Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Griffey gets the highest % ever at 99.3% (3 omissions), and Piazza joins him. Can't yet find a link to see how close other guys got.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...ll-hall-famers
    This has some other %s. http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/6/107...l-of-fame-2016

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Thanks, here's the full list - http://baseballhall.org/hof/class-of-2016.

Looks like Bagwell, Raines and Hoffman will all go in next year. Very high percentage for Hoffman in his first year, more than I would have guessed.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Was Gurufrisbee one of the three 'no' votes?

I hope 2 of the 3 people who didn't vote for Griffey are the two people who voted for David Eckstein.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Was Gurufrisbee one of the three 'no' votes?
    Throaty sighting!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Seriously, what sort of curmudgeon doesn't vote for Griffey? Disparages the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seriously, what sort of curmudgeon doesn't vote for Griffey? Disparages the process.
    You called:

beer_40543.jpg

Well, I don't have a vote but you did say curmudgeon...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I hope 2 of the 3 people who didn't vote for Griffey are the two people who voted for David Eckstein.
    Hey, Eck made the All-Star game twice. If you don't think that is the resume of a Hall of Famer, I'm not sure what I can say to convince you.

He was probably supported by the same 2 people who voted for Aaron Boone in 2015.

-Jason "most outrageous vote in recent years*... in 2014 someone voted for Jacque Jones for the Hall... that should be grounds for permanent vote revocation" Evans

*- In 2005, Jim Abbott got 13 votes, an absurd number for someone with his playing career... but the whole 1-hand thing clearly impacted those votes and I have no problem with that
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yep. That's gotta be those bitter killjoys who simply won't vote for ANY first ballot candidate, no matter who they are. Get over it, Griffey's about the easiest choice for the HOF since, well, anyone in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Yep. That's gotta be those bitter killjoys who simply won't vote for ANY first ballot candidate, no matter who they are. Get over it, Griffey's about the easiest choice for the HOF since, well, anyone in the last 20 years.
    Well, I would say that Greg Madddux was the easiest choice in the last 20 years.

8× All-Star (1988, 1992, 1994–1998, 2000)
    World Series champion (1995)
    4× NL Cy Young Award (1992–1995)
    18× Gold Glove Award (1990–2002, 2004–2008)
    3× MLB wins leader (1992, 1994, 1995)
    4× MLB ERA leader (1993–1995, 1998)

And I seem to recall some voter saying that he didn't vote for Maddux because he didn't think anyone should be unanimous. My view then, and the same with Junior, is that voters like that should lose their rights to vote. That is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, I would say that Greg Madddux was the easiest choice in the last 20 years.

8× All-Star (1988, 1992, 1994–1998, 2000)
    World Series champion (1995)
    4× NL Cy Young Award (1992–1995)
    18× Gold Glove Award (1990–2002, 2004–2008)
    3× MLB wins leader (1992, 1994, 1995)
    4× MLB ERA leader (1993–1995, 1998)

And I seem to recall some voter saying that he didn't vote for Maddux because he didn't think anyone should be unanimous. My view then, and the same with Junior, is that voters like that should lose their rights to vote. That is asinine.
    Point taken on Maddux. And yes, agreed that voters with a view like that should be stripped of their voting rights and forced to shout out of their front door every morning: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Piazza going in as a Met

Mets posted that earlier today. Our second (Seaver). (Although Gil Hodges should be in...unpaid political advertisement)

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Mets posted that earlier today. Our second (Seaver). (Although Gil Hodges should be in...unpaid political advertisement)
    Going from memory, other HOFers who played for the Mets include: Duke Snider, Richie Ashburn, Yogi Berra, Warren Spahn, Eddie Murray, Roberto Alomar, Willie Mays, Gary Carter, Rickey Henderson, Nolan Ryan.

Don't you consider ALL of these Mets first? (OK, maybe not Alomar.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Going from memory, other HOFers who played for the Mets include: Duke Snider, Richie Ashburn, Yogi Berra, Warren Spahn, Eddie Murray, Roberto Alomar, Willie Mays, Gary Carter, Rickey Henderson, Nolan Ryan.

Don't you consider ALL of these Mets first? (OK, maybe not Alomar.)
    I guess I used the criteria of whom actually is designated in the HoF as a Met, not just those who wore the uniform for a time. Of course the others played for the Mets...usually at the back end of a great career. The only one who MIGHT (I say might) have been in his prime, played for a reasonable period for us, and thus could have gone in as a Met was the Kid - Gary Carter - who had great seasons for us and brought credibility to the mid 80s team (that SHOULD have won more than one WS).

Duke was a PR thing for the new Mets in '62 (with Gil Hodges - the Dodger thing) - my first year following them in the Polo Grounds. Richie Ashburn (Phils) the same. Yogi and Warren were at the tail end of their careers and Yogi later managed us. Eddie and Roberto had basically their last paydays with us, while Nolan was a raw rookie on the Seaver-led WS team in '69 (Seaver, Koosman, Gentry and Ryan - this year's SP brought back memories of those guys). Ryan also was part of possibly our worst trade ever, for an aging Jim Fregosi brought in to move from SS to 3B. Ricky had some good years for us, but he was never a "Met" - more an A or Yankee.

And Willie. Maybe the best of the NYC "big-three" - Willie, Micky and the Duke (sounds like a song, doesn't it?). His tenure here though was sad. I still have visions of him falling down in CF in the '73 WS, along with Millan letting a grounder through his legs. It was just sad...

You forgot one other guy in the HoF - and who played for and managed us - Joe Torre, although he is of course better known for his successes in the Bronx.

If Hodges got into the HOF wouldn't he go in as a Dodger?

Though he was the manager for the '69 Mets, I don't think his managerial career was long or distinguished enough to get in that way.

Edit: Asked and answered while typing
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    If Hodges got into the HOF wouldn't he go in as a Dodger?

Though he was the manager for the '69 Mets, I don't think his managerial career was long or distinguished enough to get in that way.

Edit: Asked and answered while typing
    Probably right...He just holds a place in all Metnik hearts for '69. And most of our Dads (and perhaps Moms) were probably Dodger fans prior to the move West...

Sidd Finch would have been the second Met HOF'er behind Tom Terrific, if only he had been real.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I guess I used the criteria of whom actually is designated in the HoF as a Met, not just those who wore the uniform for a time. Of course the others played for the Mets...usually at the back end of a great career. The only one who MIGHT (I say might) have been in his prime, played for a reasonable period for us, and thus could have gone in as a Met was the Kid - Gary Carter - who had great seasons for us and brought credibility to the mid 80s team (that SHOULD have won more than one WS).

Duke was a PR thing for the new Mets in '62 (with Gil Hodges - the Dodger thing) - my first year following them in the Polo Grounds. Richie Ashburn (Phils) the same. Yogi and Warren were at the tail end of their careers and Yogi later managed us. Eddie and Roberto had basically their last paydays with us, while Nolan was a raw rookie on the Seaver-led WS team in '69 (Seaver, Koosman, Gentry and Ryan - this year's SP brought back memories of those guys). Ryan also was part of possibly our worst trade ever, for an aging Jim Fregosi brought in to move from SS to 3B. Ricky had some good years for us, but he was never a "Met" - more an A or Yankee.

And Willie. Maybe the best of the NYC "big-three" - Willie, Micky and the Duke (sounds like a song, doesn't it?). His tenure here though was sad. I still have visions of him falling down in CF in the '73 WS, along with Millan letting a grounder through his legs. It was just sad...

You forgot one other guy in the HoF - and who played for and managed us - Joe Torre, although he is of course better known for his successes in the Bronx.
    I did put in a smiley face when I said they were ALL Mets first. I agree, Carter's the only other one who could have chosen a Mets hat, but theHOF felt the Expos wouldn't have one otherwise, I guess. (Not sure what hat Andre has, and perhaps Raines will have an Expos hat when he finally makes it.)

Torre went in as a manager, so I wasn't considering his playing career, although many felt he should be in as a player as well (not that they would induct you twice like Springfield does.). I think he's the only HOF caliber player who also had a Hall of Fame managing career. Most top players have been poor managers.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I did put in a smiley face when I said they were ALL Mets first. I agree, Carter's the only other one who could have chosen a Mets hat, but theHOF felt the Expos wouldn't have one otherwise, I guess. (Not sure what hat Andre has, and perhaps Raines will have an Expos hat when he finally makes it.)

Torre went in as a manager, so I wasn't considering his playing career, although many felt he should be in as a player as well (not that they would induct you twice like Springfield does.). I think he's the only HOF caliber player who also had a Hall of Fame managing career. Most top players have been poor managers.
    I caught the smiley face. Was just in an expansive mood I guess.

As for Andre, per Wikipedia, "Dawson was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2010, his ninth year of eligibility, rising from an initial vote total of 45.3% in 2002 to 77.9% in 2010. Dawson's Hall of Fame plaque depicts him with a Montreal Expos cap."

The Kid went in in 2003. While he expressed the desire to be enshrined with the Mets cap, the decision was the Hall's. I think they believed that his admission was based on performance in Montreal vs NY, so they determined that he should be shown as an Expo. (12 years an Expo, 5 a Met) I also think he joked that they should have one of those "two logo'd" hats so he could have both the Expos and the Mets on the cap. He'll always be a Met to us, especially with his contributions in '86 and his skills, leadership, grace and enthusiasm. NYC grieved when he died in 2012 after a nine month battle with brain cancer.

I grew up as a Met's fan. I am the proud owner of a Sidd Finch rookie card:

image.jpg

And was able to take this picture from spring training back in the day:

image.jpg

Ah, what could have been . . . .