Jury Duty scam warning

From the ABA Journal. Serious stuff. Be very wary, y'all. This ain't the Nigerian bait.

Threatening robo calls

Calls of this type are quite common.

I got a similar call from "The IRS" telling me I would be arrested for unpaid taxes . . . pay up NOW . . . sheriff would be on the way. . . etc.

My response was to give them detailed instructions as to exactly where to place their Form 1040.

Also, FWIW, www.nomorobo.com has cut down on such types of incoming calls immensely!!

k

why don't i ever get these ? ugh...i would love to talk to these guys...

just fyi, my record for keeping the YOUR PC HAS BEEN DETECTED BY MICROSOFT agent on the phone is 1hr 20 min...by acting confused, and stupid about computer key-strokes and data management, i had him on the phone for almost 30 min before i had to "reveal" to him that i had a mac...man, what a satisfying day that was...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I've lived in essentially the same place for 44 years and have never been called for jury duty. I think I'd kind of like it.
    I did get a prelim notice that I was in the pool for arguably the most grotesque murder in decades here (uncle lures his niece
    via the internet, rapes and kills her) but a plea deal precluded a trial. That would've been horrific to sit through (as the defense
    attorney no doubt knew).

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Calls of this type are quite common.

I got a similar call from "The IRS" telling me I would be arrested for unpaid taxes . . . pay up NOW . . . sheriff would be on the way. . . etc.

My response was to give them detailed instructions as to exactly where to place their Form 1040.

Also, FWIW, www.nomorobo.com has cut down on such types of incoming calls immensely!!

k
    Thanks for the link - I clicked through. FYI, they can't be "used" with Verizon for land lines or ATT wireless yet. But the eventual ability would be a very helpful one.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've lived in essentially the same place for 44 years and have never been called for jury duty. I think I'd kind of like it.
    I did get a prelim notice that I was in the pool for arguably the most grotesque murder in decades here (uncle lures his niece
    via the internet, rapes and kills her) but a plea deal precluded a trial. That would've been horrific to sit through (as the defense
    attorney no doubt knew).
    They're probably not going to call any former spies to jury duty. Too much baggage, I suppose.

robo calls

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Thanks for the link - I clicked through. FYI, they can't be "used" with Verizon for land lines or ATT wireless yet. But the eventual ability would be a very helpful one.
    The "availability" does seem to be a nagging problem, but I'm sure that will diminish over time.

I have ATT U-Verse, and it's my understanding it also works with ATT landlines. Main thing is you need to have the (free!) ability for "simultaneous rings."

These days I receive plenty of "one-ringers" . . .and I just smile.

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    The "availability" does seem to be a nagging problem, but I'm sure that will diminish over time.

I have ATT U-Verse, and it's my understanding it also works with ATT landlines. Main thing is you need to have the (free!) ability for "simultaneous rings."

These days I receive plenty of "one-ringers" . . .and I just smile.

k
    Thanks for the tip, Kimist. I signed up last night and have already gotten a one-ring.

The biggest problem with the signup was waiting for my carrier (WAVE, 15 minutes) to answer its phone so the customer service rep could make the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Kimist. I signed up last night and have already gotten a one-ring.

The biggest problem with the signup was waiting for my carrier (WAVE, 15 minutes) to answer its phone so the customer service rep could make the connection.
    Ditto the thanks. I signed up with Comcast yesterday AM and it was a breeze. As far as I can tell, 2-3 calls were blocked yesterday.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016