See'ya Later, Meadowlark Lemon

RIP
    You bought happiness and delight to millions all around the world.
    Mission accomplished. Well done.

World-wide, Lemon is probably the most famous basketball player to ever come out of Wilmington, NC (and yes, that includes that guy who starred in the NBA .. Meadowlark was the face of basketball in places where they never heard of Michael Jordan).

His career illustrates some of the hurdles black basketball players had to endure in the pre-integration era. Growing up in Wilmington and unable to play on the public courts that were reserved for whites, Lemon had to fashion his own goal out of an onion sack and a coat hanger. His first “ball” was an empty Carnation Milk can. The facilities were only slightly better at Williston High School (a school chosen in his senior year to test in court the separate but equal fiction that ruled in North Carolina at the time). Even though Lemon led Williston to a black state title in 1952, there were no college offers and he served two years in the Army before finally hooking up with the Globetrotters.

I would argue that North Carolina has produced two of the greatest characters ever to grace the basketball court -- Lemon and the late Bones McKinney. What a great entertainer! And his comic presence often obscured his basketball abilities (think about the halfcourt hook shot he attempted in every game -- and maybe well over half the time)!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    World-wide, Lemon is probably the most famous basketball player to ever come out of Wilmington, NC (and yes, that includes that guy who starred in the NBA .. Meadowlark was the face of basketball in places where they never heard of Michael Jordan).

His career illustrates some of the hurdles black basketball players had to endure in the pre-integration era. Growing up in Wilmington and unable to play on the public courts that were reserved for whites, Lemon had to fashion his own goal out of an onion sack and a coat hanger. His first “ball” was an empty Carnation Milk can. The facilities were only slightly better at Williston High School (a school chosen in his senior year to test in court the separate but equal fiction that ruled in North Carolina at the time). Even though Lemon led Williston to a black state title in 1952, there were no college offers and he served two years in the Army before finally hooking up with the Globetrotters.

I would argue that North Carolina has produced two of the greatest characters ever to grace the basketball court -- Lemon and the late Bones McKinney. What a great entertainer! And his comic presence often obscured his basketball abilities (think about the halfcourt hook shot he attempted in every game -- and maybe well over half the time)!
    I would add "Pistol Pete" Maravich to your list.
    ~rthomas

I love the guy. Saw him many times, beginning in Hershey, PA in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I would add "Pistol Pete" Maravich to your list.
    I'd love to claim Pistol Pete, but he only spent three years of his life in North Carolina. He was born in Aliquippa, Pa., and first became a prep star at Daniels High in South Carolina.

When his father got the head job at NC State, he transferred to Raleigh Broughton High for two years, then played one year of post-grad ball at the Edwards Military Academy before going to LSU. He would have gone to NC State if he could have met the ACC's 800 rule (that's why he went to Edwards, to try and get eligible).

And while he was a charismatic player, I don't think he was nearly the "character" -- as I understand the usage of the word as Lemon of McKinney.

When we were little, we used to argue all the time how well Meadowlark's Globetrotters would do if they played in the NBA. Half of us could never understand why they were considered good because all they ever did was ballhandling drills, clown routines, and maybe 15 minutes of serious ball against a bunch of schmoes called the Washington Generals. The other half of our crew said Meadowlark, Curly Neal, Marquis Haynes and crew were so good they could do all those things and play great ball if they wanted, but the NBA teams were too chicken to play because the Trotters used to crush them whenever they played for real. And since NBA legend like Wilt and Connie Hawkins once played for the Trotters, that meant they only carried NBA-level talent on their roster.

Alas, I think I figured out the answer a long time ago, but I miss those kinds of playground discussions.

A smile that wrapped around the world. Godspeed Meadowlark Lemon!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    And since NBA legend like Wilt and Connie Hawkins once played for the Trotters, that meant they only carried NBA-level talent on their roster.
    I liked your post, but need to point out a flaw in your logic - perhaps a mistake in your wording. Just because SOME Globetrotters later became NBA players (and legends), that does not mean that they ONLY carried NBA-level talent on their roster. It could have been a mix ... and probably was.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'd love to claim Pistol Pete, but he only spent three years of his life in North Carolina. He was born in Aliquippa, Pa., and first became a prep star at Daniels High in South Carolina.

When his father got the head job at NC State, he transferred to Raleigh Broughton High for two years, then played one year of post-grad ball at the Edwards Military Academy before going to LSU. He would have gone to NC State if he could have met the ACC's 800 rule (that's why he went to Edwards, to try and get eligible).

And while he was a charismatic player, I don't think he was nearly the "character" -- as I understand the usage of the word as Lemon of McKinney.
    As someone who identifies Kyrie Irving as a lifetime Dukie although he only played 11 games, i choose to identify Pistol Pete as a lifetime North Carolinian since he went to high school for two years in our great state - bis formative years at that.

And there was also Curly Neal.
    ~rthomas

Wilt Chamberlain (who played for the Harlem Globetrotters with Meadowlark for a year in 1958 instead of finishing his senior year at the University of Kansas) said this:
    In one of the last interviews of his life, Wilt Chamberlain spoke of regrets, his history with women and the man he thought was the best basketball player of all time.

Believe it or not, Meadowlark Lemon.

"Meadowlark was the most sensational, awesome, incredible basketball player I've ever seen," Chamberlain said. "People would say it would be Dr. J or even (Michael) Jordan. For me it would be Meadowlark Lemon." http://static.espn.go.com/nba/news/1...12/110905.html

I'll never forget the first time I saw the Globetrotters in person: it was in 1968 or '69, so I would have been 11 or 12 years old. At the Greensboro Coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'll never forget the first time I saw the Globetrotters in person: it was in 1968 or '69, so I would have been 11 or 12 years old. At the Greensboro Coliseum.
    For me, early to mid 70s, nosebleed seats at the then-version of the Boston Garden. The steps going up to the various rows were the steepest I had encountered to date in my life. Once safely seated, had a great time ... until it was time to walk down said stairs. Probably scooted down on my rear, but don't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I liked your post, but need to point out a flaw in your logic - perhaps a mistake in your wording. Just because SOME Globetrotters later became NBA players (and legends), that does not mean that they ONLY carried NBA-level talent on their roster. It could have been a mix ... and probably was.
    Nope, that was exactly the argument from the pro-Trotter contingent back then. Most 10 or 11 year old kids are not well versed in the rules of logic, and will actually blatantly ignore gaping holes or try to hide them by turning up the volume.

The Trotters' annual stop in Pittsburgh was always between Christmas and New Year's in the old Igloo. Since we didn't have an NBA team, that was the best we could do, and I think that's why some in the neighborhood WANTED them to be better than an NBA team. I saw them a few times before I became an old disillusioned cynical teenager.

When I was growing up, it seemed that ABC had the HGs on every Sunday. Always laughed at the antics, and marveled at the skills. The chase with the bucket of confetti always was great, even though everyone knew (generally) what was going to happen. And Meadowlark's continuous chatting...

Red Klotz (all 5'7" of him) probably greeted Meadowlark on the other side, along with Marques Haynes (whom we lost this year as well).

RIP Meadowlark...and thanks for the fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

And there was also Curly Neal.
    One that continues to live in Greensboro and can be seen around town, from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    ... The chase with the bucket of confetti always was great, even though everyone knew (generally) what was going to happen...
    Way to ruin the suspense!

But I loved the show too!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Way to ruin the suspense!

But I loved the show too!
    Sorry, Weez. Guess I should have labeled it as a "spoiler alert."