Duke, baseball, & steroids: together again

Well, not exactly steroids. A new report claims that Duke grad Scott Schoeneweis received HGH while with the White Sox in 2003. Dismaying, although I don't imagine it'll have any bearing on the Duke program.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3045585

Impact on Duke Baseball

Wilson's comment may be true, unless Scott is interviewed and starts talking about his past - maybe he used at Duke and maybe he didn't. A sharp reported might link the allegations of steroid use at Duke while Scott was pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    Wilson's comment may be true, unless Scott is interviewed and starts talking about his past - maybe he used at Duke and maybe he didn't. A sharp reported might link the allegations of steroid use at Duke while Scott was pitching.
    If the story is true, they clearly didn't help his performance THIS year with my Mets (sob).

Even if he did use it, HGH wasn't banned by the MLB at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Even if he did use it, HGH wasn't banned by the MLB at the time.
    It's illegal without a doctor's prescription, is it not? If he didn't have one, I don't see why MLB's failure to have a ban overrides a Federal ban.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    It's illegal without a doctor's prescription, is it not? If he didn't have one, I don't see why MLB's failure to have a ban overrides a Federal ban.
    Furthermore, just because it wasn't against MLB rules doesn't mean it wasn't dishonorable and a smirch upon genuine competition. That's why I don't buy any of the "I didn't break the current rules" arguments with regard to performance-enhancing drugs.

prescription

My understanding from a report I read was that he did have a prescription. It was one of those prescriptions from a doctor that never sees you - you know the kind of doctor that prescribes HGH to any athlete that calls up and asks for it.... I think that doc is under investigation.

I don't have any confirmation of this, I think it was in the ESPN story I ready yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Furthermore, just because it wasn't against MLB rules doesn't mean it wasn't dishonorable and a smirch upon genuine competition. That's why I don't buy any of the "I didn't break the current rules" arguments with regard to performance-enhancing drugs.
    That just doesn't hold water. There are lists of banned substances, so why is it dishonorable to take something that isn't banned?

In athletics today guys are trying to get themselves into such ridiculous shape that they take a ton of vitamins, supplements, etc. So naturally you want to take the best LEGAL/Allowed product you can to get you in best shape possible.

Its so easy to look back and judge, but they weren't breaking any rules at the time. What if MLB decides to ban protein shakes? Are you going to go back and condemn 99% of baseball players? That's why we don't enact ex post facto or retroactive laws.