Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London/Dublin

London/Dublin

Okay, time to check with my DBR travel agents. Going to London and Dublin in late spring. Any must see or should miss things?

FWIW I have found DBR to be a great resource in my travels, foreign and domestic.

Thanks in advance!

I will stick to London only:

Sights:
    Tower of London tour
    Winston Churchill War Room: surprisingly interesting look at the bunker where he ran the war.
    The Tate Modern Museum
    The Globe Theater tour (next door to the Tate)
    Take in a show in the West End
    Make the short train ride to Windsor Castle. Much easier to watch the changing of the guard ceremony here rather than at Buckingham Palace!
    If you have kids (or are a kid at heart) you should check out the Harry Potter Studio Tour. You MUST buy tickets 1 month in advance. You cannot buy tix at the door!
    The London Eye Ferris Wheel is cool though expensive.
    Enjoy walking through all of the neighborhoods! (Soho, Mayfair, Marylebone, area around the White Cube gallery by the Tower Bridge, Notting Hill)

Restaurants:
    Nopi: Chef Ottolenghi's sit down restaurant in Soho! Don't miss! Awesome pre-theater meal!
    Amaya: Great Indian food
    Chiltern Firehouse: Best in London!

Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    I will stick to London only:

Sights:
    Tower of London tour
    Winston Churchill War Room: surprisingly interesting look at the bunker where he ran the war.
    The Tate Modern Museum
    The Globe Theater tour (next door to the Tate)
    Take in a show in the West End
    Make the short train ride to Windsor Castle. Much easier to watch the changing of the guard ceremony here rather than at Buckingham Palace!
    If you have kids (or are a kid at heart) you should check out the Harry Potter Studio Tour. You MUST buy tickets 1 month in advance. You cannot buy tix at the door!
    The London Eye Ferris Wheel is cool though expensive.
    Enjoy walking through all of the neighborhoods! (Soho, Mayfair, Marylebone, area around the White Cube gallery by the Tower Bridge, Notting Hill)

Restaurants:
    Nopi: Chef Ottolenghi's sit down restaurant in Soho! Don't miss! Awesome pre-theater meal!
    Amaya: Great Indian food
    Chiltern Firehouse: Best in London!

Have fun!!!
    Many thanks!

And I know there we're some links from Cavlaw and others from a few years ago too, which are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Okay, time to check with my DBR travel agents. Going to London and Dublin in late spring. Any must see or should miss things?

FWIW I have found DBR to be a great resource in my travels, foreign and domestic.

Thanks in advance!
    Agree with above. Used to be in London twice a month for a long period for my firm.

Loved the War rooms...(being a Churchillian at heart)

Here are some of my restaurants (Brits on the Board, please chime in):

Name Type Location Comment

Sale e Pepe Italian Knightsbridge
    9-15 Pavilion Road
    London SW1X 0HD
    United Kingdom
    Loud, fun I have been going there since the 80’s – loud, fun, good food
    Maitre d’ is Tony
    My waiter is Tomasso

Mango Tree Thai Belgravia
    46 Grosvenor Place, Belgravia, SW1X 7EQ
    Excellent food.

Pont de la Tour Continental
    36d Shad Thames London SE1 2YE
    A Conran Restaurant – near the Tower Bridge (across the Thames from the City)

Bibendum French
    Michelin House - 81 Fulham Road - London SW3 6RD
    In Michelin’s old British HQ. Landmark Building. (“Bibendum” is the name of the “Michelin man”)

Rules Classic British
    35 Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, London WC2E 7LB
    London’s oldest Restaurant

Le Cafe du Marche French Smithfields
    22 Charterhouse Square, Charterhouse Mews, Smithfield, London EC1M 6DX

St. Stephen's Green is my favorie park in the entire world. Beautiful, tranquil.
    If in season, take in a hurling match. Organized mayhem at its best.
    Trinity College.

Thanks in advance!
    Used to live there. Have you ever been? What sort of things interest you? Will you have spouse and/or kids in tow?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Used to live there. Have you ever been? What sort of things interest you? Will you have spouse and/or kids in tow?
    Never been to either.

Want to soak in the culture and history.

Mrs. OPK and TeenagePK's will also be coming.

Many of the museums are free. The National Gallery and Tate Modern are as I recall and are world-class.

The Jack the Ripper tours are fun if that's your thing.

Haven't been clubbing there in years, and most of the places I have been to are gone nowadays. But what a scene; every time I've ever walked out of a club in London it was daylight out. Have to believe Fabric is still the best.

Get an Oyster card when you arrive. Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket.

Then it's to the British Museum you go. Like the Smithsonian, you can spend days there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Then it's to the British Museum you go. Like the Smithsonian, you can spend days there.
    Thanks! Tried to send you sporkz but apparently I have been too promiscuous lately. Will double back on that when I can.

Never been to either.

Mrs. OPK and TeenagePK's will also be coming.
    I can only speak for London, and much of my knowledge may be dated.

For the most part, I'd agree with Fisheyes's recommendations - I would add these considerations:

1) I would skip the Tate* and substitute something like the British Museum, National Gallery, or National Portrait Gallery.
    2) I think the "Winston Churchill War Room" might be part of the Imperial War Museum group. Excellent.
    3) Do a little research on the neighborhoods you'd want to see - what you like and where you'll already be. King's Road in Chelsea used to be a bit of an eccentric scene that would definitely get the kids' attention.
    4) Consider visiting St. Paul's or Westminster Abbey. Even if you're not into old churches or cathedrals, there's a lot of history there, with the monarchy and so forth.
    5) Get a London tourbook and ask your kids for their votes/input.
    6) I can't imagine wasting time or money on the Eye.
    7) A non-DBR source of advice that I would trust is TripAdvisor. Takes some time to read the reviews but IMO it is well worth the investment.

* because w/r/t modern art, I share Tom Stoppard's opinion.

For the most part, I'd agree with Fisheyes's recommendations - I would add these considerations:

1) I would skip the Tate* and substitute something like the British Museum, National Gallery, or National Portrait Gallery.
    2) I think the "Winston Churchill War Room" might be part of the Imperial War Museum group. Excellent.
    3) Do a little research on the neighborhoods you'd want to see - what you like and where you'll already be. King's Road in Chelsea used to be a bit of an eccentric scene that would definitely get the kids' attention.
    4) Consider visiting St. Paul's or Westminster Abbey. Even if you're not into old churches or cathedrals, there's a lot of history there, with the monarchy and so forth.
    7) A non-DBR source of advice that I would trust is TripAdvisor. Takes some time to read the reviews but IMO it is well worth the investment.

Many thanks. And wholly agree on TripAdvisor (and Yelp to a lesser extent), good back-up sources to DBR.

Here is my current dilemma -- Stonehenge, yay or nay? I've always wanted to see it, but from what I understand it's a 2.5 hour ride to wander around it for 30 minutes, and then a long trip back.

1) I would skip the Tate
    Even though there's a basketball-related work on display?

Also, the room full of Rothkos is cool.

If you go to the National Gallery, read up on some of the works there beforehand, especially The Ambassadors.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Even though there's a basketball-related work on display?
    The best basketball exhibit is at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
    Next best is in Springfield, MA.

Also, the room full of Rothkos is cool.
    Tom Stoppard called. He said, "I rest my case!"

I liked the Tate AND Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Does that count as multitudes?

Many of the museums are free. The National Gallery and Tate Modern are as I recall and are world-class.

The Jack the Ripper tours are fun if that's your thing.

Haven't been clubbing there in years, and most of the places I have been to are gone nowadays. But what a scene; every time I've ever walked out of a club in London it was daylight out. Have to believe Fabric is still the best.

Get an Oyster card when you arrive. Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket.
    Re: Oyster card -- worth getting in advance, or just get at Heathrow?

Since most of the replies have been about London, my two favorite Dublin things are (1) the Guinness Storehouse, which lets you walk through at your own pace instead of the usual boring brewery guided tour, has a nice view on top, and has a certificate for learning how to pour a Guinness correctly that makes for a cute if touristy souvenir, and (2) Kilmainham Gaol, which is a guided tour through a historically important prison that basically also serves as a quick crash course on Irish independence.

London Overload

I travel to London for pleasure relatively frequently. You haven't disclosed your interests, so my suggestions reflect mine, which probably are skewed embarrassingly toward food and drink . . . But in addition to the previous posters' great suggestions, I'd offer:

1. Harrods - especially the food halls, even if only to look - amazing;
    2. Hedonism Wines on Davies Street in Mayfair - greatest retail wine shop in the world in a cool setting - again, just looking, as wines are greatest, most expensive in the world;
    3. high tea at Brown's, The Savoy, The Ritz, Claridge's, et al - definitely do this at least once in your life, surprisingly fun, you'll feel like a grownup for an hour or so;
    4. St. Paul's Cathedral - and make sure you climb all the way up to the outdoor observation area at the top of the dome;
    5. splurge and dine at the bar at Scott's Seafood in Mayfair and/or the bar at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in the theatre district - amazing food, even better people watching (and interaction);
    6. London theatre, of course;
    7. a. walk everywhere, except b. when you take the Underground, which you should figure out and use; except c. when you ride in the famous black cabs, in which case you must engage the drivers in conversation - they are experts in London history and geography, obviously, and uniformly decent.

Have a great time - IMO, London, one of the three great cities of the Western World.

Re: Oyster card -- worth getting in advance, or just get at Heathrow?
    Heathrow should be fine. As you probably have figured out, the tube goes to LHR and takes about an hour to get to "central" london, say the Piccadilly/Oxford Circi. The Heathrow Express train is faster but is a separate fare and kinda expensive. Cabs are hella expensive, but OK for short trips/far from Tube stops/times when Tube doesn't run.

I agree with others that London is fun for just walking around. A pocket map of central London (zone 1-2, in Tube parlance) is a good investment.

Heathrow should be fine. As you probably have figured out, the tube goes to LHR and takes about an hour to get to "central" london, say the Piccadilly/Oxford Circi. The Heathrow Express train is faster but is a separate fare and kinda expensive. Cabs are hella expensive, but OK for short trips/far from Tube stops/times when Tube doesn't run.

I agree with others that London is fun for just walking around. A pocket map of central London (zone 1-2, in Tube parlance) is a good investment.
    Thanks. Found some good map apps too but have to check with cell phone carrier for overseas fees. May or may not wire up family, except me for work. And probably daughter for sanity (hers and mine).