Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 593
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    Game of Thrones 2016 (No Book Spoilers)

    We need a new thread for the new season (coming soon, in about a month). I actually think the TV show breaking from the books will be good as there will be no such thing as spoilers to ruin the surprises.

    As for me, my family just finished binge-watching the first 5 seasons. Awesome! So, now I am caught up with all of you. First of all, I am sure everyone has seen the new trailer that hit the internet a few days ago.
    https://youtu.be/CuH3tJPiP-U

    The trailer makes a few things clear:
    1. Daenerys has been captured by the Dothraki. She is not being hailed as their ruler and anyone who thought she would was not watching the same show I was. Clearly Jorah and Daario will have to rescue her. I wonder if Jorah's fatal Greyscale will impact them?
    2. John Snow is dead... but it sure feels like Davos is dead set on defending his body and keeping it from being burnt. I'd make a large wager that Melisandre has told Davos that she can raise Jon Snow from the dead. As an aside, the Night's Watch oath says, "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death..." so if John is brought back he is free to do whatever he wants... including leading an army to take back Winterfell.
    3. Sansa is definitely alive, not that there is any surprise in that.
    4. "I choose violence" is one of the great lines EVER. The Zombie Mountain is going to smash The Faith soldiers. Lancell Lannister may not be long for this world.
    5. Bran is back and is seeing visions of the Night's King (how/why did he get that name? Why can't he just be the King of the White Walkers?).
    6. Everyone is buzzing that there appear to be a couple flashback scenes in the trailer that show a very young Ned Stark leading a raid on the Targaryans in an attempt to rescue his sister, Lyanna. As most of you know, the hot rumor is that Lyanna was pregnant and gave birth to a Targaryan heir before she died. Ned takes that child and raises him as his own, but hides his identity as the bastard John Snow.

    -Jason "I was reading the old threads... Stannis is not alive. Brienne killed him, I'm sure of it." Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    2. John Snow is dead... but it sure feels like Davos is dead set on defending his body and keeping it from being burnt. I'd make a large wager that Melisandre has told Davos that she can raise Jon Snow from the dead. As an aside, the Night's Watch oath says, "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death..." so if John is brought back he is free to do whatever he wants... including leading an army to take back Winterfell.

    -Jason "I was reading the old threads... Stannis is not alive. Brienne killed him, I'm sure of it." Evans
    I nearly guarantee that Davos' line of "He's gone" is standard trailer misdirection and refers to Stannis and not Jon Snow. Though it is interesting that they haven't shown Ghost at all (Jon's wolf), who I always thought was key to Jon's survival/revival.

    I think Stannis is 50/50.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I nearly guarantee that Davos' line of "He's gone" is standard trailer misdirection and refers to Stannis and not Jon Snow. Though it is interesting that they haven't shown Ghost at all (Jon's wolf), who I always thought was key to Jon's survival/revival.

    I think Stannis is 50/50.
    Stannis is most likely the flayed man in the fire at 0:23 of the trailer.

    If you freeze frame the trailer at 1:35 Ghost is lying next to the "lifeless" body of Jon Snow when Davos pulls the sword.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

    "Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

  4. #4
    I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity for the new season to come out (which happens to be on my wife's birthday). And I haven't really gotten into any other shows recently, so I started rewatching all the episodes. One thing I have noticed, in watching again, and having read the books as well, is there are no wasted scenes, and no wasted lines. Foreshadowing is everywhere. I just didn't pick up most of it because of the what seems like thousands of storylines.

    In regards to Jon snow, there are a couple of recent things I noticed that I didn't pick up the first time. Little finger has a monologue about Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark at a jousting competition which sets the stage for the R+L=J. And last night, I was watching the Hardhome episode and there was a scene where Sam was talking to Ollie about Jon going to bring back the wildlings through the wall. Ollie asks if Jon will be ok, and Sam replies, "I've known Jon for many years, and he always comes back." Could he just be talking about going off with the wildlings, or going to kill the mutineers? Possibly. But I think it could be talking about a return in this season.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoflurane View Post
    In regards to Jon snow, there are a couple of recent things I noticed that I didn't pick up the first time. Little finger has a monologue about Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark at a jousting competition which sets the stage for the R+L=J.
    I agree, there's also a scene of Littlefinger and Sansa talking to each other last season. Sansa says something about how Rhaegar is horrible for kidnapping and raping Lyanna, and Littlefinger - who I normally think is the relative weak link in a great acting cast, but he does a great job in this scene - has to forcibly stop himself from rolling his eyes right out of his head. So maybe he'll be the one to make the reveal.

  6. #6
    Yup, that's the scene I was talking about.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    That's a very interesting point, Jason, about the Night's Watch oath. I totally hadn't thought about that. I think most people have thought that Jon is the key to the "ice" part of the "songs of fire and ice" (Dany being presumably the "fire"). Of course, now I am just imagining them in State uniforms, which is an... interesting image.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We need a new thread for the new season (coming soon, in about a month). I actually think the TV show breaking from the books will be good as there will be no such thing as spoilers to ruin the surprises.

    As for me, my family just finished binge-watching the first 5 seasons. Awesome! So, now I am caught up with all of you. First of all, I am sure everyone has seen the new trailer that hit the internet a few days ago.
    https://youtu.be/CuH3tJPiP-U

    The trailer makes a few things clear:
    1. Daenerys has been captured by the Dothraki. She is not being hailed as their ruler and anyone who thought she would was not watching the same show I was. Clearly Jorah and Daario will have to rescue her. I wonder if Jorah's fatal Greyscale will impact them?
    2. John Snow is dead... but it sure feels like Davos is dead set on defending his body and keeping it from being burnt. I'd make a large wager that Melisandre has told Davos that she can raise Jon Snow from the dead. As an aside, the Night's Watch oath says, "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death..." so if John is brought back he is free to do whatever he wants... including leading an army to take back Winterfell.
    3. Sansa is definitely alive, not that there is any surprise in that.
    4. "I choose violence" is one of the great lines EVER. The Zombie Mountain is going to smash The Faith soldiers. Lancell Lannister may not be long for this world.
    5. Bran is back and is seeing visions of the Night's King (how/why did he get that name? Why can't he just be the King of the White Walkers?).
    6. Everyone is buzzing that there appear to be a couple flashback scenes in the trailer that show a very young Ned Stark leading a raid on the Targaryans in an attempt to rescue his sister, Lyanna. As most of you know, the hot rumor is that Lyanna was pregnant and gave birth to a Targaryan heir before she died. Ned takes that child and raises him as his own, but hides his identity as the bastard John Snow.

    -Jason "I was reading the old threads... Stannis is not alive. Brienne killed him, I'm sure of it." Evans
    I'm regards to number 4 you are gonna be very wrong if I'm not mistaken. Very popular and accepted theory says otherwise. There is a Faith soldier we haven't seen or heard about yet.

    It's not a spoiler but yes Daenery's has been captured by the Dothraki and being taken to Vaes Dothrak (sp?) the holy city of the Dothraki were her brother had gold poured on his head. When a Khal dies his wife is supposed to go there and obviously she never did.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Stannis is most likely the flayed man in the fire at 0:23 of the trailer.

    If you freeze frame the trailer at 1:35 Ghost is lying next to the "lifeless" body of Jon Snow when Davos pulls the sword.
    That can't be Stannis though can it? He had just encountered Brienne and she has either A) just beheaded him or B) Taken him as her captive
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I'm regards to number 4 you are gonna be very wrong if I'm not mistaken. Very popular and accepted theory says otherwise. There is a Faith soldier we haven't seen or heard about yet.
    I subscribe to the theory you are referencing, but that does not mean Jason is wrong. There's the scene in the trailer (where Ser Robert Strong appears to be readying to resolve a confrontation with Lancel), and then there's probably going to be that other thing with that other person who shall remain nameless.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    That can't be Stannis though can it? He had just encountered Brienne and she has either A) just beheaded him or B) Taken him as her captive
    The editing of the trailer suggests it is Stannis, but that could be misdirection. I think it could be:
    -Stannis (whom Brienne could have killed without decapitating)
    -Theon (the trailer shows him apparently being surrounded by Bolton men in the woods at 1:08...it looks like Brienne swoops in at 1:10, but maybe she is only able to save Sansa)
    -Roose (if Ramsay feels threatened by the prospect of having a trueborn brother and takes matters into his own hands)
    -Ramsay himself (note that the imagery is of the Bolton sigil being torched, so maybe he gets his comeuppance; he also seems to like to flay and display his victims, and burning his handiwork is not really consistent with that)

    EDIT: I guess it could also just be one of Bran's visions, foreshadowing the fall of House Bolton rather than depicting an actual event.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 03-15-2016 at 07:28 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Something interesting I just noticed in the trailer...

    There is a shot of the High Sparrow talking about how even the weak can overthrow an empire. It seems like his usual rhetoric, but have a look at the image:



    He is speaking to someone wearing an awful lot of armor. Perhaps it is one of The Faith soliders, but that armor looks an awful lot like this armor, doesn't it?



    That, my friends, is The Mountain. And if you look at the image of the High Sparrow again, you will note that his head is tilted upwards as he speaks. He is either talking to a Faith soldier who is really tall and wearing extensive armor or he is talking to The Mountain. I'm pretty sure it is The Mountain and I'm pretty sure we are seeing the final few moments in the life of the High Sparrow. The Zombie Mountain is about to crush him.

    -Jason "just blind speculation on my part... I'm no expert in the books or anything to figure this out but does anyone think that am I wrong?" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Something interesting I just noticed in the trailer...

    There is a shot of the High Sparrow talking about how even the weak can overthrow an empire. It seems like his usual rhetoric, but have a look at the image:



    He is speaking to someone wearing an awful lot of armor. Perhaps it is one of The Faith soliders, but that armor looks an awful lot like this armor, doesn't it?



    That, my friends, is The Mountain. And if you look at the image of the High Sparrow again, you will note that his head is tilted upwards as he speaks. He is either talking to a Faith soldier who is really tall and wearing extensive armor or he is talking to The Mountain. I'm pretty sure it is The Mountain and I'm pretty sure we are seeing the final few moments in the life of the High Sparrow. The Zombie Mountain is about to crush him.

    -Jason "just blind speculation on my part... I'm no expert in the books or anything to figure this out but does anyone think that am I wrong?" Evans
    You're saying we're seeing his shoulder plate, not his helmet, right?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Something interesting I just noticed in the trailer...

    There is a shot of the High Sparrow talking about how even the weak can overthrow an empire. It seems like his usual rhetoric, but have a look at the image:



    He is speaking to someone wearing an awful lot of armor. Perhaps it is one of The Faith soliders, but that armor looks an awful lot like this armor, doesn't it?



    That, my friends, is The Mountain. And if you look at the image of the High Sparrow again, you will note that his head is tilted upwards as he speaks. He is either talking to a Faith soldier who is really tall and wearing extensive armor or he is talking to The Mountain. I'm pretty sure it is The Mountain and I'm pretty sure we are seeing the final few moments in the life of the High Sparrow. The Zombie Mountain is about to crush him.

    -Jason "just blind speculation on my part... I'm no expert in the books or anything to figure this out but does anyone think that am I wrong?" Evans
    You may be correct, but there is another theory out there which could also explain the video. Cersei has a trial by combat coming up where Robert Strong (Zombie Mountain) will be her champion. It is widely speculated that a well-known character who was presumed (but not confirmed) dead in the books will be the champion for the Faith. This champion is no Mountain, but he is also a pretty big dude. The High Sparrow could be speaking to this person.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

    "Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "just blind speculation on my part... I'm no expert in the books or anything to figure this out but does anyone think that am I wrong?" Evans
    I would bet he is talking to Cersei, who is standing next to the Mountain. A similar line (delivered differently) was in the Season 6 teaser regarding the threat to House Lannister:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6je-48zll4

    There were similar teasers for for the Houses of Stark and Targaryen:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkuSem8KJP4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2jYWtZ-JOc

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    You may be correct, but there is another theory out there which could also explain the video. Cersei has a trial by combat coming up where Robert Strong (Zombie Mountain) will be her champion. It is widely speculated that a well-known character who was presumed (but not confirmed) dead in the books will be the champion for the Faith. This champion is no Mountain, but he is also a pretty big dude. The High Sparrow could be speaking to this person.
    Yup, just furthers my belief of what I posted earlier.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  17. #17
    Finally... I am caught up on the show and the books and I can read and participate in these threads!

    The books put a LOT of emphasis on "wargs" that can flee their body and inhabit an animal or another body. Jon Snow's ability to do this has been definitely forshadowed, and would allow for his character to continue in Ghost (great name, if so) before picking up another two-legged body down the line. Or eventually a dragon, perhaps?

    Personally, I didn't miss Bran at all in season five. His storyline never engaged me. It is sort of like GRR just dragged him out into the wilderness purely so he could use his visions to fill in backstory.

    And is Rickon ever going to be a character?

    Season six is going to be a fun ride for all of us. Eager to get it started.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    I'm excited for what looks to be scenes flashing back to the fight at the Tower of Joy. I don't that they are for sure, but I can't think of anything else to plausibly explain the Targaeryn soldiers in the trailer. I don't follow much trailer speculation, so maybe there's a better theory out there.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Finally... I am caught up on the show and the books and I can read and participate in these threads!

    The books put a LOT of emphasis on "wargs" that can flee their body and inhabit an animal or another body. Jon Snow's ability to do this has been definitely forshadowed, and would allow for his character to continue in Ghost (great name, if so) before picking up another two-legged body down the line. Or eventually a dragon, perhaps?

    Personally, I didn't miss Bran at all in season five. His storyline never engaged me. It is sort of like GRR just dragged him out into the wilderness purely so he could use his visions to fill in backstory.

    And is Rickon ever going to be a character?

    Season six is going to be a fun ride for all of us. Eager to get it started.
    I think Bran will end up being important to the fight with the White Walkers. I think the tree has something to do with them.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Finally... I am caught up on the show and the books and I can read and participate in these threads!

    The books put a LOT of emphasis on "wargs" that can flee their body and inhabit an animal or another body. Jon Snow's ability to do this has been definitely forshadowed, and would allow for his character to continue in Ghost (great name, if so) before picking up another two-legged body down the line. Or eventually a dragon, perhaps?

    Personally, I didn't miss Bran at all in season five. His storyline never engaged me. It is sort of like GRR just dragged him out into the wilderness purely so he could use his visions to fill in backstory.

    And is Rickon ever going to be a character?

    Season six is going to be a fun ride for all of us. Eager to get it started.
    In a major sense? I don't think so, my theory is that when everything is said and done he will rule as warden and lord Stark of one of the major regions as will Sansa
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-27-2016, 02:42 PM
  2. Game of Thrones 2015 (TV Spoilers, No Book Spoliers!)
    By davekay1971 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 02-19-2016, 08:27 AM
  3. Game of Thrones 2014 - no book spoilers, please!
    By El_Diablo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM
  4. Buying Book Seven (NO SPOILERS)
    By Windsor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 03:51 AM
  5. Potter book spoilers (no spoilers in this post)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •