Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    My List:

GT's Lethal Weapon 3
    State's Fire & Ice
    Wake in the 90's with Rodgers/Childress/Duncan

Currently, though, I will say I do enjoy watching Cat Barber. Dude gives MAXIMUM effort every play.

Without repeating a lot of the above (I'll admit to being surprised by a few inclusions), Horace and Harvey Grant at Clemson.

I'm drawing a blank on the name (Chris Hobbs, I think?) that was a kid in Chapel Hill Duke recruited who had some knee issues, ended up at Clemson. Always played like a beast against Duke.

Great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Karl Brown sighting! Later he tried out for a pro career... with the Denver Broncos.

I've been thinking a lot about that 1989-1990 Georgia Tech team ever since Amile Jefferson got injured. They got to the Final Four with six players on their roster (including two freshmen and two junior college transfers) getting 93% of the minutes. Granted, three of those six players averaged over 20 points a game each, and together they scored almost 78% of their team's points. But still, Six was Enough.

Bonus article here about the non-lethal three of Brown, Malcolm Mackey, and Johnny McNeil, written just before their 9-point semifinal loss to UNLV. Maybe a game that needs to be discussed more, considering how its outcome wildly affected Duke history.
    I stayed in the hotel with the Georgia Tech team in Denver for the Final Four that year. The fans were really nice and were pulling for Duke against Arkansas and UNLV.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Buck Williams
    Tim Duncan
    Glad to see Buck Williams here--that was the one I was planning to add. I also liked Greg Manning on that Md. team, though he wasn't as good a player, for sure.

Agree with many of the players mentioned so far. I have personal soft spots especially for Juan Dixon and Muggsy Bogues, and more recently I like Marcus Paige (can't help it, he really does seem like a good guy) and Cat Barber, who is just fun to watch.

David Thompson was, of course, an all-time great, but I want to throw in his sidekick, Monte Towe. A role model for the height-challenged!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Good call on Dennis Scott.
    Better quality video here.

That 1989-90 Georgia Tech team was just impossible not to like. They were fun to watch, and how could anyone not like Cremins?
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    The one guy I haven't seen mentioned yet that I would add is James Forrest from Georgia Tech as he was strong, athletic and I believe hit a buzzer beater in the NCAAT one year.
    Yep, he hit a buzzer-beater in the second round of the 1992 Tournament to upset George Raveling's Southern Cal team with Harold Miner.

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Sean Singletary is my favorite non-Duke ACC player of all time.

I really like this Buddy Hield kid too. He's hard to root against.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Sean Singletary is my favorite non-Duke ACC player of all time.
    I liked Singletary too, but not as much as I liked watching Sean Dockery shut him down on defense. Singletary was great, but Dock always seemed to give him trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    I liked Singletary too, but not as much as I liked watching Sean Dockery shut him down on defense. Singletary was great, but Dock always seemed to give him trouble.
    Sean Singletary hit a ridiculous, one-handed, falling-down-backwards shot to beat Duke in 2007. Nothing you can do after that but tip your cap to the man.

Wally Walker and Barry Parkhill of UVA. Vasco Emptimov and Kevin Salvadori of UNC.
    Met all these boys at one time or another and they were all good fellas. Still see Vasco frequently, he's on my Fedex Route in King.

I hadn't heard this story before. Muggsy wrestling J.R. Reid.

You know who won.

Nice to see this thread pop back up again! Anyone in the last five years really grab anyone's attention/interest?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I hadn't heard this story before. Muggsy wrestling J.R. Reid.

You know who won.
    Terrific. I love Mugsy.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Nice to see this thread pop back up again! Anyone in the last five years really grab anyone's attention/interest?
    This guy got my attention more than any other opposing player in the league last year. I detested him when we played Georgia Tech and I loved to watch what he did to other teams when Tech was playing someone else.

Do I really have to name him explicitly? Don't you know?

Coby White. Anyone who wanted to play for Duke but didn't get an offer, I tend to like.

UNC or MD guys? That's a "no" from me, dog. I am on board with Bobby Sura, Corchiani & Monroe, Julius Hodge, Mark Price & Dennis Scott, Bryant Stith, Mugsy & Rodney. Can't recall any faves from Clemson...

Malcolm Brogdon and DeAndre Hunter of UVa were good players and seemed like good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Malcolm Brogdon and DeAndre Hunter of UVa were good players and seemed like good guys.
    Agreed. I just read an article in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated (yes, I still read Sports Illustrated in print) about Brogdon and he seems like a really good guy. And I enjoyed watching him play at UVA.

A few from decades ago. David Thompson was best individual player I saw at Cameron. 6'4 from Shelby, NC. Game winning block of Bill Walton in NCAA game in Greensboro. I was impressed by Skip Wise from Clemson. Bob Sura from Florida State.Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress from Wake Forest. Bobby Jones from Charlotte may be one of the few from UNC that got my respect. As a kid seeing the Art Heyman senior team,I also thought Billy the Kid Cunningham was a great player.Respected John Lucas but thought he was kind of a jerk at Maryland. Played doubles against him in a Durham High/Hillside High tennis match.Tom McMillen of Maryland SI cover High School lived up to his hype.John Roche from South Carolina put on quite a show with Tom Owens against Duke who had DeVenzio and Randy Denton.Frank McGuire got a lot of boos.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Wally Walker and Barry Parkhill of UVA. Vasco Emptimov and Kevin Salvadori of UNC.
    Met all these boys at one time or another and they were all good fellas. Still see Vasco frequently, he's on my Fedex Route in King.
    I would add Wally Walker and Barry Parkhill to my earlier post. Saw them at either Duke Indoor Stadium or renamed Cameron. I did meet Tommy LeGarde and Mitch Kupchak working at The Record Bar in South Square. They were polite customers. Kupchak must be happy that Hornets may be making the Playoffs. Miles Bridges and LaMelo Ball may be a great foundation for Charlotte.