Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In case the young 'uns need a refresher

Bias scored 41 in that one, and the final score was Duke 80 -- Maryland 68. Bias was extremely strong and fast, yet also had a great shooting touch (better than 86% FT).
    On the season, Keith Gatlin was the only other Maryland player who averaged double figures in scoring.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...land/1986.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Joe Harris

Malcolm Brogdon

Jose Alvarado
    Really hated Alvarado. Also hated Vazquez, and really, any player that constantly woofed at other players. Sure they played hard, but they also constantly yapped.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Really hated Alvarado. Also hated Vazquez, and really, any player that constantly woofed at other players. Sure they played hard, but they also constantly yapped.
    Makes sense, you must have hated JJ and Laettner too, then

I didn’t care for Vasquez but that was more of a Maryland thing. Alvarado was entertaining to me, played with a bravado and swagger from Brooklyn that I think served himself and his team well. I’m fine with the yapping if you can back it up and he did. It doesn’t bother me that much. I didn’t think he crossed the line very much where I would consider him a poor sport like many considered Grayson and Laettner.

Makes sense, you must have hated JJ and Laettner too, then

I didn’t care for Vasquez but that was more of a Maryland thing. Alvarado was entertaining to me, played with a bravado and swagger from Brooklyn that I think served himself and his team well. I’m fine with the yapping if you can back it up and he did. It doesn’t bother me that much. I didn’t think he crossed the line very much where I would consider him a poor sport like many considered Grayson and Laettner.
    Didn't hate JJ and Laettner (since they were Duke players), but they weren't my favorites either.

I see some UVa guys mentioned on here. I mentioned Harris and Brogdon and some others mentioned Guy.

It leads me to ask, has UVa under Tony Bennett really had anyone that people hated or was simply unlikable, for any reason such as on court behavior, poor sportsmanship (tripping other players, whining to ref, fighting, trash talking, etc.)? I can’t think of any. They are about as clean in terms of player likability as you’ll find to me. Maybe Ty Jerome whined to the ref too much for some people? Maybe London Perrantes held his follow through on made jump shots too long? Those are probably a bit of a stretch and not egregious reasons to dislike someone. They have really had some good dudes over the years. In addition to the aforementioned Brogdon, Harris, Hunter, and Guy, other good guys I enjoyed watching were Justin Anderson, Devon Hall, Anthony Gill, Isaiah Wilkins, Jack Salt, Jay Huff, etc.

I see some UVa guys mentioned on here. I mentioned Harris and Brogdon and some others mentioned Guy.

It leads me to ask, has UVa under Tony Bennett really had anyone that people hated or was simply unlikable, for any reason such as on court behavior, poor sportsmanship (tripping other players, whining to ref, fighting, trash talking, etc.)? I can’t think of any. They are about as clean in terms of player likability as you’ll find to me. Maybe Ty Jerome whined to the ref too much for some people? Maybe London Perrantes held his follow through on made jump shots too long? Those are probably a bit of a stretch and not egregious reasons to dislike someone. They have really had some good dudes over the years. In addition to the aforementioned Brogdon, Harris, Hunter, and Guy, other good guys I enjoyed watching were Justin Anderson, Devon Hall, Anthony Gill, Isaiah Wilkins, Jack Salt, Jay Huff, etc.
    Ty Jerome, for sure.

Also didn't like Jay Huff because he woofed, hung on the rim after dunks, and was borderline dirty at times.

Didn't like Jack Salt because he got away with illegal screens constantly, but that's less his fault than the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Ty Jerome, for sure.

Also didn't like Jay Huff because he woofed, hung on the rim after dunks, and was borderline dirty at times.

Didn't like Jack Salt because he got away with illegal screens constantly, but that's less his fault than the refs.
    Yea, I could see the Jerome disdain. I personally thought he was a bit cocky and he flailed his arms at the ref too much for my taste when whistled for a foul. I wouldn’t say I disliked everything about his game and him but didn’t care for those behaviors. I liked Huff a lot for his skill set and versatility but he did talk trash from time to time after dunks. I think he dunked on Zion in 2019 at Cameron and then Zion returned the favor. Salt got away with a lot of illegal screens like you mentioned, I’ll admit that. They are a pesky bunch for sure defensively and the moving screens offensively kind of rub people the wrong way too.

Bob Sura
    Joe Smith
    Tim Duncan
    Mark Price

I think this thread is too long.

I'm liking fewer and fewer other team players as it goes along.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Going back to my glory days in the mid-90s, I always kind of liked Rusty LaRue of Wake. He played significant minutes on the basketball team, QB on the football team and I think he briefly played baseball. And he seemed like a good guy.

I really like Mr. Arnold Palmer, Wake Forest. Oh, wait he didn't play college basketball.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    UNC or MD guys? That's a "no" from me, dog. I am on board with Bobby Sura, Corchiani & Monroe, Julius Hodge, Mark Price & Dennis Scott, Bryant Stith, Mugsy & Rodney. Can't recall any faves from Clemson...
    I’d add Will Solomon to the list as a Clemson representative. Hell of a scorer on bad but entertaining and pesky Clemson teams.

I got to talk to him earlier that day (I was working in the athletic department) the guy was just amazing physically. Sad that this was only 5 months before he passed. I still believe he was the best college player Duke faced in my time there (yes, over Jordan). There's no way to be sure, but I'm betting that had he played in the NBA he'd be in the GOAT discussion.

On a separate note - I HATED Mark Price. Stole rookie of the year in 82-83 from Johnny D thanks to a 3 point arc that went inside the top of the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I got to talk to him earlier that day (I was working in the athletic department) the guy was just amazing physically. Sad that this was only 5 months before he passed. I still believe he was the best college player Duke faced in my time there (yes, over Jordan). There's no way to be sure, but I'm betting that had he played in the NBA he'd be in the GOAT discussion.

On a separate note - I HATED Mark Price. Stole rookie of the year in 82-83 from Johnny D thanks to a 3 point arc that went inside the top of the key.
    I remember the moment they mentioned his passing like it was yesterday.* So sad.

*Probably better - since I don’t remember yesterday.

Lenny Wirtz.

Triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post

You did not see David Thompson the original sky walker. Bias was possibly as great,but Thompson was only 6'4. I agree it was tragic loss. I wanted to add Charlie Davis of Wake Forest to my list as well as Walter Davis. Hate Carolina but there were a lot of great players in the Dean era. I did like Burleson Tim Stoddard and Monte Towe on that championship team. Wish NC State could get back to their glory days.

More NC State players I remember liking.State -- Rodney Monroe, Chris Corchiani, Sidney Lowe, the late Thurl Bailey, Julius Hodge
    Coaches #1 Lefty Driesell vaguely remember his Davidson stars. This guy would have gone to Duke if Bill Bradley and his Dad did not screw Vic Bubas, Fred Hetzel.Mike Malloy was another Davidson star. Coaches#2 Jim Valvano his violations were so minor compared to Gottfried or Sean Miller @ Arizona.
    Bruce Buckley I believe was Clay Buckley's brother,so I give him a pass.
    Photo of Jay and Clay
    http://www.bruceedwardsfoundation.or.../IMG_0775.html