Thread: Justin Robinson

Justin Robinson

I've asked this in a couple of threads to no avail. Anyone know anything about Justin Robinson besides his physical stats and that he's at Duke? How is he progessing? Is he going to play at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I've asked this in a couple of threads to no avail. Anyone know anything about Justin Robinson besides his physical stats and that he's at Duke? How is he progessing? Is he going to play at some point?
    He was not a prospect on anyone's radar, despite his pedigree. The general consensus was that this was a good student with a famous father taking advantage to get a good education. I doubt he plays this year and will besurprised if he is more than a practice player at Duke.

He's redshirting this year, per Coach K earlier in the season. Not sure how Justin's progressing, as practice reports are pretty scarce once the season begins.

(If you're thinking his redshirt should be pulled, I'm sure the coaches have considered all options.)

I'm just hoping he has a growth spurt and hits 7 feet like his dad.

Thanks much. I had hoped after they gave him a scholarship that it was a recognition of potential...giving a scholarship just because of his father's fame seemed far fetched...hopefully he'll turn into a in-game contributor

Thanks much. I had hoped after they gave him a scholarship that it was a recognition of potential...giving a scholarship just because of his father's fame seemed far fetched...hopefully he'll turn into a in-game contributor
    I was not aware that he was given a scholarship. Could someone verify that, please.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I was not aware that he was given a scholarship. Could someone verify that, please.

ricks
    I saw it on several sites...but this is my ref:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/5/7/8564239/justin-robinson-moves-from-preferred-walk-on-to-scholarship-recipient

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post

ricks
    I saw it on several sites...but this is my ref:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ship-recipient
    Walk-ons are often given scholarships if there is one available because not all 13 are being used. It's with the acknowledgement that it may vary year-to-year. Same thing happened with Todd Zafirovski.

"[Coach K] called last night," Robinson said. "He pretty much just told me that he can't promise a scholarship every year, but for next year they will give me a scholarship."

A scholarship is just an acknowledgement of the value they bring to the team, which walk-ons certainly do. It doesn't mean they've exhibited the potential to play in games.

There were rumors back in November that Robinson was progressing well enough that he might not redshirt this season but I've heard no more about him since and, obviously, he's redshirting.

Justin Robinson has already played in one Duke game this season...for the Hokies. Different player with same name. Boy was that confusing!

Not that I think he should be playing this year, but I actually was pleasantly surprised by how Justin looked in the Blue-White scrimmage. [Insert Horvathian Humor]

He didn't seem too overmatched and I thought he actually blocked one or two of Ingram's shots. Not that you can take too much from that, but I think it will be interesting to follow his development as he gets stronger. Any in-game contribution he makes for Duke will be a huge bonus. He already provides value in practice depth, and provides a safeguard against the kind of shallowness that we've seen this year and last.

If you'll recall, last year after we lost Semi and Sheed, we didn't have enough serviceable players to even scrimmage 5v5. This year, we're still feeling the effect of those transfers along with losing one or two players to the NBA earlier than anticipated. But going forward, I think having Justin and Vrank will be nice safeguards against that and at the very least give Duke some practice depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Justin Robinson has already played in one Duke game this season...for the Hokies. Different player with same name. Boy was that confusing!
    This happens: While both coaching in the ACC, both Bill Fosters were staying at the same hotel when a recruit left a message with the front desk saying he'd play for him - and both were recruiting him.

(Sorry, don't remember the recruit, but it was our Bill - maybe Oly or Sumner can help.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    This happens: While both coaching in the ACC, both Bill Fosters were staying at the same hotel when a recruit left a message with the front desk saying he'd play for him - and both were recruiting him.

(Sorry, don't remember the recruit, but it was our Bill - maybe Oly or Sumner can help.)

-jk
    Might have been Dennard.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    I've never heard tis story an frankly, it doesn't sound very likely to me ... a kid announces his decision to the coach by leaving a note at the front desk of a hotel? A hotel that two coaches are staying in?

As Jim says, both Duke and Clemson were major players for Kenny Dennard and Kenny told me that he made his choice while at Clemson for his official visit -- at the Duke at Clemson football game in 1976. That was the game where Vince Fusco kicked six field goals to tie Clemson 18-18. The last kick at the gun is still the school record -- 57 yards. It hit the crossbar and bounced over.

Dennard said that when he realized he was cheering for Duke, that's when he knew he was going to Duke.