Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Well that reversal happened quickly

Duke University said it has withdrawn a claim for about $10 million it made against the estate of oil man Aubrey McClendon...

“While submitting such claims is generally a routine procedure, in this case our action was misperceived as adversarial to the McClendon family, which was never the intention,” a Duke spokesman said in an email. “Aubrey was one of our most passionate and loyal graduates, always willing to support Duke when asked. We are deeply sorry for any pain this has caused the McClendon family.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/duke-wit...ate-1472509797

Would be interesting to know who was in the loop when the decision was made to file a claim
    How could it have been done without Brodhead's approval in regards to one of Duke's largest benefactors? And, if it was, that points to a different problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    There is NO WAY they filed this claim unless the spouse had already told them to pound sand. No way.
    Surely wrong but never in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It has been established that the family asked Duke to make the claim
    Couldn't surmise how you got this impression, but it was clearly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    How could it have been done without Brodhead's approval in regards to one of Duke's largest benefactors? And, if it was, that points to a different problem.
    This from today's WSJ article

People close to Duke told the Journal last week that news of the claim caught members of the university’s fundraising office by surprise

http://www.wsj.com/articles/duke-wit...ate-1472509797

If sources "close to" the fundraising office wanted the story out that they were not aware this was going to happen, either the fundraising office did not have a seat at the table when the Duke office of counsel submitted the filing of the claim to President Brodhead for approval or the claim was filed without that level of approval.

Either scenario is not a best practice for maintaining major donor relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post

Surely wrong but never in doubt.

Couldn't surmise how you got this impression, but it was clearly mistaken.
    You don't have to surmise...just look at post #14 on page 1 of this thread in which Duke VP Mike Schoenfeld said Duke was requested BY THE ESTATE to
    make the claim. If I can't believe Duke VP Mike Schoenfeld, who can I believe???

misunderstanding

Like others here, I'm engaged in some speculation, but I think I can say with some confidence that the notice referenced in Post #14 refers to a boilerplate notice to creditors that they have an opportunity, a deadline in fact, to file certain claims against an estate. It does not mean that a specific request by the family to Duke or any other particular claimant was made, or that there was any degree of the family's intent or consciousness as it relates to Duke. Just estate lawyers/administrators following the requirement to notify all possible claimants.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    You don't have to surmise...just look at post #14 on page 1 of this thread in which Duke VP Mike Schoenfeld said Duke was requested BY THE ESTATE to
    make the claim. If I can't believe Duke VP Mike Schoenfeld, who can I believe???
    My understanding from articles I read is that the estate is being administered by a third party, and, therefore, the routine notice to Duke and other creditors was sent out by the law firm handling the estate. There is no reason to presume the family had any knowledge or anything to do with it. When Duke received the notice, there should have been a discussion at the highest levels how to respond, which, in my opinion, should have been we'll take a pass and play a longer game. In any event, it appears the Keystone Cops were in charge.

Edit: Sorry, missed jaytoc's post. What he/she said.

This Yahoo Finance Podcast on the life and death of Aubrey McClendon popped up on my scroll this morning. Thought folks on this board may be interested. I have not listened to it but plan to.

Duke football needs a salesman like Aubrey McClendon for recruiting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Duke football needs a salesman like Aubrey McClendon for recruiting purposes.
    I'd prefer to go with one that's alive!

I'd prefer to go with one that's alive!
    ...for two weeks there's been no evidence of life on the existing squad and staff...