Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

2016 MBB Coaching Carousel

It got an interesting early start already with UNLV firing Dave Rice. This job is intriguing with all of the local recruiting connections.

With Rice, I wonder if he ever had any reasonable shots to leave, especially the Arizona State job over the summer.

Is it time for one of the armchair coaches of DBR to try coaching for real?

Posted today from the Office of Human Resources of the University of Wisconsin in Madison: Position Vacancy Listing #85669, Head Men's Basketball Coach.

The job requires a bachelor's degree but does not require prior experience. "Minimum of 5 years of successful collegiate basketball coaching experience preferred. Division I head coaching experience is also preferred." I would think 5 years on DBR is at least as good as that, if not better. Enough of you have experience with I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing and moaning in the postgame thread, which is really all you want in a Wisconsin coach.

Salary starts at $300,000, but may be more based on qualification, which I take to mean the number of sporks earned on DBR.

You have only 6 days to apply. "To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. CST, March 3, 2016." Interestingly, the anticipated start date is March 8, which seems early.

P.S. Does Hubert Davis read DBR? Someone forward this link to him.

I'm all over this. thanks, brevity.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Posted today from the Office of Human Resources of the University of Wisconsin in Madison: Position Vacancy Listing #85669, Head Men's Basketball Coach.

The job requires a bachelor's degree but does not require prior experience. "Minimum of 5 years of successful collegiate basketball coaching experience preferred. Division I head coaching experience is also preferred." I would think 5 years on DBR is at least as good as that, if not better. Enough of you have experience with I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing and moaning in the postgame thread, which is really all you want in a Wisconsin coach.

Salary starts at $300,000, but may be more based on qualification, which I take to mean the number of sporks earned on DBR.

You have only 6 days to apply. "To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. CST, March 3, 2016." Interestingly, the anticipated start date is March 8, which seems early.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle Wisconsin winters.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle Wisconsin winters.
    That's good to know and I hope they won't badger you about the opportunity.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I have to think LSU may be coming open, it's not very often that the potential #1 pick in the draft doesn't play in the NCAAs, although not even Steph Curry could get Davidson to the NCAAs in his final year...granted he almost took them to the FF in his sophomore year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I have to think LSU may be coming open, it's not very often that the potential #1 pick in the draft doesn't play in the NCAAs, although not even Steph Curry could get Davidson to the NCAAs in his final year...granted he almost took them to the FF in his sophomore year.
    I have to imagine that every coach of a blue blood program will point to LSU as a reason why top recruits shouldn't go to a secondary/tertiary option.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I have to imagine that every coach of a blue blood program will point to LSU as a reason why top recruits shouldn't go to a secondary/tertiary option.
    Indeed - I should have credited the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast where I heard this discussion happening - you can even get some Grayson tripping talk:
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...g-tripping-etc

HAHA! Can't spork you.

Every part of this post is incredible.

But most especially the bolded parts.

- Chillin

I hope nobody wasted any time on the Wisconsin application since they so quickly hired the interim guy. Insert Bo Ryan joke here.

We are starting to get a few more openings along with ones like North Carolina A&T and Arkansas State that also opened up in season. Drexel seems like it could be a reasonable job for someone and UMBC is also open.

Locally to me, Santa Clara is now open. They seem to have had reasonable-ish talent (if not Steve Nash-like) for their level in recent years so the number of losing seasons that Kerry Keating had would seem out of place. He actually won a CIT and CBI tournament each, which I think makes his overall record look better than it might be otherwise. I am not sure that the program is ever set up to reach St. Mary's levels, but they could definitely be a .500 type program that makes a minor postseason tournament regularly. Also, he looks ways older than his age and I was a little shocked when I looked it up today.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I hope nobody wasted any time on the Wisconsin application since they so quickly hired the interim guy.
    Yeah, I think the job posting was a legal formality, and their choice was already determined. Would explain why Human Resources kept it open for less than a week. Also, by hiring the guy permanently rather than someone new, we don't get to refer to his short tenure as a rent-a-coach situation.

I hope nobody wasted any time on the Wisconsin application since they so quickly hired the interim guy. Insert Bo Ryan joke here.

We are starting to get a few more openings along with ones like North Carolina A&T and Arkansas State that also opened up in season. Drexel seems like it could be a reasonable job for someone and UMBC is also open.

Locally to me, Santa Clara is now open. They seem to have had reasonable-ish talent (if not Steve Nash-like) for their level in recent years so the number of losing seasons that Kerry Keating had would seem out of place. He actually won a CIT and CBI tournament each, which I think makes his overall record look better than it might be otherwise. I am not sure that the program is ever set up to reach St. Mary's levels, but they could definitely be a .500 type program that makes a minor postseason tournament regularly. Also, he looks ways older than his age and I was a little shocked when I looked it up today.
    I would much prefer working winters in Santa Clara than in Wisco. Also happens to be my wife's alma mater.

Let me know when they post the Banana Slug opening, please. I will work on tweaking my resume.

Yeah, I think the job posting was a legal formality, and their choice was already determined. Would explain why Human Resources kept it open for less than a week. Also, by hiring the guy permanently rather than someone new, we don't get to refer to his short tenure as a rent-a-coach situation.
    I wonder if the new coach will get the same perks on recruiting trips that the old coach got?

UNLV

It got an interesting early start already with UNLV firing Dave Rice. This job is intriguing with all of the local recruiting connections.
    The UNLV administration is talking about a nationwide search (or at least sit-downs with prominent coaches nationally), but Stacey Augmon is an assistant and is being promoted by some of the UNLV boosters. When he was passed over for the interim job after head coach Rice was fired mid-season, his wife tweeted, "Stacey is getting [bleeped] just like the last time he was here."

P.S. It's going to be 72F and sunny in LV today, with sunshine and temps hitting 80F this weekend. Madison, not so much.

Well if this hire somehow happened, it would result in the most alarmingly unathletic team in college basketball. Obviously, Travis Ford is still employed as of today, but given that this is Eddie Sutton speaking on the matter, it probably has a bit more weight than baseless internet speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Well if this hire somehow happened, it would result in the most alarmingly unathletic team in college basketball. ...
    No, the worst coached team.

Another job opened here locally as Rex Walters is fired at USF. This one was just a matter of time for his record to be bad enough in a season to justify it. There has been way too much drama and other issues in the program since he has been there. They may never get to the level of Bill Russell's days, but they are trying to make a commitment to be more than a .500 or so program. Eventually the UOP/(Pacific to all of you non-locals) situation will also sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would much prefer working winters in Santa Clara than in Wisco. Also happens to be my wife's alma mater.

Let me know when they post the Banana Slug opening, please. I will work on tweaking my resume.
    Now I am confused. The Santa Clara Broncos are open and not the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. One is a mid-major DI program and the other is a DII school that does not care much about sports, which explains their mascots. Both have reasonable weather.

One thing is for certain about Johnny Dawkins. If you like mild weather (without the possibility of cold summers), Stanford is probably the best school in the entire country on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    The UNLV administration is talking about a nationwide search (or at least sit-downs with prominent coaches nationally), but Stacey Augmon is an assistant and is being promoted by some of the UNLV boosters. When he was passed over for the interim job after head coach Rice was fired mid-season, his wife tweeted, "Stacey is getting [bleeped] just like the last time he was here."

P.S. It's going to be 72F and sunny in LV today, with sunshine and temps hitting 80F this weekend. Madison, not so much.
    I may take this back if they suddenly win the MWC tournament, but it seems like this was not a good opportunity to be an interim and the guy they picked has not proven that he should be given the job. Maybe it would have been better to stay above the fray and see if he could get a chance at the end. Are there any obvious choices for targets?

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Well if this hire somehow happened, it would result in the most alarmingly unathletic team in college basketball. Obviously, Travis Ford is still employed as of today, but given that this is Eddie Sutton speaking on the matter, it probably has a bit more weight than baseless internet speculation.
    I would be surprised if Ford is fired. He's a disaster, don't get me wrong. But (a) he's owed close to $10 million on one of the more ridiculous contracts in sports, (b) his best player, Phil Forte, missed most of the year and will get a medical redshirt, and (c) he has the Big12 Freshman of the Year coming back in 16-17. With Hield, Niang, Gathers, Ellis, and a couple others all graduating, OSU is likely a Top 3 team in the league next year.

If he does get the ax, the replacement would almost have to be someone like Gottlieb, who they can pay in peanuts due to (a) above. They won't be able to attract an established coach.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

What if

With Rice, I wonder if he ever had any reasonable shots to leave, especially the Arizona State job over the summer.
    Can you imagine if Hurley had waited a year...and, and, and took this job?! Would the stars have ever aligned again?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    IMO, the quick counter should be Davidson.