Thread: Vikings Go Oops

Vikings Go Oops

Blair Walsh.

Should his name be a verb?

Or the thing you say when your buddy is standing over a 5 foot putt?

Maybe Steve Bartman, Bill Buckner, and Blair Walsh can form a club. You know, get together once a year and spill drinks on each other.

Oh, my beloved Vikings...

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Blair Walsh.

Maybe Steve Bartman, Bill Buckner, and Blair Walsh can form a club. You know, get together once a year and spill drinks on each other.

at least it was a home game, and he didn't have to get on a two hour flight with 50 angry mesomorphs...horrible situation for a wee kicker. Brutal

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Blair Walsh.

Scott Norwood? Tough for the Vikes, but not as tough as for Cincinnati. To Bengal can be a verb for total self immolation in th face of long sought triumph.

he gets an insane about of $$ to kick a football.....

there are some negatives that come with the money... i feel for him...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at least it was a home game, and he didn't have to get on a two hour flight with 50 angry mesomorphs...horrible situation for a wee kicker. Brutal
    The Vikings holder (punter) didn't spin the laces away. The Seahawks punter gets to fly to Carolina with a manly turf rash on his face from his "beast mode" impersonation.

Football is a fickle game.

Shades of Ray Finkle....

who else scored for the Vikings?

Nobody.

IMO, fans should give him a break.

They shouldn't have given the wide open look to Wilson either. They killed themselves, plain and simple. I hope the Panthers stomp the Sea Buzzards into oblivion!

The moment Walsh missed the kick, all I could think of was the scene in How I Met Your Mother with Marshall Erichson telling Robin about Gary Anderson missed the kick in the "1999" NFC Championship game. Every time somebody in that bar said the name Gary Anderson, everyone pounded his fist on the nearest surface and said, "Damn!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZauryVJ8c

One odd thing -- they got the year wrong. Anderson's famous miss was in the 1998 NFC Championship game (which technically was played on Jan. 17, 1999). But every other detail of the missed kick was right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0c17edmKEU

I can just see Marshall and the other Viking fans pounding the table, "Blair Walsh ... Damn!"

There is always another side to every story.

Blair Walsh is a HERO here!! We all love him!!

I know several million people who will be happy to buy him a round.

We're all hoping we can do the same for Cam Newton after next weekend too (most of his career, Cam has worked well with this plan - until this year).

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Shades of Ray Finkle...
    Laces out Dan!!

"The laces go in the front, big guy"

Oh wait, wrong sport.

Walsh simply hooked it left like a golfer - in addition to playoff pressure, he may have rushed getting it off after Sherman nearly blocked the previous kick coming in from the right side

What happened to Walsh was what I was dreading would happen to Steelers kicker Chris Boswell on the chip shot kick to beat the Bengals Saturday night

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    ... What happened to Walsh was what I was dreading would happen to Steelers kicker Chris Boswell on the chip shot kick to beat the Bengals Saturday night
    Word.

Same thing is going to happen on an extra point in a game ending situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    One odd thing -- they got the year wrong. Anderson's famous miss was in the 1998 NFC Championship game (which technically was played on Jan. 17, 1999). But every other detail of the missed kick was right:
    The Vikings fans I know refer to their various nightmares by the calendar year in which they happen. You can do that when it's close to an annual occurrence. So that reference is correct to my ears. "'99" is synonymous with "Gary Anderson" for me. If you say "1975" a Viking fan may ask: "Drew Pearson or third Super Bowl loss?" because they both happened in '75, while the other Super Bowl losses are thought of as 1970, '74, and '77, as they occurred in January of those years. Darrin Nelson dropping the tying TD pass against Washington is '88, followed by the consecutive beatdowns by Joe Montana in '89 and '90. The 41-0 debacle against the Giants in the NFC Championship Game is 2001. Favre's implosion/Saints targeting game was 2010. "Blair Walsh" will always mean 2016 to me.

Anyway, that ending yesterday was all-too-predictable. In fact, I said to my son with 4:00 to go "This is going to end with a missed field goal." That's why I discourage him from becoming a Vikings fan.

On the silver lining side, this was a Wild Card round game for the chance to play at Arizona and probably at Carolina if they managed to beat the Cardinals. So I, at least, went in with low expectations for the postseason generally. This wasn't a team that should have made the Super Bowl, or anything. But they went toe-to-toe with the NFC's bullies, and got there by beating the Packers in Green Bay in Game 16.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    There is always another side to every story.

Blair Walsh is a HERO here!! We all love him!!

I know several million people who will be happy to buy him a round.

We're all hoping we can do the same for Cam Newton after next weekend too (most of his career, Cam has worked well with this plan - until this year).
    Watched with a rabid Seahawks fan. We were both in complete disbelief watching the miss.

I'll bet big money that the Seahawks aren't held to 10 points in any other game they play this season.

The Vikes did not help Walsh at all. The previous play they rush APete and he is trying to get the first down, but in trying he takes the ball to the left hash-mark, instead of the middle of the field. If, instead of trying for a nearly meaningless first down, the Vikes had just centered the ball, it gives Walsh a lot more room to make the kick. In fact, if they are in the middle of the field, the "shank" goes through the uprights and they win. I think being on the left hash combined with Sherman flying in from the right to try to block the kick, caused Walsh to miss it... that and the LACES OUT!

-Jason "somewhere Dan Marino is laughing" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I thought you were going to say
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Vikes did not help Walsh at all by having someone on the roster other than Blair Walsh score all day.
    All in all, he went 3/4 on a day where the ball flew like a curling stone and probably felt like it on the foot. The rest of the team put 0 points on the board. They need some sort of TD machine big WR or TE to reach the next level as a team, 'cause they spent the whole season stalling out whenever they got near the red zone. That and a healthy offensive line that can open some holes against above average defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Watched with a rabid Seahawks fan. We were both in complete disbelief watching the miss.

I'll bet big money that the Seahawks aren't held to 10 points in any other game they play this season.
    Yes, I was watching with a group entirely made up of Seahawk fans. We'd already started the "next year..." wonderings and talking about how this felt exactly like how we would get knocked out this season.