Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coaching Carousel

Not sure how much trouble Tubby is truly in at UK, but if he did go, who is the likely replacement?

Will Chris Collins consider the Illinois St job?

Will Mike Montgomery return to college ball next year?

I hope TA survives here at UM, he may need a couple wins this weekend to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Arbor Devil View Post
    Not sure how much trouble Tubby is truly in at UK, but if he did go, who is the likely replacement?
    I think UK fans would like to see John Pelphrey or Travis Ford get the job.

I'm a Tubby fan, but I think he deserves better (than UK fans) at this point. Maybe he should consider leaving.
    Last edited by Susan; 03-06-2007 at 09:08 PM.

duh, billy donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Arbor Devil View Post

Will Chris Collins consider the Illinois St job?

Will Mike Montgomery return to college ball next year?

I hope TA survives here at UM, he may need a couple wins this weekend to do so.
    What is the scoop on Amaker? I don't think that he deserves to get the ax, but I think that it will take more than a couple of wins in the Big 10 tournament. Plus if they beat Minnesota they get Ohio State.

I can't see how he can survive another year without getting to the NCAA tournament this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    duh, billy donovan
    I would be VERY surprised if Billy Donovan left Florida to coach Kentucky. Maybe if they threw enough money at him. Who knows? How much is he REALLY like Pitino?

I think Pelphrey is still the fans' choice. I also hear that UK might be interested in Calipari.
    Last edited by Susan; 03-06-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added info

TA seems to have lost the fans and local press as UM has truly underachieved the past two years. Attendance at Crisler is the lowest it's been in years. But he has been given slack by the AD to date b/c he's a class act and restored integrity to a previously scandal-ridden program. They have showed signs of life of late, and TA has a good recruiting class coming in, so perhaps he can stick around, especially if they can beat OSU as they should have done on Saturday. His wife has a prominent position at UM too so that can't hurt.

I for one will be rooting hard for Michigan this weekend! I'd love for Tommy to have one more year. I don't blame Michigan fans for being impatient for a turnaround in the program, though.

There is a sizeable part of the Kentucky fan base that thinks Billy Gillespie is a real possibility. Who knows?

I have a source in the UK athletic Dept. who mentioned Tom Izzo as the new UK coach...Don't be surprised if, after the season ends, Izzo is changing colors.

why would a coach like izzo or donovan want to move to kentucky? they're already in great spots at big-time programs, and honestly, if they have the same success at kentucky that they've had at their current programs (one national title, a few other alternating successful/disappointing years) they'll find themselves in the same spot as tubby smith. why would they want that?

they've put themselves in the same uncomfortable position as nc state last year, and as such they'd be very lucky to bring in a coach from a smaller program like gillespie.

Donovan could win the next 43 national titles, and Flawda would still be a football school.

Ky's got money, it's got boosters, it's still the sec and he could cheat just as easily there. He's probably the best recruiter there is right now, and ky has always struck me more as a "great recruiter" than a "great bench coach" place.

Donovan's a marketing type; he seems to like fame and attention. No shortage of either of those things running ky.

I don't really see it with izzo. A little older, a little more established there than dunnavan is at flawda. He seems the kind of guy who'd get offered it, but would turn it down.

Izzo has built a program

That would be a shock if he went to KY. One of the definitions of being a great coach is that you've built a program. Izzo is Michigan State basketball. I realize they had some success in the Magic years, but from now on people will link him to the school.

On Mike & Mike this morning Pitino said it would set the KY program back 10-15 years if they fired Tubby. He reasoned that no high-profile coach would want a job with such high (unreasonable?) expectations. Tubby has won and has, for the most part, graduated his kids. He just hasn't won the big one in a while.

RE: TA @ Michigan

Listening to a sports talk show this morning, this very subject came up. The consensus was that since T's wife is the Dean of Students (I think that's the position she occupies), that it would be very unlikely that he would forced out. Whether he chose to leave on his own would be another matter. Apparently his wife, like T, is very skilled, and the UM administration would not want to lose her, or him.

Chris Collins

I think Chris Collins will be considered for the Illinois State job, which is now open. ISU is in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois, Chris' home state. Doug Collins was a star at Illinois State; I believe the basketball court at Redbird Arena is name after Doug. Doug is considered the premier ISU player in their history.They have a nice arena that seats over 10,000, are in a strong conference, and could become another Creighton-type power with strong coaching and recruiting. It would be a good job for Chris, in my opinion.

If Collins or Wojo do leave this year or in the near future, I would like to see Jason Williams get consideration as a replacement. Thoughts?

GMR

JWill would seem like a good choice, and it does seem more likely now that his comeback may be over.

I have always been a big David Henderson fan but have no idea if he would consider or be considered. Anyone know what he has been up to since leaving Delaware?

I wouldn't see Izzo leaving as a big shock. He has done all he can do at MSU, it must be tough to recruit up there, and the Big 10 is and always will be a football conference. There has been talk on both sides of the fence, if Tubby leaves, he will be the #1 candidate.

if the big 10 is a football conference, what kind of conference is the sec? granted, kentucky is the one "basketball school" in the entire conference.

The SEC is the football conference to end all football conferences. It couldn't be more lopsided, despite the NCs in basketball of Arky, UK and UF.

UK is a BB school. Some MSU fans call themselves a baseball school, but FB really rules here. Those are the only exceptions I can see. It's way to the FB side.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    I have a source in the UK athletic Dept. who mentioned Tom Izzo as the new UK coach...Don't be surprised if, after the season ends, Izzo is changing colors.
    As a Spartan, I can tell you that Izzo is mentioned for at least a half dozen jobs every offseason. If he leaves MSU, it will likely be for the NBA. I would say Izzo departing MSU is pretty unlikely this year, as he has a big class coming next year. His departure this year would probably lose the program those committments-unlikely he'd leave now. Next year, or more likely 2 years, maybe so.

It's partially wishful thinking on my part, but I don't see him leaving for another college job.

If Chris Collins or Wojo did leave, Nate James would be first on my list to call. He has expressed interest in coaching, and he may be the best role players/teammates in Duke History.