Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steve Harvey announces wrong winner at Miss Universe pageant

Unbelievable gaffe not corrected for at least three minutes. The first "winner", Miss Columbia, had the crown on her head and the Miss Universe sash draped over her shoulder. All hell must have been breaking loose out of camera shot. As she just stood waiting to walk and wave, finally Harvey announced that a mistake had been made. Miss Phillipines, who had to be convinced she had won by the second runner-up, Miss USA, finally went up to stand beside Miss Columbia. Columbia probably had no idea what was going on, because she required an interpreter for the question and answer portion of the competition. Harvey took responsibility finally, then walked off the stage. As the show left the air, the winner finally got the crown, but the runner-up still wore the sash.

What a screw-up! Harvey didn't follow the universal order of such pageants. Instead of announcing who the runner-up was and quickly saying the other contestant was the winner, he just announced the winner. I thought he stretched out the drama a bit long. He was just confused, I guess.

So, who won? Miss Phillipines?

Yes. She was a good choice. One of the biggest cheers of the night came when Perez Hilton ( one of the judges) mentioned that Donald Trump was no longer the owner of the pageant.

What was awful is that it took [what seemed to be] so long for it to be rectified, and then literally the crown had to be taken off Miss Colombia's head and given to Miss Phillipines.

Miss Philippines, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach
    Bob Green

So, someone ran down some people on the sidewalks outside of the hotel where the pageant was taking place. I'm sure we will know more later, but a sad day.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Miss Philippines, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach
    It's been corrected but Harvey's twitter apology originally spelled her country Phillipinas. Fair to say this was his last pageant.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    It's been corrected but Harvey's twitter apology originally spelled her country Phillipinas. Fair to say this was his last pageant.
    I thought he was a bit out of his element anyway. There was very little room to wisecrack and show off his sense of humor. The show was terribly long and drawn out. The format was even hokier than the usual pageant mess.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I have stepped up

and said I would host next year, for free.

I promise you I will read the card correctly.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    and said I would host next year, for free.

I promise you I will read the card correctly.

SoCal
    . You'll deserve more than Harvey got, if they haven't taken it back. I'm not eligible. I misspelled Colombia, too
    Last edited by killerleft; 12-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    . You'll deserve more than Harvey got, if they haven't taken it back. I'm not eligible. I misspelled Colombia, too
    I misspelled Phillippines also.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I misspelled Phillippines also.
    worse yet, I pronounce it "Guam"

Finally, something to make one of these insipid events interesting.
    ~rthomas

Funny, when I spelled it with "pp" my spell check flagged it.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    What was awful is that it took [what seemed to be] so long for it to be rectified, and then literally the crown had to be taken off Miss Colombia's head and given to Miss Phillipines.
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    Funny, when I spelled it with "pp" my spell check flagged it.
    The spell check was probably flagging the double L. Philippines, like Philip pines. You just have to remember the single L.

Colombia is trickier. There's no great mnemonic for that, unless you consider that Sofia Vergara is from there, and you may choose to think of the Os as, um, symmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The spell check was probably flagging the double L. Philippines, like Philip pines. You just have to remember the single L.

Colombia is trickier. There's no great mnemonic for that, unless you consider that Sofia Vergara is from there, and you may choose to think of the Os as, um, symmetrical.
    Good clue, thanks.

As for Colombia, I have an easy memory trick for that one. A good friend is from Colombia, and she'll smack me if I misspell it.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Finally, something to make one of these insipid events interesting.
    ...and for this reason, a bit of cynicism shows up in my head.

Will the ratings for this show rise for the next few years? Is the public gonna be watching and hoping for another trainwreck?
    What does Harvey stand to lose from this? Might he gain sympathy from it? Mmmm...

Win/win situation, perhaps?

Was it pre-planned?

Oooo goody! A Miss Univ conspiracy theory!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I have a better one. There's BETTING on these things. Miss Colombia is ANNOUNCED as the winner was paying at +650. Miss Philippines winning was at +550. So BOTH bets paid that night. I think an organized crime gambling ring got to Steve Harvey!

Going back to get my tin foil hat.