Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 80, Ga Tech 71 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Good win. Brutal schedule coming up. Fight, Blue Devils, fight.

Congrats to Coach Capel on a well coached game. Huge road win! Get well soon Coach K and Amile!

Terrible ending to the first half. Total lack of awareness.

Great 3/4ths of a second half. We needed this one.

Ingram seemed quiet, Thornton is just too raw but has great promise, Grayson and Plumlee were beasts.

I hope Coach K is well.

I'm still baffled by that halfcourt call on Thornton. Feels great to get a win.

Tale of two halves. The man to man defense changed the energy in the second half. Thought the end game decision making from the guys was shaky, but happy with the win.

It was interesting, did anyone notice Grayson and Thornton having words? Appeared he got on Grayson for that last foul and Scheyer had to step in.
    Last edited by archand1; 02-02-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Proud of our guys and our coaches stepping up with Coach K out. I'm sure he's beaming right now.

Grayson kept us in the game with his 3s until we played (gasp!) very good man-to-man defense to win it after the zone got picked apart earlier in the game. (The Yellow Jackets had just played Syracuse in their previous game, so our zone must've been a breath of fresh air compared to Cuse's much, much better zone.)

We made a change to our man-to-man that I had been suggesting. Will discuss later.

I think the call on DT was carrying, not over and back. It's a similar signal from the ref. DT had some great moments and really showed the quickness at times ... Also showed the complete mental breakdown end of 1st and 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    I'm still baffled by that halfcourt call on Thornton. Feels great to get a win.
    I'll second this. We going back to fundamentals in the last minute? The swallow the whistle last minute?

Great second half (minus last few minutes).

Grayson is suffering JJ treatment his senior year. He gets grabbed and held incessantly and just doesn't get the call. It seemed to frustrate him down the stretch

Quote Originally Posted by archand1 View Post
    Tale of two halves. The man to man defense changed the energy in the second half. Thought the end game decision making from the guys was shaky, but happy with the win.

It was interesting, did anyone notice Grayson and Thornton having words? Appeared he got on Grayson for that last foul and Scheyer had to step in.
    I noticed. I hit rewind and watched in slow motion. Grayson said "would you please shut the f*** up" then gave him a big push in the chest. I didn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I think the call on DT was carrying, not over and back. It's a similar signal from the ref. DT had some great moments and really showed the quickness at times ... Also showed the complete mental breakdown end of 1st and 2nd half.
    yup, it was a carry and the right call, it gave him an advantage to get between the two defenders

Whew!

Hope Coach K gets better quick. Great job by Coach C in his place.

The game in some ways came down to the two teams' 3pt shooting stars. Ours (Allen) shot out of his mind from 3 (7-10), while theirs (Smith) had an off-night.

As expected, we really struggled defending their bigs in the first half. As not expected, switching to man really changed things. Credit to Plumlee and Jeter for handling the assignments against Jacobs and Mitchell. Neither was effective at all in the second half, which surprised me (those two guys are legit). It helped that their guards were awful. Georges-Hunt couldn't buy a shot, their marksman Adam Smith couldn't shoot tonight (aside from a two-minute stretch), and Jackson thought for some reason he could shoot 3s (0-6). They panicked and got away from their bread and butter, and it cost them.

Great second half for Thornton after a shaky first half.

Alen was amazing. He willed the team to the win.

Plumlee did some yeoman's work inside.

Kudos to Matt Jones for his defense on Georges-Hunt.

Survival. Hopefully Jeter and Thornton can build on this game.

Really liked what we saw from Ingram inside with rebounding, affecting shots, and a couple blocks

Gritty second half effort. Every road win in the ACC is beautiful.

Interesting stat: This was Georgia Tech's largest margin of defeat to this point in the ACC season.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I noticed. I hit rewind and watched in slow motion. Grayson said "would you please shut the f*** up" then gave him a big push in the chest. I didn't like that.
    I feel like Coach K made a mental note of that from his bed. Love the fire, but that's not what I want to see from a team leader.

Again, I think the strategy this season with the depleted roster is to zone up the first half and stay within striking distance.

GT shot 61% in the first half, many on easy layups. Duke stuck with the zone and only trailed by 4 at the half. But they also only had 2 guys with 2 fouls (Jeter was one of them, of course).

I liked the strategy that Capel used - play the reserve bigs more often and for longer stretches. Get MP3 extra rest to allow him to stay aggressive on the boards and on defense. And it paid off - Jeter had his best game in a while, fouls notwithstanding. (Though his first two were questionable)

The switch to man to man forced GT into tough shots, plus GT helped Duke out with some terrible shot selection. The bigs were negated by the guards who kept jacking up contested, off balance 3s.

Allen was sensational, but could have had a bigger game. Too bad the freedom of movement rules were, yet again, ignored off the ball. Of course, the refs saw the push off on Allen for the offensive foul. Eagle eyes, there. And then he manages to foul out on a flop by GT on another inbounds where he's getting mugged and then on the defense where GT initiated contact off the ball (where there was very little).

Ingram seemed out of sorts on offense. Not sure what was up with him. But he played solid D and rebounded pretty well.

Thornton played his best game in a while, but he made another boneheaded decision to shoot a long 2 point shot at the end of a half in transition where Duke could have had the final possession. He's gotta knock that off. He also got absolutely leveled on an illegal screen, where Jacobs was moving all the way into the contact and then gave a little extra on the screen - then had the nerve to stare at DT like he was some tough guy.

Found it odd that Luke only played 15 minutes while Jones and Ingram played 39. Given the short bench, you'd think we'd want to keep them a little fresher.

Jones looked like he hurt his hand at the end of the game on a rebounding scrum. Hopefully it was just a jammed finger.

Just glad they escaped with the win.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Big win for multiple reasons. Held own with the zone in Half 1 to prevent foul trouble and conserve some energy, then real Duke defense in Half 2 which Tech had no real answer for. (The last 3 minutes notwithstanding! Those 3 minutes were not Duke basketball and the refs were horrible).

The good:
    Grayson. Nothing more to say. The ridiculous made easy despite getting mugged off the ball all night long. He needed some help and finally got some late in the 2nd half which led to the 17 point lead vs Grayson keeping us up 4-5 by himself on offense. The kid is just sick.
    2nd half man to man was really good. Gone was the dunkfest/layup drill and it looked to me as though Ga Tech was like "oh, they aint in zone no more. what do we do? what do we do?" They only had 15 points in the 2nd half with like 5 minutes left. That is really good defense. Duke defense.
    The other really good thing was Chase getting real minutes and making small, but real contributions, and Vrank getting his first taste of ACC play. I am the resident "Terp'in Prime" so I have no trouble being irritated with how Chase and Vrank were reff'ed. I have been watching ACC hoops for 46 years and one constant remains. Freshman Bigs who are in development and non-stars (and sometimes potential stars, see: Shavlik Randolph) get reff'd so unfairly it's hard to watch. The first foul on Chase was on Grayson if there was a foul at all, the second and third foul calls on Chase were fouls that do not get called on say, a Hanswalk... and then the 3 second call on Vrank followed by the supposed "hold" were just laughable. The kid did not sniff the benefit of the doubt out there. Maybe, just maybe, he could have made a positive contribution if allowed to play by the same rules as the other bigs on the floor. Rant over.

Good coaching by Capel with great supporting help from Sir Badass and Scheyer. Well done there fellas. During the semi-meltdown at the end, he yelled at them during the TO "YOU HAVE TO FINISH!!"

On the semi, almost, meltdown... I have a love/hate relationship going with Derryck's play. My gosh. I love the kid and he is going to be a wonderful player, but he needs sooooo much improvement in the art of game management, court awareness, and leading as a PG. Sooo much improvement needed there. The really bad shot on our last possession of the 1st Half, when we should have been holding for the last shot, and I put partial blame for that on Matt who should not have been pushing it to begin with. There was a 2 second difference in the clocks. As a PG, you have to be aware of time and situation at all times. It is the first requirement of the job. Then during those final 3 minutes, he had the backcourt violation and I believe two live ball turnovers with bad passes. Again, sorry, but a PG shoulders more blame for those errors than any other player. They are the one who are supposed to be in control out there and helping their teammates not make those type mistakes. But, he is young, has a lot of "youngness" and inexperience around him right now, which for sure factors in. I love it when he attacks the basket under control, because when he does, man can the dude finish with the best of them. He gave us a lot of big baskets tonight doing that, and hit what I felt should have been the dagger 3 pointer. It was still a huge shot and gave us the extra breathing room we needed at the end, but their comeback still should not have even gotten started.

I was watching the game on pins and needles, nervous as heck, so very happy with the win. Overall a very solid performance on this journey without Amile. Hopefully they can carry that over into Saturday and get another win against NC State. We for sure need it.

Go Duke!!

Can't say enough about how good the team looks when Thornton is on. His quickness & penetration open up things on offense, and his defensive activity (especially his hands) gives our defense more bite up top (at least when we're playing man). Yes, Derryck ended the first and second halves pretty badly (was ready to throw the remote at the wall with the total lack of clock awareness at the end of the first), but I thought he was huge in the early part of each half, especially the second.

A bit shocked to see Jeter and Vrankovic get the burn they did, even for the tiny segments they did appear. Jeter -- very, very incrementally -- is starting to make progress, though giving up and-1s each time he was in indicates how much of a work in progress he remains. Nevertheless, I imagine the small rest Mason got helped, because he was hugely active on both ends of the floor.

Outstanding win on the road, especially considering how much Brandon struggled on offense and how little of a factor Matt was on that end as well. The rope a dope we play in the first halves of games with the zone remains a necessary evil to avoid foul trouble, but I liked the energy in the second half with the man to man. Hope we're able to see more of it in succeeding games.

Thought the switch to man to man defense was a big turning point. In the second half, GT started taking contested shots, which were missed, which led to bad shots, which were also missed. The Jacket guards generally did not play well tonight, other than some strong moments by Georges-Hunt in the first half and some late game scoring by Adam Smith.

As others have stated, this seemed like DT's best game. The second half offense was run well, with spacing and good distribution. There weren't many "one pass then drive" possessions. I think DT should get credit for that. He only had two turnovers (team only had ten, half of those in the last few minutes).

It seemed like the big second half run was made with a six man rotation, and that sixth man was Chase Jeter (not Luke Kennard). Luke with only fifteen minutes tonight.

Best wishes for a healthy recovery for Coach K. Nice job tonight, Coach Capel.
    Last edited by 91devil; 02-02-2016 at 11:45 PM.