Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    So now we've woken up and are within a score. Regardless of the outcome of the game, I feel like a bit of a schmuck for the above statement.
    Then get back onto the SNRUB!!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    So now we've woken up and are within a score. Regardless of the outcome of the game, I feel like a bit of a schmuck for the above statement.
    I relearned my lesson about throwing in the towel too early on Monday when I went to bed after the Pads scored two in the top of the 13th with Hoffman on the mound.

Nice punt return...here we go Duke!

That hurt!

Wow.

Another game we could've easily won. Again.

Thad Lewis missed a wide open Riley who could've walked in for a go ahead TD with about 8-9 mins left, and then THE SINGLE WORST noncall on a pass interference I have ever seen on our next drive. Just inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    I do not share the view that Lewis is head and shoulders above Asack. Therefore, it is not clear to me that Lewis has carried the team more so than what Asack would have done given the chance with a game plan designed to utilize his skills. I do not buy necessarily that we are building anything more than what would have been built with Asack with the right coaching. In fact, I think Asack would have been, better for ball control offense.

Duke has struggled due to conservative play calling, and a sub-par performance by Lewis. Because I think Asack is right there with Lewis, given Asack's 3 inch height advantage and significant running advantage, I say on such a day good creative coaching would have put Asack in there.
    Well, we can now add "football" to the list of things about which FDA is clueless. (Wait, I forgot, when you weren't busy swimming, doing kegstands, beating off Chapel Hill coeds with a stick and taking the bar exam for fun, you were supposedly an NFL linebacker in the making.)

Player GP Comp Att Yards TD Int Effic
    Thaddeus Lewis 5 88 144 1200 11 5 149.37
    Zack Asack 2 2 6 14 0 0 52.93
    Thad has proved plenty. The fact that you want him pulled is the best evidence of all that Roof is making the right choice. In fact, I'm considering a new motto: WWFDAND (What Would FDA Not Do)?
    Last edited by Jumbo; 10-06-2007 at 04:11 PM.

1st and Goal at the 8...another touchdown?

Arrrrrgh...a sack...

Touchdown!
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 10-06-2007 at 04:18 PM.

That was a ridiculous onside kick. You can't give the other team that much time to get the ball. I mean we kicked it past their 30.

Couldn't see it...

They didn't give up and fought to the end...

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    I do not share the view that Lewis is head and shoulders above Asack.
    Thad Lewis threw 4 touchdown passes today, on an off day.

Zack Asack has thrown 5 touchdown passes in his college career.

Another frustrating loss. We just can't seem to put together a complete 60 minutes of football. It appears Wake Forest dominated the 2nd Quarter when they outscored us 17-0, but it is really hard to know from the box score. We fought back in the 2nd half but couldn't get it done.
    Bob Green

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but after the game I asked TR about Bailey and his response was that he was "not optimistic." That's Roofspeak for out for awhile.

Most of the postgame focused on "one more play," "getting over the hump," and concepts familiar to teams that keep losing close games. True but still frustrating. I guess it's better than getting blown out and Duke was in blow-out territory and fought back to make it a nail-biter.

There seemed to be general agreement that Duke was flat early on, a difficult concept for me to grasp, considering that you only do this 11 or 12 times a year for four years and even less than that in front of the home folks.

Duke maintains that the on-side kick was executed the way Duke wanted. Tried to find the weak link.

Moore's pretty good. So is Riley. Seriously. Two absolutely marvelous college receivers. Austin Kelly's a keeper, btw.

Oh well. Next play.

A few things.

Bad offensive production in the 1st half may have been Dukes undoing in this game. It resulted in a lot of bad field position and a tired defense.

Thad Lewis was real inconsistent, Many passes were too high or too low. He has got potential to be great, but not this year.

Running game...running game?!? There were a couple of good runs but most running plays were dead upon hiking the ball.

Not sure why we would go for a 4th and 10 but not a 4th and 1.

Defense did okay, but had trouble with stops on 3rd down. Wakes short passing game was a problem most of the day.

The team showed a lot of heart. Not a lot of teams come back 20+ deficit at half time and come back to have a chance to win late in the 4th. Unfortunatley, almost doesn't count in the W/L column.

I was really perplexed at some of the offensive plays called. Wake had trouble defending the deeper routes (and they got away with a couple of pass interferences). The running plays were either up the middle or wierd sweeps, they didn't try to open any gaps.

This team has talent but I'm not sure if the coaching is where it needs to be.

Time to get a new coach

Hi,

The team has a LOT of heart. With some good coaching I really believe they can win some games. I think Roof has put down something of a foundation, now we need a coach and recruiter that can move the team to the next level. I believe there will be some good EXPERIENCED coaches out there to choose from next year. I would be stoked if Duke beat ND and then Weis was fired because of that game and Duke picked him up.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

The team has a LOT of heart. With some good coaching I really believe they can win some games. I think Roof has put down something of a foundation, now we need a coach and recruiter that can move the team to the next level. I believe there will be some good EXPERIENCED coaches out there to choose from next year. I would be stoked if Duke beat ND and then Weis was fired because of that game and Duke picked him up.

GO DUKE!

Blah, blah, blah. Do you think that Duke might be showing heart maybe -- just maybe -- BECAUSE of its current coach? Why don't you let him get through a full cycle of his classes, let his young QB develop into an experienced vet and see if this year's close losses become close wins next year before starting the cycle ALL OVER AGAIN?

Charlie Weis could have any number of NFL coaching jobs. I'm sure he'd love to come to Duke instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

GO DUKE!
    why would we want someone who may be the worst coach in all of college football? it is beyond me how someone with all of those resources and all of that talent not only can't win a game but has been destroyed in every game. i do think that if duke beats nd, then that will be the end of weis at nd. he might have a $30MM contract, but he will cost the school a lot more than $30MM over the life of it if he stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Blah, blah, blah. Do you think that Duke might be showing heart maybe -- just maybe -- BECAUSE of its current coach? Why don't you let him get through a full cycle of his classes, let his young QB develop into an experienced vet and see if this year's close losses become close wins next year before starting the cycle ALL OVER AGAIN?

Charlie Weis could have any number of NFL coaching jobs. I'm sure he'd love to come to Duke instead.
    that's what people were saying LAST year. this whole season feels like groundhog day -- the team is in nearly every game and someone finds a way to lose. roof has had more than enough opportunity to show at least an inkling of improvement but this team is exactly where it was last year and it also has the benefit of what may be the worst acc in history. hopefully some influential alums already have been peppering cowher with calls.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    this team is exactly where it was last year
    I get what you mean, but we do have the one win this year.

Duke-WFU

A fair amount has been posted already, I will try to add or reinforce a few key plays.

We could not stop 2nd/3rd and long in the 1st half. Wake converted 8/12. 2nd half was 0/6. Nice improvement/adjustments. Play calling was odd most of the first half. A few drops or bad throws.

Our 1st 2 possessions of the 2nd half were disasters. 2 picks=10 points deep in our territory. To be fair, the 2nd was a tip BUT we did not have a guy within about 5-7 yds of the ball. Stefanow missed a TD catch at the back of the end zone. Kelly missed a catch inside the WFU 5 yd line(tough play but catchable). We had 1st and goal at the WFU 6 and got nada one time. Thad badly overthrew a wide open Riley in the 4th(he was 5-7 yds behind the nearest WFU player). Kelly redeemed himself with a nice catch and run for the last TD(I think). The refs totally swallowed their whistles on a pass interference call(or at least call defensive holding) on a long pass inside Wake's 20 with us down by 5. Wake's only long run of the day, about a 55 yarder for the winning TD was a complete breakdown with our line/coverage outside the box.

Very few 'stupid' plays except one personal foul helping get Wake rolling on their 1st TD. Also 1 illegal substitution on one of our freshman as we were gaining some ground.

Overall, not bad. Coulda been VERY ugly, like 45-9 or worse but very respectable, especially our 2nd half effort. Shoulda won(where have I heard that before?) The call/location for the onside kick was not a bad one. Hell, I told Ozzie we should just kick it to the 10 yard line and make it a foot race to a bouncing ball as Wake had 10 guys within 20 yards of the kickoff and only 1 guy back at about their 40 yard line.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I get what you mean, but we do have the one win this year.
    my bad for overlooking that. if we just can beat nd, which i think is doable, this season will be considered a mild success and something to build on for next year.