Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 82, Va Tech 58 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Mar shall Plum lee

clap clap clap clap clap

Nice lopsided win, but it was a tale of 2 halves. Very efficient O in the 1st half. It looked like the team didn't care about playing in the 2nd half.
    MP3 looks like he's playing in a different universe now than even earlier this year. I'd like to point out that MP3 only needs to score 7 more points to surpass his career total in points thru his 1st 3 years at Duke. He needs 53 more rebounds to surpass his career total prior to this year. Dude is playing on a different level than he ever has before at Duke.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 01-09-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more props for MP3

I've thought this for some time, and there may be some homerism in it, but is there a better announcer working college basketball than Mike Gminski? Doesn't have to be talking all the time, never seems to be talking down to his audience, not hyperbolic, sharp insight, etc.

May be the smartest basketball player ever at Duke. Didn't he arrive at Duke as a 16-year-old?

This team can really, really score.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I've thought this for some time, and there may be some homerism in it, but is there a better announcer working college basketball than Mike Gminski? Doesn't have to be talking all the time, never seems to be talking down to his audience, not hyperbolic, sharp insight, etc...
    Right on dudog, GMan is superb.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Marshall

Whatever happened with Marshall, it should be bottled. Yes the game plan is favorable for him and yes he is miles more aggressive out there but he also hit all but one of his many free throws. I have never seen a player make this kind of jump in his play before this. Defense was even good. Congratulations.

We have an exceptionally gifted an versatile offense not even counting Marshall. Brandon is just a great all around player. Grayson just is hard to stop and his motor is always running near the red line on both ends of the floor. Luke is more controlled. He has really good size and has excellent body control. He has many ways to score (not sure if he got 11 or he got the last tip in for 13). I like his defense as he moves his feet well and stays in front and switches well. Matt is generally steady out there and you tend not to notice him but in the end he has double figures and plays really good defense.

Our weak spot today seemed to be at point, where coach K gave Derryck a lot of minutes even though he made some bad decisions and was a non factor offensively. Even Matt seemed a little careless at the point but we can afford those problems when we dominate so. Coach K got Chase in quite a bit so that gave him a little more game experience. I notice he is showing more muscular definition so the weight room is paying off.

Great overall game and win #1032 for coach K. At this rate he will hit 1100+, an unheard of number, probably never to be matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Whatever happened with Marshall, it should be bottled. Yes the game plan is favorable for him and yes he is miles more aggressive out there but he also hit all but one of his many free throws. I have never seen a player make this kind of jump in his play before this. Defense was even good. Congratulations.

We have an exceptionally gifted an versatile offense not even counting Marshall. Brandon is just a great all around player. Grayson just is hard to stop and his motor is always running near the red line on both ends of the floor. Luke is more controlled. He has really good size and has excellent body control. He has many ways to score (not sure if he got 11 or he got the last tip in for 13). I like his defense as he moves his feet well and stays in front and switches well. Matt is generally steady out there and you tend not to notice him but in the end he has double figures and plays really good defense.

Our weak spot today seemed to be at point, where coach K gave Derryck a lot of minutes even though he made some bad decisions and was a non factor offensively. Even Matt seemed a little careless at the point but we can afford those problems when we dominate so. Coach K got Chase in quite a bit so that gave him a little more game experience. I notice he is showing more muscular definition so the weight room is paying off.

Great overall game and win #1032 for coach K. At this rate he will hit 1100+, an unheard of number, probably never to be matched.

I don't get super excited about Marshall's shots from the field because all of those are on his teammates for getting him the ball in position to dunk the ball. He's 7 feet tall, he should be able to dunk.

What I am excited about with Marshall is that he is finally catching the ball, and he is making his free throws. This adds to our offense because it gives the guards confidence to give him the ball when he's open. Chase is suffering from lost confidence not only from himself, but from his teammates, because he messes up when they get him the ball in good position to make a play. Marshall APPEARS to have moved past this.

Add that in with an improving free throw percentage (13/14 is really good), then he becomes am important asset rather than a "god please don't mess up Marshall" type of player.

Still waiting on Luke to blow up from beyond the arc, but he appears to have kind of abandoned that "shooter" approach and has become more of a scorer, which is awesome, but i'd certainly like him to be a knock down guy.

This was one of Thornton's down games for the most part. 6 assists is really good, but overall I don't think anyone would say he played particularly well. As many of us have said, he is on the learning curve, and he didn't play great today, but I have confidence in him. I really like Thornton.

3-0 to start ACC play is crucial especially because we have a pretty easy early schedule (Wake is still really inconsistent, but can be strong, especially at home). I think that we will learn a lot with the game at Clemson this week. Even though it's not Little John, Clemson is a pretty good, big, team who I think will give us some problems. We are gonna have to shoot a better percentage from 3 to win I think.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Marshall is Miles more aggressive?

Missed most of this game due to obligations, but really just over the moon about MP3's development. I can't help but think that this is what I really love about college basketball: the development of the four year player who comes into their own and hits their stride as it clicks. Think Nate James, Chris Carawell, Zoubek, MP3, Scheyer - none of them superstars, but all guys who really blossomed as things coalesced in their last year. In this day and age, it's even more rare and even more special. Something to be appreciated.

Beautiful first half. Wasn't altogether worried about the second. We'd like to be sharp, but with such a big lead and relatively short rest--you look at bigger picture.

Agree with last poster about Kennard. Really starting to excel running that banana curl to the free throw line and getting his man to commit. Grayson and Brandon were terrific, Plumlee was sensational. If Marshall keeps playing to this level, then it really makes an already potent offense more formidable. He'll make an All ACC team. Thornton is going to be very good---by late Feb, he'll be an even greater asset.

Lone minus: The Crusties are checking out this year--even moreso than in other years. Average pulse above the rail is probably high 50 bpm. This isn't the opera. Get excited, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I don't get super excited about Marshall's shots from the field because all of those are on his teammates for getting him the ball in position to dunk the ball. He's 7 feet tall, he should be able to dunk.

What I am excited about with Marshall is that he is finally catching the ball, and he is making his free throws. This adds to our offense because it gives the guards confidence to give him the ball when he's open.
    Part of the difference now is that when Marshall "catches" the ball, he looks to score rather than always looking to kick it back out. That he has shown he can catch the ball is the reason his teammates now have the confidence to throw it to him...even run plays for him...and that has gotten me super excited about another offensive possibility.

MPIII Improved...Yes!

21 points on 6-7 from the field and 9-10 free throws.
    10 rebounds with 3 offensive.
    2 blocks.
    0 turnovers
    1 foul
    I would say that's an improvement over his first 3 years. It seems he's getting the ball and not losing it to smaller players. He's fouling way less than before. With this play, his team mates have confidence getting him the ball near the basket. I loved the left handed jump hook. I really like what I see so far in this his senior year. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Beautiful first half. Wasn't altogether worried about the second. We'd like to be sharp, but with such a big lead and relatively short rest--you look at bigger picture.

Agree with last poster about Kennard. Really starting to excel running that banana curl to the free throw line and getting his man to commit. Grayson and Brandon were terrific, Plumlee was sensational. If Marshall keeps playing to this level, then it really makes an already potent offense more formidable. He'll make an All ACC team. Thornton is going to be very good---by late Feb, he'll be an even greater asset.

Lone minus: The Crusties are checking out this year--even moreso than in other years. Average pulse above the rail is probably high 50 bpm. This isn't the opera. Get excited, people.
    I love that Kennard can shoot the ball left handed or right handed on those pull up/lob shots. This makes it really hard for the defense to block the shot. Luke is a smart gifted basketball player that's going to keep getting better. Wait until the 3 ball starts dropping. GoDuke!

Also, the 1st time MP3 has had consecutive 2x-doubles (edit: he didn't have a 2x-double last game, due to only 7 rebounds). I think his eruption is more tactical than others are giving credit for, he is being positioned so that when the drivers get in the lane his man commits and leaves a lane for MP3 to catch the ball, step and explode for a dunk. Whereas before he was not getting the ball delivered to him with a clear lane very often. Remember the dreaded ISO plays we were running for him? In addition to this MP3 has dribbled aggressively from the elbow to the rim and gotten fouled or and-ones in the past 2 games as well. In addition to this, Derryck even set him up on an ISO play today and he hit a bank shot jump hook! I don't expect him to get so many driving lanes or hit on his ISO plays regularly, but the dude is playing with sky high confidence right now, and it's not just b/c others are passing him the ball and weren't before. He's getting the ball in different places and in different ways. Like i've been saying: get him the ball A) chest high or higher B) moving towards the basket and C) with some touch on it. Now he's cashing in!
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 01-09-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I love that Kennard can shoot the ball left handed or right handed on those pull up/lob shots. This makes it really hard for the defense to block the shot. Luke is a smart gifted basketball player that's going to keep getting better. Wait until the 3 ball starts dropping. GoDuke!
    I thought Kennard didn't look to score much as the game went below 10 minutes to go. We had Thornton taking quite a few shots then and he was off today. I would like to see either Ingram, Allen or Kennard to touch the ball at least once on every possession that isn't a direct open path to the basket. When any of those three touch the ball it puts a lot of pressure on the opponents defense.

I thought Kennard didn't look to score much as the game went below 10 minutes to go. We had Thornton taking quite a few shots then and he was off today. I would like to see either Ingram, Allen or Kennard to touch the ball at least once on every possession that isn't a direct open path to the basket. When any of those three touch the ball it puts a lot of pressure on the opponents defense.
    I saw the same thing regarding Thornton dribbling unnecessarily today(especially 2nd half). I wondered then and now if Coach K was trying to get him some confidence. I thought I heard Brant mention one of Thornton's team mates giving him a look after a poor play. I want to see Derryck playing good defense and being the 4th option on creating offense. Then I want Matt as the 5th option. Matt's better suited for being the guy one of the other 3 or 4 guys set up for the 3 pointer. GoDuke!

This is the first time this season I've been able to watch back to back games and it's been an impressive two games.

It seems everyone wants to talk about MP3, so I might as well add my two cents. His recent success appears to be based on the fact that he's playing with a very unselfish group of players who are more than willing to pass him the ball. The second reason is that he's getting into good scoring position, which we can chalk up to court awareness on his part.

Ingram had another great start, but tailed off for the second straight game. This might be something we keep an eye on over the next few games. Is it fatigue or just the flow of the game?

Luke is a very crafty player and for a kid who came in with the rep as a shooter has shown us he can do so much more than just lighting it up from outside.

Matt had a better game than his previous outing, but I'd really like for us to find him for more of those spot up threes and he still is good for one or two of his old man drives to the basket.

I'm really liking what I see from Derryck. Yes, he does make the mistake many young PG's make, by driving the ball to far into the defense and then having nowhere to go, but he has shown me the ability to take just about anyone off the dribble and create space for his own shot. He's been missing a lot of these short, open shots, but that fact that he can get into position for them bodes well for him in the future.

Chase has the skills to be a very good player, but like a lot of freshman it all comes down to reps. Once he gets comfortable on the court he'll be fine.

Of course no game discussion would be complete with us talking about our human pinball. Mr. Allen continues to pile up the floor burns and it's a pleasure to watch a kid who leaves it all out there game after game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post

What I am excited about with Marshall is that he is finally catching the ball, and he is making his free throws. This adds to our offense because it gives the guards confidence to give him the ball when he's open. Chase is suffering from lost confidence not only from himself, but from his teammates, because he messes up when they get him the ball in good position to make a play. Marshall APPEARS to have moved past this.

Add that in with an improving free throw percentage (13/14 is really good), then he becomes am important asset rather than a "god please don't mess up Marshall" type of player.

Still waiting on Luke to blow up from beyond the arc, but he appears to have kind of abandoned that "shooter" approach and has become more of a scorer, which is awesome, but i'd certainly like him to be a knock down guy.

This was one of Thornton's down games for the most part. 6 assists is really good, but overall I don't think anyone would say he played particularly well. As many of us have said, he is on the learning curve, and he didn't play great today, but I have confidence in him. I really like Thornton.

3-0 to start ACC play is crucial especially because we have a pretty easy early schedule (Wake is still really inconsistent, but can be strong, especially at home). I think that we will learn a lot with the game at Clemson this week. Even though it's not Little John, Clemson is a pretty good, big, team who I think will give us some problems. We are gonna have to shoot a better percentage from 3 to win I think.
    Hitting free throws is a critical skill for a big man. Marshall appears to have minimized his mechanics and is shooting a simple shot with mostly his wrist. If he catches the ball he will either dunk or get fouled. If he continues to play like this- Duke will be a very hard team to play - four scorers who can drive ( well Matt is somewhat limited) or short from deep and big guy who can dunk or hit throws. Just need to tune the D. We will see how they do against the upper echelon but there has been marked improvement.

The tailing off be our players in the past two games may well have been the result of a Coaches decision to not keep the pedal to the metal as an act of sportsmanship. We might have won by 50 if we kept pressing the attack. We did not. As a result we only won by 24. To take a player to task or to attempt to reach any conclusions based on 2nd half performances in a win of this nature is, IMO, unfair to the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The tailing off be our players in the past two games may well have been the result of a Coaches decision to not keep the pedal to the metal as an act of sportsmanship. We might have won by 50 if we kept pressing the attack. We did not. As a result we only won by 24. To take a player to task or to attempt to reach any conclusions based on 2nd half performances in a win of this nature is, IMO, unfair to the player.
    I think you are right and I also think K was experimenting with DT and his driving.

I also think that the Marshall improvement has a lot to do with K.

It's really interesting watching the new layers of ammunition that K adds to the Duke teams as they progress through a season!