Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NL To Add DH?

Why just the pitcher? There are plenty of position players out there who basically have no offensive ability. They all deserve to have designated hitters, too. For that matter, there are too many wild pitches and passed balls. Let's add a secondary catcher who can line up behind the first one to stop those. And we have too many ground balls getting through the infield. We should add a couple more infielders. And probably at least one more outfielder too - got to stop all those gaps. And pitchers really never should be counted on to have to keep throwing after they get a little tired. Let's just expand the rosters to hold 75 players each. We can't afford to let baseball remain the way it's been for over a hundred years - we can make changes to eliminate any slight area that might not be peak players at the top of their game.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Why just the pitcher? There are plenty of position players out there who basically have no offensive ability. They all deserve to have designated hitters, too. For that matter, there are too many wild pitches and passed balls. Let's add a secondary catcher who can line up behind the first one to stop those. And we have too many ground balls getting through the infield. We should add a couple more infielders. And probably at least one more outfielder too - got to stop all those gaps. And pitchers really never should be counted on to have to keep throwing after they get a little tired. Let's just expand the rosters to hold 75 players each. We can't afford to let baseball remain the way it's been for over a hundred years - we can make changes to eliminate any slight area that might not be peak players at the top of their game.
    You have got to be kidding!

We don't need such extreme changes - adding players - harumpff

Some more moderate changes might help though:

A pitcher's mound that recedes from the plate would encourage pitchers to hasten their deliveries (note: the mound would return toward the plate while the batter is out of the box, again incentivizing more haste by the batter).

A larger, harder ball with no stitches - more difficult to pitch, easier to hit, flies farther, bounces higher and farther. Florescent balls, gloves, bases, foul lines and the playing the Seventh inning under black lights would be a nice touch.

Allowing each team to purposely hit an opposing batter 2 or 3 times a game might add some strategy. Hitting a DH shouldn't count as a hit batsman.

It is amazing how little respect people have for America' Pastime.

Think we need a designated runner to run for a slow batter upon contact...

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Think we need a designated runner to run for a slow batter upon contact...
    In some elementary school kick ball games you were allowed to pick up the ball and punt it instead of kicking the pitch off the ground. Maybe we should let some guys take the ball from the catcher and take a swing fungo style.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    In some elementary school kick ball games you were allowed to pick up the ball and punt it instead of kicking the pitch off the ground. Maybe we should let some guys take the ball from the catcher and take a swing fungo style.
    Perhaps Tee-ball?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Perhaps Tee-ball?
    Well it is professional baseball, we need some minimum level of ability with the bat right? Just not for pitchers apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You have got to be kidding!

We don't need such extreme changes - adding players - harumpff

Some more moderate changes might help though:

A pitcher's mound that recedes from the plate would encourage pitchers to hasten their deliveries (note: the mound would return toward the plate while the batter is out of the box, again incentivizing more haste by the batter).

A larger, harder ball with no stitches - more difficult to pitch, easier to hit, flies farther, bounces higher and farther. Florescent balls, gloves, bases, foul lines and the playing the Seventh inning under black lights would be a nice touch.

Allowing each team to purposely hit an opposing batter 2 or 3 times a game might add some strategy. Hitting a DH shouldn't count as a hit batsman.

It is amazing how little respect people have for America' Pastime.
    "A larger, harder ball with no stitches"?

Belicheat would still find a way to make it softer...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Having different rules in the two leagues is stupid and gives AL teams an unfair advantage in head-to-head play. It's time for the NL to bite the bullet and adopt it. For all the pearl-clutching over the double switch, (a) double switches are not that interesting, and (b) they don't even happen all that often anymore since most relief pitchers don't stay in the game for multiple innings.

With most teams carrying 12 and sometimes 13 pitchers, benches aren't really deep enough to do anything but pinch-hit for the pitcher anyway. Adopting the DH would allow managers more flexibility to pinch-hit situationally for position players.

Either the NL should adopt the DH or both leagues should just switch to 8-man lineups and have one position player designated not to hit. (Would never happen, but would serve a similar purpose.)

I would say it's time for a change in the DH rules. So I'll propose we outlaw it altogether in both leagues. No more DH. A ball player is a ball player.

Nothing says exciting and interesting baseball like pitchers at bat!

Pitchers, as a whole in the NL bat what, 0.130?

I'm sure all of you complain every time a jump shot from behind the arc counts for three.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

I'm sure all of you complain every time a jump shot from behind the arc counts for three.
    And what about that horrible dunk shot?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    And what about that horrible dunk shot?
    Who thought dribbling the ball was a good idea? You should just pass it up the court.

(Hope my memory of the early years of basketball/peach basket on a pole are correct.)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    (Hope my memory of the early years of basketball/peach basket on a pole are correct.)
    Come now DinK! Seriously, don't give away all your mystery!

I'm not going to tease you NL devotees. I'm sorry for your anxieties but believe me when I say, I'd muuuuuuch rather watch a ball sail out of the outfield than take a nap while the pitcher approaches the plate. Although it will force me to step lively on the beer runs, true.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

If in inter-league play the National League team doesn't want to use the DH, fine. Don't use it. As long as the AL team can use it in all games, even when playing in the NL park. I'm tired of seeing my pitchers getting hurt running the bases.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If in inter-league play the National League team doesn't want to use the DH, fine. Don't use it. As long as the AL team can use it in all games, even when playing in the NL park. I'm tired of seeing my pitchers getting hurt running the bases.
    Clearly, all the more reason for a designated runner. And perhaps a designated bubble gum chewer as well. Wouldn't want a player's filling to come out, would we?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    At least they can run. A lot of these DH's stopped actually running years ago.

MLB Commish Rob Manfred has weighed in on the issue, and it would appear that most of the reaction to date has been overreaction. In Manfred's words, given the chance at a "do-over" on anything from his first months in office,
    I would have been way more negative about the prospect of the DH coming to the National League in my press conference last week.
    So while the DH is most likely headed to the NL eventually, it's almost certainly not coming for 2017, and as Manfred points out,
    I think the vast majority of clubs in the National League want to stay where they are.
    http://deadspin.com/the-national-lea...ile-1755150183

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    MLB Commish Rob Manfred has weighed in on the issue, and it would appear that most of the reaction to date has been overreaction. In Manfred's words, given the chance at a "do-over" on anything from his first months in office,

So while the DH is most likely headed to the NL eventually, it's almost certainly not coming for 2017, and as Manfred points out,

http://deadspin.com/the-national-lea...ile-1755150183
    What the NL needs more is probably a DT (designated team) instead of the Braves. Sooner rather than later .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    What the NL needs more is probably a DT (designated team) instead of the Braves. Sooner rather than later .
    DD, already have one. My Mets. (Chipper seemed to own us, anyhow...).

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

Seriously. Baseball is the only major sport in America that is so regressive in nature. Adding the DH to the NL is not nearly the catastrophe that some suggest. The marginal loss in strategy (and it really is marginal) will probably be offset by the improvement in hitters faced and pace of play. Not to mention the whole "having all teams play by the same rules" issue.