View Poll Results: Which should move on to the finals in our Greatests Sports Movie polls (multi-choice)

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Natural

42 76.36%
  • Remember The Titans

17 30.91%
  • White Men Can't Jump

8 14.55%
  • Cinderella Man

7 12.73%
  • Hoop Dreams

25 45.45%
  • Talladega Nights

3 5.45%
  • Slapshot

17 30.91%
  • Breaking Away

21 38.18%
  • Friday Night Lights

7 12.73%
  • Enter The Dragon

4 7.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Greatest Sports Movie Semi-Final poll #4 (multiple-choice)

This is the last of the semi-final polls. It features a strong field. I see 5 or 6 films about which I could make a good argument to move on to the finals. Vote wisely.

--Jason "multiple choice still, remember that!" Evans

Ok... I am gonna have to beat upon someone if Hoop Dreams does not make it thought. I am serious here!!!

--Jason "problem is, not enough of you have seen it-- everoyne who has is voting for it" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok... I am gonna have to beat upon someone if Hoop Dreams does not make it thought. I am serious here!!!

--Jason "problem is, not enough of you have seen it-- everyone who has is voting for it" Evans
    I think you're entering the realm of voter intimidation. We may have to move these polls to the PP board!

-jk

What a weak group compared to the last one.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

No Vote if No Viewing

I am one of those that hasn't seen Hoop Dreams - hence no vote.

I'm not familiar with Conderella Man - is that a sequel to Cinderella Man?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I am one of those that hasn't seen Hoop Dreams - hence no vote.

I'm not familiar with Conderella Man - is that a sequel to Cinderella Man?
    Rent it- NOW!! And then vote for it before the poll closes. Best basketball documentary ever... and it ain't even close.

Conderella Man is getting crushed in this poll. Ron Howard is demanding a recount and says I made a butterfly ballot with my typo.

--Jason "the I and the O are right next to each other-- forgive me!" Evans

Rent it- NOW!! And then vote for it before the poll closes. Best basketball documentary ever... and it ain't even close.

Conderella Man is getting crushed in this poll. Ron Howard is demanding a recount and says I made a butterfly ballot with my typo.

--Jason "the I and the O are right next to each other-- forgive me!" Evans
    Jason,

I think your typing of "Conderella" was a Freudian Slip caused by your deepest, ongoing thoughts of our current Secretary of State.

Admit it. Deep down, you want to be, "Condoleezza's Man."

-EarlJam

The Hoop Dreams vs Breaking Away battle for 2nd is the stuff of legends!!

--Jason "please vote for Hoop Dreams!!" Evans

I don't think this is a weak froup at all, Ozzie.

I voted Natural, Titans, Hoop Dreams, and I decided to throw one in for White Men... probably shouldn't have. I saw Hoop Dreams in the theater when I was 12(?) and it's one of the few VHS tapes I own. Remember the Titans is in my all-time top 5.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    "Cinderella Man" has fewer votes than "White Men Can't Jump"? "Caddyshack" advances and "Raging Bull" sits on the sidelines?

Do you people know a good film if it walks up and hits you on the head? Sheesh!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The Hoop Dreams vs Breaking Away battle for 2nd is the stuff of legends!!

--Jason "please vote for Hoop Dreams!!" Evans
    BOO JASON! This is voter intimidation! Tell me more about this push poll feature on the DBR! Bring back EarlJam's "Bean Poll!"

I saw both in the movies when they came out. Both are strong in different ways.

In terms of cinematography, I'll take Breaking Away anyday. That's not to say Hoop Dreams isn't solid. For when they came out, Breaking Away's Indiana scenery and cycling photography was classic work. More importantly, it won a best screenplay Oscar, and was nominated for 4 others, including music, direction, and best picture. Hoop Dreams was nominated for an Oscar in film editing; it did receive documentary awards other than the Oscar.

In terms of stars who came out of each, clearly Breaking Away has the edge (a young Dennis Quaid and Daniel Stern). On the other hand, Steve James' work after Hoop Dreams, has been solid in the documentary world, for the most part. His documentary genre work includes Stevie, Reel Paradise (strange), War Tapes, and is working on a death penalty documentary right now. Direction also includes Prefontaine and "Joe and Max."

I'm more interested in the Slap Shot battle for top four ... Paul Newman and the Hansons!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

This poll is closed... time for the finals!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    "Cinderella Man" has fewer votes than "White Men Can't Jump"? "Caddyshack" advances and "Raging Bull" sits on the sidelines?

Do you people know a good film if it walks up and hits you on the head? Sheesh!
    Apparently some of us don't. Caddyshack is a great movie, and it includes an unforgettable scene with Bill Murray and Chevy Chase at the height of their powers. Just because it's a comedy does not mean that it is not worthy of great movie status.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Apparently some of us don't. Caddyshack is a great movie, and it includes an unforgettable scene with Bill Murray and Chevy Chase at the height of their powers. Just because it's a comedy does not mean that it is not worthy of great movie status.
    <sigh> To each his own, I guess...

IMO, "Caddyshack" is a funny movie, but there are just two many very lame segments to make it great. The love story between Danny and Maggie is lame. Ted Knight is lame. Rodney Dangerfield is, for the most part, lame. Yes, Chase and Murray have some great moments, but that's just not enough to make it a great movie.

As for a great sports movie, well, the actual amount of golf in the movie is pretty small, and what's there isn't exactly all that amazing.

So, what you end up with is a funny kinda-sports movie with a couple of great comedians at or near the top of their game. It's definitely worth watching, but one of the greatest sports movies of all time? Not a chance.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”