Coach K snubbed ...

Business Week just published its list of the 100 most influential sports figures in the world (http://www.businessweek.com/table/07/0926_power100.htm). Coach K was somehow left off. I admit that my view of the world is skewed, and many sports such as auto racing do not get my attention, but I find K's omission surprising. Anyone else have comments on this?

As far as i can tell, there is not one college-level athlete/administrator. I know K is the Olympic coach, but he is really a college coach. Exusable ommision, IMO. Of course, the list is silly to begin with, and I think just an attempt to generate posts on thier discussion boards.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Business Week just published its list of the 100 most influential sports figures in the world (http://www.businessweek.com/table/07/0926_power100.htm). Coach K was somehow left off. I admit that my view of the world is skewed, and many sports such as auto racing do not get my attention, but I find K's omission surprising. Anyone else have comments on this?
    16. Myles Brand President, CEO, NCAA appears to be the only one associated with college athletics. NO college presidents, coaches or others listed. Maybe they are only considering pro sports.

Re: Business Week list

The accompanying article discloses the following: "We gave our panelists several criteria to help guide them. Among the measures: how individuals rate vs. their peers; how much money they control, generate, or influence; how long people have exercised power; and their long-term impact on a sport or the larger world of sports."

Excuse me, but does anyone really think that Magic Johnson presently has any significant influence in the world of sports? A legend, yes. But influential? I don't think so.

In my opinion there are few sports figures more influential in corporate America right now than Coach K.

Thanks for the comments.

if youre talking about being influential in the business world, then you need to reconsider magic johnson - his movie theaters and starbucks franchises are not only financially successful in urban areas but are a great example of a wealthy person investing in inner cities, which imho is quite important.

but leaving coach k off this list is total crap. hes too powerful. also, i saw him this morning. he drove past me in his escalade at a reasonable speed. what a guy.

Lets see now -- is that the same Myles Brand who wanted to ban any college from post season play if they used an indian name (eg Fla State Seminoles)? Why, I believe it is.

No one said the people had to be bright or make sense...just be powerful.

Actually I think the triangle is blessed with three of the finest men to coach sports period in Coach K, Coach Williams, and Coach Lowe. i don't care what any list says!

This is the 5th most irrelevant ranking I've seen this year.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I don't disagree...

Throatybeard, I don't disagree. I just saw it and thought it would be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is the 5th most irrelevant ranking I've seen this year.
    Can you rank the others for us?

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    I believe his point is that rankings/lists tend to be stupid.

On the other hand, he may have a list of irrelevant stuff he has seen this year... which certainly would be cool to see.

As an aside, my favorite is when there is a slow day in baseball-- like only 2 games on the schedule and Baseball Tonight still has to do a top 5 Web Gems. You get stuff like routine po-ups to the second baseman as #4.

--Jason

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I believe his point is that rankings/lists tend to be stupid.--Jason
    Some are better than others, if you can figure them out, as in a certain poll that seems to morph whenever I look.

grey "I usually can't choose between vanilla and chocolate" beard

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I believe his point is that rankings/lists tend to be stupid.

On the other hand, he may have a list of irrelevant stuff he has seen this year... which certainly would be cool to see.

As an aside, my favorite is when there is a slow day in baseball-- like only 2 games on the schedule and Baseball Tonight still has to do a top 5 Web Gems. You get stuff like routine po-ups to the second baseman as #4.

--Jason
    I knew that. Usually I would've stuck a smiley face at the end of my statement, bit in this case I just wanted to keep my comment in the same style.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    I dunno, but "Who's Now" has gotta top the list.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I dunno, but "Who's Now" has gotta top the list.
    I thought I had sufficiently scrubbed that from my memory. Thanks for dredging it back up.
    "Who's Now" was the last straw that pushed me fully into "I don't watch SportsCenter anymore" territory. Now I go with Mike & Mike in the morning (if I watch anything at all), and I spend the 6:00 hour reading books instead of consuming the televised equivalent of junk food.