Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Notre Dame (1/16/16, 2 pm, ESPN2) Pre Game and In Game Thread

Duke looks to get back to winning when they host Notre Dame on Saturday afternoon. Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

After the Clemson game, it goes without saying that any non-BC game is losable without Jefferson. But this is a game we should win. Notre Dame is just as short on players, and less talented. They are probably the worst defense in the conference. They can score, but they stop nobody.

Their lineup:

C - Zach Auguste is an All-ACC guy. He is sort of like Devin Thomas (Wake) only less aggressive and less moody. It is another tough assignment for Plumlee. Foul trouble can be a problem for him, and the backups are just low-skilled filler.

PF - Bonzi Colson is a miniature, low-skilled version of Elton Brand. He is a bull. Short (6'5") but really strong and long-armed. What he lacks in skill he tries to make up for with hustle, brute force, and athleticism. Ideally he is a third big coming in for energy, but the Irish are too thin for that this year.

Wings: Beachem and Vasturia can shoot and are not ashamed to do so. Can't leave either open because odds are they won't miss. We are getting to the iron men of the team, as both guys play well over 30 mpg in conference play. They are fairly tall, but not overly explosive athletically. Just good, consistent, system guys.

PG: Jackson is a handful. He is a little like Ulis at UK: small, lightning quick, surprisingly strong. The dude makes it all go offensively. He shoots, drives, dishes, and does all well. He is their most important player, because he is their only playmaker/ballhandler. Vasturia and Farrell will fill in as necessary, but they are just caretakers like Matt Jones in that role.

Bench: nonexistent. I am mostly serious here. They may play four guys (Torres and Burgett up front, Ryan as a SF/PF, and Farrell as a backup guard), but all are just filler. If not for foul trouble or fatigue, Brey would play his starters all 40 minutes. As is, he may play Jackson, Vasturia, and Beachem all 40. Colson and Auguste will likely earn time on the bench with fouls. ND can't afford foul trouble, especially at PG, but really anywhere.

Ultimately this should be a scorefest. We should win, if we can defend even a little and don't settle for (and miss) 3s. They are just SOOO bad on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Notre Dame is just as short on players, and less talented. They are probably the worst defense in the conference. They can score, but they stop nobody.

Their lineup:

C - Zach Auguste is an All-ACC guy. He is sort of like Devin Thomas (Wake) only less aggressive and less moody. It is another tough assignment for Plumlee. Foul trouble can be a problem for him, and the backups are just low-skilled filler.

PF - Bonzi Colson is a miniature, low-skilled version of Elton Brand. He is a bull. Short (6'5") but really strong and long-armed. What he lacks in skill he tries to make up for with hustle, brute force, and athleticism. Ideally he is a third big coming in for energy, but the Irish are too thin for that this year.

Wings: Beachem and Vasturia can shoot and are not ashamed to do so. Can't leave either open because odds are they won't miss. We are getting to the iron men of the team, as both guys play well over 30 mpg in conference play. They are fairly tall, but not overly explosive athletically. Just good, consistent, system guys.

PG: Jackson is a handful. He is a little like Ulis at UK: small, lightning quick, surprisingly strong. The dude makes it all go offensively. He shoots, drives, dishes, and does all well. He is their most important player, because he is their only playmaker/ballhandler. Vasturia and Farrell will fill in as necessary, but they are just caretakers like Matt Jones in that role. [SNIP]

Ultimately this should be a scorefest. We should win, if we can defend even a little and don't settle for (and miss) 3s. They are just SOOO bad on that side of the ball.
    Yeah, I'm sure K will have our team very focused and looking to make a strong statement after our loss. I've only seen a little of Notre Dame's play this season (darn having to work for a living!), but so far very underwhelming. They've mostly struck me as a lite version of last year's team--fewer calories, and less filling.

However, we will undoubtedly get their best shot, and we should recall Colson's hanging 17 points on us off the bench in the ACC tournament. I think that neither Beachem not Vasturia had great games against us last year (I might be forgetting a performance, but I really don't believe so), but Vasturia in particular is plenty capable of lighting it up if it he gets going.

This will be a good test of, and chance to tune up, our defense, in a game that we should be able to win on offense alone; the best result is, of course, that we do not have to win it on offense alone. Should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ...C - Zach Auguste is an All-ACC guy...
    Yep. Auguste makes me nervous. I don't want him heating up, plus he's a foul drawing machine.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure K will have our team very focused and looking to make a strong statement after our loss. I've only seen a little of Notre Dame's play this season (darn having to work for a living!), but so far very underwhelming. They've mostly struck me as a lite version of last year's team--fewer calories, and less filling.

However, we will undoubtedly get their best shot, and we should recall Colson's hanging 17 points on us off the bench in the ACC tournament. I think that neither Beachem not Vasturia had great games against us last year (I might be forgetting a performance, but I really don't believe so), but Vasturia in particular is plenty capable of lighting it up if it he gets going.

This will be a good test of, and chance to tune up, our defense, in a game that we should be able to win on offense alone; the best result is, of course, that we do not have to win it on offense alone. Should be fun!
    Definitely a light version of their team last year. It is basically the exact same team as last year... except they lost their two best players and replaced them with non-entities. That is of course an oversimplification. Auguste and Jackson and to a lesser degree Colson have stepped into bigger roles. But last year Vasturia and Colson were the bench guys and Connaughton and Grant were All-ACC (Grant might have been All-American) and NBA picks. They took a big step backwards at PF and at SG, and also a big step backwards in role player backups.

Where they were a borderline top-10 team last year, I think this group might not make the tournament.

Bump

my brother and I are leaving in a few, going to stand with the Crazies... Game starts in 4 hours... Let's Go DUKE!!

Based on the stats, should be a shootout- ND with the #2 offense and Duke #4.

ND defense is near the bottom (251 out of 366?) which should mean our defense will be the difference in the game.

Let's Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    ...our defense will be the difference in the game.
    I agree with you but will add staying out of foul trouble is critical so the defense can stay aggressive.
    Bob Green

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Kennard starting over Derryck

Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Notre Dame, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/notre-dame...stats-01162016

I wish they would turn the PA volume up, I still have almost 25% of my hearing left after that rendition of Don't Stop Believing...

Is anyone else having trouble with ESPN2? I am getting sound but no picture.

Is anyone else confused that we are shooting the lights out and only leading 21-20?

Feels very dangerous.

Obi sighting at 11:51

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is anyone else confused that we are shooting the lights out and only leading 21-20?

Feels very dangerous.
    Can't stop them

I would like to see the ball in Kennard's hands a little (to a lot) more. Vision, moves, handle, hang, etc. As Capel said, he either shoots it or moves it.

But he missed a free throw, which is unforgivable.

ETA: And he's nearly as smart on D as on O.

We have been incapable of getting stops on D. Very good looking on O, as evidenced by 50 1st half points. Good move to get Ingram out with 2 fouls and not risk a stupid, costly foul. Perhaps our inability to stop them is related to our desire to not get in foul trouble.

Was that coach speak or is Brey serious whining about officials? I realize I'm not a completely unbiased observer but I feel this crew has done a pretty good job.

Terrible team defense. Everyone playing scared. Then stupid reaching fouls. No offense in 2nd half, 1pt in 3mins. 10 pt swing in this half already