Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What the Hell ESPN? "Is Grayson Allen the Next Hated White Duke Player?"

I guess they are just getting ready for the next 30 for 30: I Hate Grayson Allen.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ke-blue-devils

"Journalism"

To me, it signals one thing and one thing only..."We're BAAAAACK!"

Dana O'Neil obviously had the whole thing written for a while and was just waiting for an "incident".

There are pages on this topic in the post-Louisville game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    To me, it signals one thing and one thing only..."We're BAAAAACK!"

Dana O'Neil obviously had the whole thing written for a while and was just waiting for an "incident".

There are pages on this topic in the post-Louisville game thread.
    I agree.

We cannot control anyone's attitude other than our own. So,... let them hate. It only hurts the hater, and has no effect on the hated.

I think it'd be quite cool to see "I Still Hate Grayson" t-shirts being sold by the University of XYZ 20-30 years from now...

Now, as for the "@#$ you, Grayson" chants, (maybe) I could do without those.

Oh wait, that gang of imbecile fans now plays in the Big Integer Conference.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I agree.

We cannot control anyone's attitude other than our own. So,... let them hate. It only hurts the hater, and has no effect on the hated.
    I believe for the most part this is true but enough hatred can get to you. I believe JJ has said that everything he went through in college eventually affected his attitude and personality. To quote him “I watch video now of me in college, and I just think, What are you doing, man?”

While we may relish it, and some players too, Grayson doesn't strike me as wanting to be hated.

It's funny how this article wasn't released after Justise Winslow's flying karate kick lay-up last year, but Grayson's trip last night does trigger it. It's never the hated Duke player, it's the hated WHITE Duke player. Sad commentary.

Imagine the @#$%storm nationally if espn wrote that piece changing the name to some other player who happened to be Hispanic/Asian/African-American/Indian/Middle Eastern/Slavic/gay/etc. But, because it's Duke, I guess it's OK. Complete garbage.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think it'd be quite cool to see "I Still Hate Grayson" t-shirts being sold by the University of XYZ 20-30 years from now...

Now, as for the "@#$ you, Grayson" chants, (maybe) I could do without those.

Oh wait, that gang of imbecile fans now plays in the Big Integer Conference.
    Here I thought you were referring to the sissy blue group over at the dump on the hump!

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    It's funny how this article wasn't released after Justise Winslow's flying karate kick lay-up last year, but Grayson's trip last night does trigger it. It's never the hated Duke player, it's the hated WHITE Duke player. Sad commentary.
    Plus a million. Couldn't agree more. IS there a race component to the "hating"? Sure, for some people. But the media could be a little more responsible in not perpetuating things. Of course, the media could give two $#!ts about the "right" thing to do and will instead do whatever will max their clicks/traffic/profit margins.

Anybody seen the movie "Idiocracy"? That's where we're headed.

The headline is inflammatory, but it describes a real phenomenon; therefore, it really is journalism. Not writing about it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I said this in the post-game thread, but there's a population of young, white, male sports fans who really hate elite white players, especially when they play for Duke. The racial component can't be objectively measured, but I think we all subjectively see it. This probably won't be the last time this article is written.

We should probably call it out for the pitiful spectacle it is, even when writing about it. In order to do that, we have to recognize it's happening first.

-c

When the title of the article is "Is he the next hated white Duke player," there's an issue. The existence of the article itself annoys me, but when it's this blatantly putting race into the equation, I have a serious problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    The headline is inflammatory, but it describes a real phenomenon; therefore, it really is journalism. Not writing about it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I said this in the post-game thread, but there's a population of young, white, male sports fans who really hate elite white players, especially when they play for Duke. The racial component can't be objectively measured, but I think we all subjectively see it. This probably won't be the last time this article is written.

We should probably call it out for the pitiful spectacle it is, even when writing about it. In order to do that, we have to recognize it's happening first.

-c
    Unless ESPN invented it? I've heard nothing about Grayson being hated. So, no, that's not journalism.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I guess they are just getting ready for the next 30 for 30: I Hate Grayson Allen.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ke-blue-devils
    They spelled his name correctly. Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    They spelled his name correctly. Next play.
    Did anyone actually read the whole thing? Here's an excerpt:

Allen officially joined the club of hate that includes Laettner, Collins, Wojciechowski, Reddick, Paulus and Schreyer.
    Apparently, correct spelling of names is not required for front page articles on ESPN.

And since when were Paulus and Scheyer part of the "club of hate"? Neither of those guys fit any of the criteria here other than the plain fact that were white. I didn't even know the "club of hate" existed, thanks for fabricating that as well, ESPN. You might as well called it the "WHITE club of hate" while you're at it.

I'm truly disgusted.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-09-2016 at 02:52 PM.

I'm going to write a fluff piece on Aussie baller, Jack White, and bribe the editor to headline it, "Is SF Jack White the next white Duke player?"

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Did anyone actually read the whole thing? Here's an excerpt:

Apparently, correct spelling of names is not required for front page articles on ESPN.

And since when were Paulus and Scheyer part of the "club of hate"? Neither of those guys fit any of the criteria here other than the plain fact that were white. I didn't even know the "club of hate" existed, thanks for fabricating that as well, ESPN. You might as well called it the "WHITE club of hate" while you're at it.

I'm truly disgusted.
    Dude, if you didn't know Paulus was hated, you weren't paying very closer attention. Do a youtube search for Paulus videos and you will be appalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Dude, if you didn't know Paulus was hated, you weren't paying very closer attention. Do a youtube search for Paulus videos and you will be appalled.
    But Paulus did nothing to inspire this hate. He wasn't even that good outside of a decent freshman year. I was under the impression that the "club" which Laettner and Redick occupy had something to do with the fact that they were awesome players who actively contributed to people's dislike through certain actions. I can't think of any reason that Paulus and Scheyer even belong in this category because outside of simply being a white Duke player, they did nothing to inspire this hate.

Why isn't Gerald Henderson in this conversation? He basically elbowed the crap out of a guy's face. Far more egregious than foot tap to the chest or a trip. Oh that's right, he's BLACK.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-09-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Imagine the @#$%storm nationally if espn wrote that piece changing the name to some other player who happened to be Hispanic/Asian/African-American/Indian/Middle Eastern/Slavic/gay/etc. But, because it's Duke, I guess it's OK. Complete garbage.
    I don't think they think it's ok because it's "Duke," I think they think it's ok because it's "white." To put your point in perspective, think of any of the following:

• Is Josh Greenberg the Next Hated Jewish Duke Player?
    • Is Jose Rodriguez the Next Hated Hispanic Duke Player?
    • Is Amille Jefferson the Next Hated Black Duke Player?
    • Is Jim Smith the Next Hated Homosexual Duke Player?

Would any of these be met with anything other than complete outrage?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Umm OK folks, take a chill pill. ESPN didn't invent race. ESPN didn't invent Grayson hate. ESPN didn't invent the hated white Duke player. We know this even though we don't want to believe it. I just did a Google search for "hate Grayson Allen" and restricted time range from Jan 1, 2015 to Feb 6, 2015. I got 7 pages of hits, mostly articles or blogs. Repeat the same search for Justise Winslow, you get 4 hits. Tyus Jones, 3 pages of hits, but mostly tweets by (or referring to) Wisconsin fans.

This is a real phenomenon. Not talking about it doesn't help wish it away. I personally think the deadspin bros who engage in it should be outed and ridiculed. Much like the most obnoxious Bernie-bros and the gamergaters. I suspect there's significant overlap in these populations.

-c