Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Durham

    WBB: Duke at Syracuse


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post
    Other Duke notes: Furnished from another Duke board.

    Committed a season-high 32 turnovers, which is the most under coach P in her nine years

    Worst loss to an unranked opponent since Clemson (36) on Feb. 5, 1979

    Tied for the worst loss under Coach P 36 points (at UConn, 1-31-11)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    ouch

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post
    Other Duke notes: Furnished from another Duke board.

    Committed a season-high 32 turnovers, which is the most under coach P in her nine years

    Worst loss to an unranked opponent since Clemson (36) on Feb. 5, 1979

    Tied for the worst loss under Coach P 36 points (at UConn, 1-31-11)
    Yeah - This was embarrassing. I have been a consistent Coach P supporter (have flamed aswewere a couple of times for over-the-top comments) - but now I just don't know - there is so much talent on this team, but ...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Yeah - This was embarrassing. I have been a consistent Coach P supporter (have flamed aswewere a couple of times for over-the-top comments) - but now I just don't know - there is so much talent on this team, but ...
    I'm with you on this. My patience is getting short and thin. There needs to be some real improvement.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    They have achieved unwatchability.

  7. #7

    Reality Check

    Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post
    I am sure that this will draw the ire of some-particularly the McCallie apologists-but I comment with some perspective. I have been a football, mens basketball and women's basketball season ticket holder for three decades so I am in no way a fair weather fan. I have not missed a home football game in 15 years. I am a Duke grad and LOVE all things Duke. I support the Devils in both their winning streaks and their challenging seasons. And in this history I think I, like others, can see reality beyond just wins and losses.

    In women's basketball there is a huge divide between both UConn and the other top 10 programs and then between the top 10 programs and all the rest. Duke was clearly prior to McCallie's arrival and for the first couple years of her tenure a top 10 program. Duke's slip to "the rest" category has come bit by bit and continues to be painful to watch. While she has had excellent recruiting classes she quite simply cannot coach at a competitive level that is consistent with the program's aspirations. Today's outcome was terribly embarrassing but most importantly the Duke team was in no way prepared for competition against this particular opponent and their coach was unable to provide any effective leadership and direction/adjustment during the game to, at the least, allow them to complete the game with pride and respect for the Duke brand. Yes, we are young but we are highly talented and regarded and there is a huge difference between youth and lack of development. The off the court player issues during the past few years and the significantly decreased interest in the program as reflected in game attendance during the past couple of years must be acknowledged. We must also recognize that Coach McCallie and her staff are recruiting what is reported to be top-notch talent that are not developing and in some cases are regressing through her coaching.

    Dr. White is doing an amazing job with Duke athletics within the scope of Duke's academic mission and commitment to excellence in all things. Effective leaders must be able to recogize when actual harm is being done to a component of the overall athletics program. I will continue to support our women's team; however, I have reached the conclusion that our future cannot be left to Coach McCallie and we must look elsewhere for restoration of the program to at least where we were several years ago.

  8. #8
    watching the postgame presser. It's kind of interesting how much Coach P relies on the box score for talking points - and to know the opposing players' names. Perhaps a minor point.

    It appears her contract is through 2019 - this and 3 more seasons. Not sure of details.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westport, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by dubldvman View Post
    I am sure that this will draw the ire of some-particularly the McCallie apologists-but I comment with some perspective. I have been a football, mens basketball and women's basketball season ticket holder for three decades so I am in no way a fair weather fan. I have not missed a home football game in 15 years. I am a Duke grad and LOVE all things Duke. I support the Devils in both their winning streaks and their challenging seasons. And in this history I think I, like others, can see reality beyond just wins and losses.

    In women's basketball there is a huge divide between both UConn and the other top 10 programs and then between the top 10 programs and all the rest. Duke was clearly prior to McCallie's arrival and for the first couple years of her tenure a top 10 program. Duke's slip to "the rest" category has come bit by bit and continues to be painful to watch. While she has had excellent recruiting classes she quite simply cannot coach at a competitive level that is consistent with the program's aspirations. Today's outcome was terribly embarrassing but most importantly the Duke team was in no way prepared for competition against this particular opponent and their coach was unable to provide any effective leadership and direction/adjustment during the game to, at the least, allow them to complete the game with pride and respect for the Duke brand. Yes, we are young but we are highly talented and regarded and there is a huge difference between youth and lack of development. The off the court player issues during the past few years and the significantly decreased interest in the program as reflected in game attendance during the past couple of years must be acknowledged. We must also recognize that Coach McCallie and her staff are recruiting what is reported to be top-notch talent that are not developing and in some cases are regressing through her coaching.

    Dr. White is doing an amazing job with Duke athletics within the scope of Duke's academic mission and commitment to excellence in all things. Effective leaders must be able to recognize when actual harm is being done to a component of the overall athletics program. I will continue to support our women's team; however, I have reached the conclusion that our future cannot be left to Coach McCallie and we must look elsewhere for restoration of the program to at least where we were several years ago.
    When someone of this stature within the Iron Dukes organization says this, Coach P is certainly in trouble.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Troubling. Very, very troubling.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Troubling. Very, very troubling.
    Yep. One thing to lose like this to UConn - but Cuse? The team - including the coaching staff- are clearly having issues.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    watching the postgame presser. It's kind of interesting how much Coach P relies on the box score for talking points - and to know the opposing players' names. Perhaps a minor point.

    It appears her contract is through 2019 - this and 3 more seasons. Not sure of details.
    she isn't the most eloquent in pressers...I can't decide if her attitude in them is simply not having the proper filters when talking to the media, or whether she actually has the sometimes negative attitude that comes through in the sessions. (such as saying "i'm not looking for positives" one game, and then claiming the team isn't playing with enough positive emotion the next)

    She has always used numbers to refer to the opposition. Personally I don't make very much out of that. Yes, it's grating and shows a certain lack of respect, especially when so often playing against all americans and future pros, but it may also be just how she views the game...simpler to just learn numbers rather than names for 40 games a year.

    Yes this outcome was dissappointing, but i'm still willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt and let them play out the year. teams sometimes have bad games, and despite having had a couple so far, we still have a lot of opportunity left for the ACC season.
    Last edited by uh_no; 01-03-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    basketball is back, baby!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dubldvman View Post
    I am sure that this will draw the ire of some-particularly the McCallie apologists-but I comment with some perspective. I have been a football, mens basketball and women's basketball season ticket holder for three decades so I am in no way a fair weather fan. I have not missed a home football game in 15 years. I am a Duke grad and LOVE all things Duke. I support the Devils in both their winning streaks and their challenging seasons. And in this history I think I, like others, can see reality beyond just wins and losses.

    In women's basketball there is a huge divide between both UConn and the other top 10 programs and then between the top 10 programs and all the rest. Duke was clearly prior to McCallie's arrival and for the first couple years of her tenure a top 10 program. Duke's slip to "the rest" category has come bit by bit and continues to be painful to watch. While she has had excellent recruiting classes she quite simply cannot coach at a competitive level that is consistent with the program's aspirations. Today's outcome was terribly embarrassing but most importantly the Duke team was in no way prepared for competition against this particular opponent and their coach was unable to provide any effective leadership and direction/adjustment during the game to, at the least, allow them to complete the game with pride and respect for the Duke brand. Yes, we are young but we are highly talented and regarded and there is a huge difference between youth and lack of development. The off the court player issues during the past few years and the significantly decreased interest in the program as reflected in game attendance during the past couple of years must be acknowledged. We must also recognize that Coach McCallie and her staff are recruiting what is reported to be top-notch talent that are not developing and in some cases are regressing through her coaching.

    Dr. White is doing an amazing job with Duke athletics within the scope of Duke's academic mission and commitment to excellence in all things. Effective leaders must be able to recogize when actual harm is being done to a component of the overall athletics program. I will continue to support our women's team; however, I have reached the conclusion that our future cannot be left to Coach McCallie and we must look elsewhere for restoration of the program to at least where we were several years ago.
    Great post! It's taking others longer, but eventually all will see what I've seen. In person, the lack of preparedness has been obvious. Also, the fact that the team is not on the same page as the coach has been equally obvious. Put simply - the team does not believe in her schemes. Some players try to always be where they're supposed to be, but, at different times they revert to their instincts. But since the other players are playing in a scheme, that doesn't work either. As a friend on another site said - this was not prepared. Geno said some teams practice until they learn to do it right - UConn practices until they cannot do it wrong. Sure, Geno gets the best players. But he also puts in the time, makes sure to engage all the players and does not let them go until they really learn what he wants them to learn at any practice. The Syracuse press was not a secret. Plenty of tape has been available throughout the fall so plenty of opportunity to get reps on breaking this press. There is no excuse for putting a product out like this. No excuse. McCallie always blames the players. This one is blatantly on her 100%. If the players aren't on board with her schemes, that's on her. The buck stops with her. At this rate we'll be completely out of the top 25 before we get new leadership to take us back up where we were before she arrived. We are sinking like a rock.

  14. #14

    well said

    Quote Originally Posted by dubldvman View Post
    I am sure that this will draw the ire of some-particularly the McCallie apologists-but I comment with some perspective. I have been a football, mens basketball and women's basketball season ticket holder for three decades so I am in no way a fair weather fan. I have not missed a home football game in 15 years. I am a Duke grad and LOVE all things Duke. I support the Devils in both their winning streaks and their challenging seasons. And in this history I think I, like others, can see reality beyond just wins and losses.

    In women's basketball there is a huge divide between both UConn and the other top 10 programs and then between the top 10 programs and all the rest. Duke was clearly prior to McCallie's arrival and for the first couple years of her tenure a top 10 program. Duke's slip to "the rest" category has come bit by bit and continues to be painful to watch. While she has had excellent recruiting classes she quite simply cannot coach at a competitive level that is consistent with the program's aspirations. Today's outcome was terribly embarrassing but most importantly the Duke team was in no way prepared for competition against this particular opponent and their coach was unable to provide any effective leadership and direction/adjustment during the game to, at the least, allow them to complete the game with pride and respect for the Duke brand. Yes, we are young but we are highly talented and regarded and there is a huge difference between youth and lack of development. The off the court player issues during the past few years and the significantly decreased interest in the program as reflected in game attendance during the past couple of years must be acknowledged. We must also recognize that Coach McCallie and her staff are recruiting what is reported to be top-notch talent that are not developing and in some cases are regressing through her coaching.

    Dr. White is doing an amazing job with Duke athletics within the scope of Duke's academic mission and commitment to excellence in all things. Effective leaders must be able to recogize when actual harm is being done to a component of the overall athletics program. I will continue to support our women's team; however, I have reached the conclusion that our future cannot be left to Coach McCallie and we must look elsewhere for restoration of the program to at least where we were several years ago.

    Thanks so much for posting this! Completely agree with your assessment of the program. (I have generally avoided ever posting about WBB for fear of straying beyond the board guidelines.)

    My first Duke football game was in 1957 and have always tried to attend any Duke athletic event whenever I'm in Durham. However, I can no longer bear to watch/follow WBB. It's simply too painful, and at my age, have been encouraged to avoid the stress.

    Was at the LBS game last Wednesday and was thinking how much I miss attending the WBB games. Very sad.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    greater New Orleans area

    Press

    I didn't see the game. Sounds like the young WBB team got rattled by the Syracuse press. The Coach is a pretty good defensive coach, but is challenged on the other end of the court...did they get rattled or just weren't ready?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I didn't see the game. Sounds like the young WBB team got rattled by the Syracuse press. The Coach is a pretty good defensive coach, but is challenged on the other end of the court...did they get rattled or just weren't ready?
    From what I saw, switching to and from the Carolina Panthers game, the women were rattled from the start. I know that there are some posters here who wouldn't put it past Coach McCallie to totally ignore teaching the team the fundamentals of beating the press, but I am not among them.

    Nevertheless, 32 turnovers are painful to watch. You can't stay in any game doing that.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, GA

    Breaking the press

    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    From what I saw, switching to and from the Carolina Panthers game, the women were rattled from the start. I know that there are some posters here who wouldn't put it past Coach McCallie to totally ignore teaching the team the fundamentals of beating the press, but I am not among them.

    Nevertheless, 32 turnovers are painful to watch. You can't stay in any game doing that.
    Yes, 32 turnovers are very painful to watch. I stopped watching at the start of the 4th quarter.

    The majority of turnovers were due to Duke trying to dribble against the press, or dribbling into a corner. I screamed "Don't dribble" at the TV numerous times. My son's 8th-grade CYO coach taught how to break a press. Do not dribble, and try to have your tallest player flash to the center of the court to receive a pass. Even the ESPN announcer said Syracuse will press (no surprise there) and Duke should stop trying to dribble. I think there were 5 consecutive possessions in the 1st quarter where Duke turned over the ball against the press. They looked so unprepared to face the press. Even when they tried to pass, it was one-handed or slow and lazy passes. The Syracuse press was good, but not world-beating good. Maddening, just maddening.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    When someone of this stature within the Iron Dukes organization says this, Coach P is certainly in trouble.
    I agree with the original post completely. However, when you say "when someone of this stature within the Iron Dukes organization says this," you lose me.
    Maybe I missed it, but who mentioned whether this person is even an Iron Duke, and what does "this stature" refer to? As the legal types often say, seems to
    assume facts not in evidence (as far as I can tell anyway). But I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I agree with the original post completely. However, when you say "when someone of this stature within the Iron Dukes organization says this," you lose me.
    Maybe I missed it, but who mentioned whether this person is even an Iron Duke, and what does "this stature" refer to? As the legal types often say, seems to
    assume facts not in evidence (as far as I can tell anyway). But I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.
    I think anyone who has been a longtime season ticket holder in men's hoops would have to be an Iron Duke. Whether the poster in question has "stature" beyond making the contribution necessary to secure MBB season tickets ($4000+), I think there is no way of knowing that.

    -Jason
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whether the poster in question has "stature" beyond making the contribution necessary to secure MBB season tickets ($4000+), I think there is no way of knowing that.

    -Jason
    Break out the cinder blocks.
    basketball is back, baby!

Similar Threads

  1. WBB: #13 Duke 74, #21 Syracuse 72
    By wandalee in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 11:01 AM
  2. FB: Duke 27 - Syracuse 10
    By hurleyfor3 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 08:45 PM
  3. WBB: Duke 86, Syracuse 53
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM
  4. MLAX: Duke vs. Syracuse
    By 4decadedukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •