Also, sweeping all three games against UNC in 1988 -- really changed the dynamics of the rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Duke v. Temple, 1988

Also, sweeping all three games against UNC in 1988 -- really changed the dynamics of the rivalry.
    I played a fun game of word association when you mentioned Temple.

Temple was coached by John Chaney.

Chaney once had it out with a young, upstart coach at UMass.

I played a fun game of word association when you mentioned Temple.

Temple was coached by John Chaney.

Chaney once had it out with a young, upstart coach at UMass.

I think about that encounter every time Cal's name comes up. Thanks for the link!

I think about that encounter every time Cal's name comes up. Thanks for the link!
    If only they hadn't held Chaney back...

Biggest shot in Duke history

Biggest free throws in Duke history

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Biggest shot in Duke history

Biggest free throws in Duke history
    Also, biggest dunk.

Other candidates:

Duke vs. UConn 1990
    Duke vs. Kentucky 1992
    Duke vs. Michigan 1992

Any others?
    82-50 will always hold a warm, special place in my heart but this 79-77 win over UNLV is likely the most important W in Duke MBB history.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    82-50 will always hold a warm, special place in my heart but this 79-77 win over UNLV is likely the most important W in Duke MBB history.
    Well, I mean in terms of making Duke a national power/household name.

Sure, beating UNC is nice and all. But what win really put Duke into the same conversation as Kentucky, UCLA, UNC, etc?

A couple of thoughts.

1) Anthony fouls out on a charge call. No replay of the interaction. No endless referee second-guessing. Just "it's a charge!" and then Anthony goes to the bench. How refreshing was that? I can't remember how long it's been since I saw something like that happen even in November, let alone in the national semi-final game.

2) How long was the shot clock? I thought it was 45 seconds, but it almost seemed longer. They never showed it until it was under 15.

Anyway, great, great win.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Duke v. Temple, 1988

The sweep of the cheats and Duke's rise to fame, probably caused Saint Dean to begin the years of cheating. Was the Temple game the one where Billy Sky King held Mark Macon to way below his average? Those were great years but the win against UNLV was the biggest win . GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The sweep of the cheats and Duke's rise to fame, probably caused Saint Dean to begin the years of cheating. Was the Temple game the one where Billy Sky King held Mark Macon to way below his average? Those were great years but the win against UNLV was the biggest win . GoDuke!
    Sure was. Macon Bacon.

To me what stood out was officials having the guts to call a foul with 12 seconds left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post

I've cued the video to the 4:00 mark in the second half, just before Greg Anthony fouls out.
    I was too! But, perhaps my name gave me away ...

I remember not being satisfied with just being close at half time and believing we could win. Their big men could not match up with Laettner, and Augmon had not faced a Grant Hill to match, and even exceed, his length and athleticism before. Has anyone ever seen Bobby Hurley and Tyus Jones in the same place at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post

I was there too, courtesy of a D.I coach and an extra ticket he had. The memory that still sticks out was thinking "Why did Hurley throw that pass?" just before Hill finished the play. Just a great weekend all around. Twenty-five years though - are you sure it isn't more like 15 or 16? We can't be that old!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    A couple of thoughts.

1) Anthony fouls out on a charge call. No replay of the interaction. No endless referee second-guessing. Just "it's a charge!" and then Anthony goes to the bench. How refreshing was that? I can't remember how long it's been since I saw something like that happen even in November, let alone in the national semi-final game.

2) How long was the shot clock? I thought it was 45 seconds, but it almost seemed longer. They never showed it until it was under 15.

Anyway, great, great win.
    A couple of things for me.

1. On Laettner's last rebound where he was fouled for the winning free throws: today, that foul would never be called. (of course, he made the put-back )
    2. The crowd after the game was over: wow it was loud.

My memories of this day (weekend): Mr. ramdevil & I went backpacking - Mr. ramdevil carried a (rather large) portable radio & 4 D batteries so we could listen to the game. But it snowed, so we cut the trip short and got back in time to watch on TV.

-ramdevil